• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon: Shiron Castle [Make a Good Map 7 Submission]

NanoDude

Avir
Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2024
    WHAT DID I CLICK ON?

Hey there, this was my submission for Anthroyd's "Make a Good Map 7" contest, also known as MAGM 7.
    This contest is a 30-day game jam, which requires participants to create a short game that takes place within one general area made of many different submaps. The participants are given a theme/type of map to create (e.g. Island, rural route, castle, etc.)
    and a variety of gimmicks they can choose from. The map must contain a beginning and ending credits of some sort, including credits for used assets and resources of course. MAGM 7's theme was "tourist trap" and the gimmick I chose was "Something is off. You want to investigate?". The hack itself, known as Pokémon: Shiron Castle is a prequel story to my main hack in development, which features themes and ideas taken from it. The theme and gimmick seemed to go well with the type of vibe and mystery I like to write, which is why I decided on it for my submission.

THE STORY

You are a delivery boy tasked with delivering an item to someone named Javier who lives in Daiman Village, a small, history-rich rural village within the region of Tauron. When reaching Javier's house, you learn that he's gone to the nearby castle located to the west of the village, as he felt that there was something wrong there, which prompts his mother to ask you to look for him as he's been gone for a long time. Upon visiting the castle, you find yourself in the bustling "ancient battles fair", a festivity which celebrates the region of Shiron's transformation into modern day Tauron after the tyrant king Tasqui-Shiron fell and his monarch was demolished. The player faces many opponents within the castle, including channelers who try to contact the spirits of the castle to learn more about their history, and knight cosplayers who specialize in training steel-types. You will learn much more about the history of Shiron Castle, the history of Tauron, and the former alliances and enemies both within and outside the region. What happens next? Does the player find Javier in the castle? Well, I don't want to spoil everything, so please enjoy this story-driven experience!

GAMEPLAY

- This hack is an estimated 3-4 hours long with a large amount of rooms and places to explore.
    - Includes Pokémon up to gen 8, with updated movesets and some modern mechanics.
    - Fairy type is implemented.
    - A sprawling map with many parts to it.
    - Many options for Pokémon and held items the player can buy/use, allowing for great replay value.
    - 17 new songs across the game, all with a brand new melody.
    - Custom tilesets.
    - Fun and interesting dialogue and characters.
    - Updated version of the original entry, with rebalancing, polish, and new other stuff.
    - Other stuff I forgot to mention.

CREDITS

- Pokeemerald by the awesome fellows over at Pret.
    - Pokeemerald expansion by the equally awesome nerds at Rom Hack Hideout.
    - Aveontrainer for the knight overworld sprite (which were edited by me.)
    - Pyredrid for various new Pokémon overworld sprites (also edited by me.)
    - "Follow me" mechanic by Ghoulslash.
    - Anthroyd for hosting this really cool contest.

SCREENSHOTS

LygqBVb.gif
    lmdj4ul.png
    YdhIWAF.png
    Ewa2BrE.png
    hTsTRrM.png
    5GUuX9L.png
    DFLiIP8.png
    j0kR4dp.png
    LYXctTg.png
    qekBlVp.png
    GW66oIf.png
    IbKEy3i.png
    oupy36l.png
    fB3e5Y7.png
    j25OSY5.png
    qxbfkjK.png
    uSrSmxa.png
    B7hRiKb.png
    ztDxXqO.png

My buddy DocBreeb edited this epic trailer for me! Do note that it has some minor story-related spoilers.

FINAL NOTES

Remember to talk to everyone, as some NPCs have helpful tips or items for you to buy, as well as lore on the map and region.

The file included is a patch of the most recent (and likely) final version. If there is a notable bug that needs fixing, I may update the patch, which I will be transparent about here.
    Special thanks to Gamefreak for making the awesome Pokémon series! Remember that this is a fan project that's made to commemorate everything they have done, and Pokémon is one of my favorite franchises of all time, and of course, all rights to the series belong to them and them only. This project shall not be profited with, nor shall it be released in physical form on a cartridge or distributed online as a ROM. Thank you to everyone who checks this out!

Patch Downloads:
    V2.0:
    View attachment MAGM_Shiron_Castle_2.0.bps

V2.1: (Encounter/Puzzle Rebalancing Update)
    MAGM_Shiron_Castle_2.1.bps (MediaFire)

Last edited:

NanoDude

Avir
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2024
    Oh wow, I really dig how graphically appealing this looks! Congratulations n the completed release!

Thanks a lot! Yeah I spent a good chunk of my time on the tilesets (probably too big of a chunk), so I'm glad you find it visually appealing, and thanks for the congratulations! :D

Doctor Breeb

Wooper is pretty neat, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    It's nice seeing good short games made by good people you know. Wish more of my friends were interested in this niche. Good game dude. Even if I wasn't able to evolve my Misdreavus the first time I played it. :)

heyo

HEYO!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Can confirm this hack is awesome! super cool art, great custom music, and overall very fun :)

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Very excited to play this. Remember the songs you shared on Discord, awesome stuff.

Years
  • I played it and it's super amazing! Congratulations! for your Submission for MAGM 7 contest even though its's super late!
    Question... Will you release your main Hack after you Completed it?

NanoDude

Avir
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2024
    I played it and it's super amazing! Congratulations! for your Submission for MAGM 7 contest even though its's super late!
    Question... Will you release your main Hack after you Completed it?
    Thanks a lot! Sucks it was late but I over-scoped initially, underestimated how long it would take since I was new to decomps and all.
    And yeah, of course I'll release the main hack when/if it's completed, probably alongside demos but I'll figure that out when it's time, making a rom hack takes absolute eons and tons of dedication, so although I have a lot of ideas brewing in my head, I have a lot of stuff to actually account for. One day though, it'd be pretty awesome to post a full hack to the completed hacks section (and have it be scalped within the first 400 views but I won't get into that here lol). Otherwise, yeah I'm motivated to make it and all!

Back