• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Event: RP Secret Santa 2021

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
  • Hello hello~

I think I can agree with pretty much Cubeth has said, from this period just being hectic in general to the potential of Discord... if that helps, I've already used threads over on the main PC servers for Challenge events and it's been going well so far- Moderoids as far as I know are fine with setting threads up and they can always be archived later.

Now though, can we please also talk about who made who? I know it's my fault for not saying anything when I signed up but... don't you know I have zero sense of humor? And... really, mistaking flipping people off for a cheerful greeting? Who even...
    Ok, jokes aside, I'm sorry I couldn't do much better with "Ellie but with an F". I suppose part of the problem was giving them even more traits I'm not used to write (like barely knowing English), which- and here's the key point- only make writing as them take even more time than it should, but I hope I can still try and build something up from this concept if there's another setting that works with them ♥

This event really fits quick posts where you just write with your gut, uh? :woop:

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I made Yūrei Tanaka - macho's character! Got inspired by Yu Yu Hakusho; and love detective like characters, soooo, yeah!

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • My character was pretty fun as well, even if I could barely even write as her for the reason stated above (I have some ideas on who could've made her too hehe).

It's January 3 here so I may as well... it was me. I made Lily ♥

I'm genuinely curious to know who you were thinking about there, Cube... even if I suppose it was easy to guess that if you know me well enough! I'll say the original idea I had was to make a Zorua, but I wasn't sure whether or not this RP setting allowed Pokémon so I went with the next best thing.
    Now, did I specifically ask you to JP with me so that the char I made would get more time in the spotlight? Uh... no, I would never! Ok, maybe just a little... oops... hehe~

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I'm quoting everyone but please read everything- a few of you made similar points so I consolidated a bit :)

My fault really; IIIII kinda lost track of time; the only time I had to write during that time was during the late evenings for me when I was dead tired from work, buuut, in terms of prompts it wasn't that tough. I was just like, 'I'll write it later, I'll write it later' - I kinda put it off writing too much by the time the deadline kinda came out, I was at a I knew I forgotten something approach...

But, I will use my character in future scenarios - I wrote up a small introduction for them!
    I'm glad to hear you'll use them but sad to hear you had a busy work schedule for the whole time. Hopefully next year won't be so busy!

I don't really know if something can be done at all when it comes to giving people more time considering holidays are, for most people, busy times, and both Anna and loomsie know full well I also had like 5 million assignments due for this month, so there's not much that can be done on that regard since it depends mostly on how we administrate our time.

Something I think is necessary is letting us know what timezone we are working with, though. Like I think we were working on the Australian one, considering we had to send our chars to GP, but I didn't know that when I woke up the 14th to his msg telling me time was running out and I thought I still had a whole day and ended up rushing things a bit. It's something that goes back to the time administration thing as well.

The prompt itself was pretty easy to work with imo, I think it was easier than last year's, actually. My character was pretty fun as well, even if I could barely even write as her for the reason stated above (I have some ideas on who could've made her too hehe).

Also if these events are meant to be jp focused, is there a reason why we didn't have a discord server/group chat of some kind to organize things better? I think it's easier to know everyone else and their takes on their characters that way, and we could also help each other out if someone is stuck and/or doesn't know what to do with the prompt. RP is about collaborative writing, so I don't see why this wouldn't work :thinkrem:
    We'll make sure to give more solid times for the next event for sure; scheduling in these wild times is always a bit rocky so I can see how more definition can help~

As for Discord discussion- I'd def like to try having a thread in the writer's channel next time! I think you're right in that having immediate access to each other is helpful- anyone could absolutely use the OOC as well but as per our convo today, that's a strength of Discord, right? I don't imagine we'll need more than just a thread for an event.

I feel really bad I couldn't manage at least one post - between busy holidays, chronic sleep deprivation and then falling sick on the last day, I just lacked the energy to take any initiative with this! Whoever my secret santa is, I want them to know that I really like my character and will definitely use Moonblossom in future writing, one way or another! Just imagining how the post would go was super fun. ^ ^

As for the prompt, I did struggle a bit. That's because I am not very good with loose prompts and need to picture my environment in detail, but I also don't want to retcon things in my description, if that makes sense. So I hesitated a bit, waiting for somebody else to make the first move so I could bounce off of that.

I also agree with Cube: a Discord server would be super beneficial in future, since JPs seemed to be taking place behind the scenes and there was no way of knowing what's going, really!
    I hope things are getting better for you now!

I do wish this would have been brought up to us during the event- if you needed help or wanted a bit more prompting or wanted to discuss JPs, the OOC is absolutely the place for that, or a direct PM to the organizers! Since events are generally very loose scenarios in the first place, definitely don't worry too much about contradictory worldbuilding! We're just playin' around, yknow?

We can definitely do a little more structure next year, though, if that might help y'all out~

I was too afraid to be the first one to post, so I was waiting for someone to post their stuff first. But that happened way too late and I wasn't able to finish up my own post in time.

I love my character and will use it somewhere. It's not a kind of character I could come up with, but he's charming and sounds like a fun character to play.
    Don't be afraid! These events really are an extremely low-stakes mess-around time. Anything is welcome!

This event really fits quick posts where you just write with your gut, uh? :woop:
    Absolutely! Everyone, please don't get hung up on making things so perfect and exact for these events, this is very much meant to be fun and silly and just give you something different to write that you might not have tried otherwise. :)

Thank you all for the feedback, by the way! Let us know if you think of anything else, okay? GP will be coming by with the list of who-made-who and the winners are def obvious but will be announced anyway haha~

Years
  • Spoiler:

Characters

Machomuu created Grookles Flex for Janp
    Spoiler:

Foxrally created Dr. Ty Steele for Flowerchild
    Spoiler:

Dragon created Yūrei Tanaka for Machomuu
    Spoiler:

Flowerchild created Mooblossom for Hyzenthlay
    Spoiler:

Cubeth created Rob Hollick for Foxrally
    Spoiler:

Eleanor created Lily Brooks for Cubeth
    Spoiler:

Janp created Yvonne Brady for Dragon
    Spoiler:

Hyzenthlay created Elfie for Eleanor
    Spoiler:

Winners

Obviously, our winners this year are Cubeth and Eleanor! Specifically, Cubeth in first place and Eleanor in second. Congratulations guys, that post was a lot of fun to read.

This year didn't end up with much in the way of posts because of a bunch of unfortunate circumstances. Remember though, this is not the only place you can use these characters. They were gifts from your secret santa to you, and you can continue to use them wherever and however you please. Personally, I'd love to see this wonderful cast of characters appearing all over the place.

Thank you to everyone who gave feedback, we've already talked a fair bit about how to incorporate it into future events.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Hi everyone! Thanks for participating in this year's Secret Santa! We didn't have much action in the IC thread but y'know, that's okay- the main point is giving each other the gift of a new character. :) I hope even if you didn't find a way to fit them into this scenario, you can use them in future writing!

But, even though the IC isn't the main point, we still want it to be good and fun! So what's up, y'all? What went wonky this year? Did you just not have time during the busy holiday season this year? Was the scenario not something you felt you could work with? The ideal was to JP and interact with other characters- did JPs fall through? Would you prefer more structure in some way? What changes can we make to this format so you would be more likely to write?

A bit late on the feedback but I mentioned it a bit when the event came out - while my favourite part (the character creation) was super fun, I feel like the prompt was a little too open-ended which made coming up with posts quite difficult. I had the motivation to write something, but it felt like more of a setting with no objective, since we weren't given anything to do besides attending the party. Perhaps a list of gifts to hand out, or giftees to surprise, would've been easier to work with as prompts.

Regardless, I absolutely loved Cubeth's Rob and I of course plan to re-use him in Spear much like Victor from last year, so stay tuned for that ;)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • A bit late on the feedback but I mentioned it a bit when the event came out - while my favourite part (the character creation) was super fun, I feel like the prompt was a little too open-ended which made coming up with posts quite difficult. I had the motivation to write something, but it felt like more of a setting with no objective, since we weren't given anything to do besides attending the party. Perhaps a list of gifts to hand out, or giftees to surprise, would've been easier to work with as prompts.

Regardless, I absolutely loved Cubeth's Rob and I of course plan to re-use him in Spear much like Victor from last year, so stay tuned for that ;)

I get that it was open-ended but I don't think that attending the party was all there was- I did design the points system to be a prompt list, and the goals there were basically JP with people and exchange gifts with players or NPCs- so that was the "giftees to surprise", in a sense. I didn't think that was overly different than prior years?

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to setting up a list of prompts or gifts next year and I do wish y'all would have like. Asked for prompts? Asked for help? Rather than just drawing blanks and then not really doin' much.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I get that it was open-ended but I don't think that attending the party was all there was- I did design the points system to be a prompt list, and the goals there were basically JP with people and exchange gifts with players or NPCs- so that was the "giftees to surprise", in a sense. I didn't think that was overly different than prior years?

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to setting up a list of prompts or gifts next year and I do wish y'all would have like. Asked for prompts? Asked for help? Rather than just drawing blanks and then not really doin' much.

I definitely agree that there was more I could've done to be proactive on my end, such as asking for ideas from others, but that beats the point of a prompt - the creativity should be in "how do I write this story" rather than "what do I write", in my opinion. The point system didn't feel as much of a prompt either, since it simply had criteria like "gift exchange with NPC" or "gift exchange with a player" which still don't provide anything beyond a setting.

I realize the point was to encourage people to gift to each other rather than NPCs, but perhaps limiting it to just that was what made the prompt feel too open-ended.

Back