• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you EV train your starters?

JJAttacker

None Shall Pass
Years
I don't EV anything, cos I dunt no how 2 :D

btw, you may want to get rid the extra line breaks in your signature...
its easy, just look up a guide on how to do it. takes a little time to do it the right way but you can use ar if you have it

Years
I have previously looked up EV training and tried it, but I couldn't be bothered and I didn't really see the point of it, nor think that it would help me in any way.

JJAttacker

None Shall Pass
Years
I have previously looked up EV training and tried it, but I couldn't be bothered and I didn't really see the point of it, nor think that it would help me in any way.
the point of it is so when you battle someone else over wifi you have a better chance of winning. non-ev'd pokes vs ev'd pokes will get crushed everytime

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
I could EV train. I have the patience to do it. But I'd rather not.

I don't play competitively because I personally think that it takes the fun out of the game. I'd rather not sacrifice Pokemon because they have 2HP left and they are considered "useless," and I'd rather not use Pokemon that are considered powerhouses, even though I really despise them in reality. That's just my opinion. You may think differently, and that's cool.

So, I only play in-game stuff, and EV training in-game just takes the fun out of everything, like resetting for good natures. It makes everything too easy. I'd rather just train normally.

Years
Nope. It's completely pointless. They won't have the right nature or IVs in the stats you want, so competitive viability is 0. No need to waste precious early in-game time on that. I just use my starter like normal and EV train after I beat the game and have everything I need for it.

DGexe

Taunter
Years
No, not on my starters...
But I did EV-train my Haunter for practice, since I'd never done it before. Noticeable difference, I freakin' saw it.

Still... I don't have the patience to EV-train a whole team, let alone my starters as well, so... in keeping on topic, no, I don't EV-train my starters.

Ryōko1

Divine Fury
Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2010
Never. I never get a good natured starter so I don't bother. Of course I just wait till I get later in the game to catch a decent Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
I never bothered to EV train any of my starters. I play through the game for fun, then if I want to, I EV train a new competitive team. Considering how my teams have gone in Shoddy, though, it might be a while untill I get something worth breeding/training.

Myles

Seriously?
Years
Nope. It's completely pointless. They won't have the right nature or IVs in the stats you want, so competitive viability is 0. No need to waste precious early in-game time on that. I just use my starter like normal and EV train after I beat the game and have everything I need for it.

You could always get the right nature.

Personally, I don't usually EV train before the Elite Four, but I may undo their EVs, to start EV training them after the league.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Not the first time through, but after I beat the e4 I do. Its not worth it to fight 126 starlies and however many whatevers i have to fight for attack ev's. I just fight stuff and such. And just severely over level my pokemon, its much easier ^_^

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
Years
Why would I EV train my pokemon in the beginning of the game when it's nearly impossible to do it (because of the lacking variety in pokemon that you run into) and also probably a waste unless you have been patient enough to SR for a starter with a good nature/good IVs?

Pointless in my opinion.. your starter is for playing through the game. If you want an Infernape, an Empoleon or a Torterra that's viable for competitive battling you should just breed your original starter with a Ditto until you hatch one with good IVs and a good nature.

Simple as that.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I tried it on my Platinum Empoleon. So not worth the effort (or the waste of EV reducing berries). I'd rather breed the starter anew so I can control its IV's and nature and everything.

spike6958

TCG Collector
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 30, 2021
I don't EV train at all, I know how to but it's a pointless waste of time.

Back