• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The real-life inspirations behind the Paldea region

As with other games, the references to real-life locations are overflowing in Paldea. These are the ones we know so far.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    One thing I loved about Galar as an Englishman is that a lot of the time the characters actually sounded English. Obviously we don't have any in-game dialogue yet, but do you think that any Spanish turns of phrase will make it into the game?

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Great article Went! I may not be fond of this game's art direction, but I do like that they made the real-life inspirations even more evident than in Galar. I can't wait to see the Pokémon world's equivalent of the Alhambra!

One thing I loved about Galar as an Englishman is that a lot of the time the characters actually sounded English. Obviously we don't have any in-game dialogue yet, but do you think that any Spanish turns of phrase will make it into the game?

Hate to be a killjoy here but I'd like it better if the Paldean characters didn't have a Spanish accent/didn't pepper their speech with Spanish words in the English versions. I don't want more cringe than there already is in Masters.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • One thing I loved about Galar as an Englishman is that a lot of the time the characters actually sounded English. Obviously we don't have any in-game dialogue yet, but do you think that any Spanish turns of phrase will make it into the game?

I would bet my home that the Spanish localisation will go absolutely wild with it (making it even more incomprehensible and awkward still for Latin American players). But I expect the English text to be pretty neutral, frankly. Poirot speak can get grating, especially if the implication is that everybody should be speaking said language naturally.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Hate to be a killjoy here but I'd like it better if the Paldean characters didn't have a Spanish accent/didn't pepper their speech with Spanish words in the English versions. I don't want more cringe than there already is in Masters.

I would bet my home that the Spanish localisation will go absolutely wild with it (making it even more incomprehensible and awkward still for Latin American players). But I expect the English text to be pretty neutral, frankly. Poirot speak can get grating, especially if the implication is that everybody should be speaking said language naturally.

Oh no I wasn't meaning putting Spanish words in the translations. I was meaning if any Spanish idioms could still make sense in other languages that they might be used (I mean, I don't know if "putting the cart before the Rapidash" translates into Spanish in SwSh for example). But also what Ivysaur says about the Spanish localisation going nuts. I'll have to keep at my classes so I can compare!

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2022
    Inspiration is a fundamental aspect of creation, irrespective of what it is. Excellent article; and the particular structures/buildings, are glaring to some extent, although you can do subtle differences, where they deviated from initial building design.

Back