• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Too many puzzles?

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
  • I'm about halfway through my first play through of B/W and I know that is is much more of a departure (game play wise) than any of it's predecessors, but do you think there is too much of a "puzzle" element in the games. I feel like it came out of no where as far as routes, caves, and gyms go. I am really glad they are expanding on the games, but this almost feels like a chore rather than fun.

What do you guys think?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Yes, I've quite noticed that B/W are more puzzle-based than past games; I found it good to work my mind on the field more often than usual as well, not just the gym puzzles.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    There were puzzles?

I honestly didn't notice it any more than in other versions.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    There were puzzles?

^ summarizes my entire view on the matter. I read the title and was like "What puzzles...?"

Years
  • I felt like I didn't really notice the puzzles any more than usual, but I honestly prefer some puzzles to straight-up: battle trainer. next trainer, battle. next trainer, battle. I felt like there was a lot of that in Kanto (especially where Fuschia city was concerned)

Sirfetch’d

I always thought that Black and White were the most straight through games ever. Only one Hm was needed and everything, maybe with the exception of twist mountain were pretty straightforward.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    There were puzzles?

This sums up my thoughts as well. I definitely didn't notice more puzzles than usual. If anything, thinking about it, I think Emerald had more puzzles than BW.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • I wouldn't really call those things a puzzle. A puzzle is that thing at the Silph Co. or Articuno's cave. Chargestone cave didn't really feel like a puzzle, since you just have to push the stone in one obvious direction. BW2 brought back some puzzles on Plasma's ship though.

Years
  • I didn't even know about this until this thread came up.

I have to say Black and White didn't look puzzle-based to me, but these games didn't need as many HMs to get through which was kind of nice.

Chargestone Cave sort of had a puzzley feel to it, maybe Twist Mountain as well cos of the confusing maze in the caves.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Other than in the gyms and Chargestone I don't really see any real puzzles. ;(

But as for the gyms themselves, I'd say the worst "puzzles" were the dragon gym, flying gym and ground gym. I got lost way too much in those ones. XD; I guess the ice one was a puzzle, too, but I guess if you were just talking about the gyms, then yes, it is very puzzle based. Everything else? Not really noticeable.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Gyms are meant to be puzzles. I didn't mind the ground one, but the ice one I would have been more likely to get lost in.

Cyclone

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • If gyms are supposed to be puzzles, then they were really bad. Especially the dragon one. It was really troublesome going back to the Pokemon Center.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I didn't think there were very many puzzles at all besides the obligatory gym puzzles. And that actually annoyed me somewhat. My favourite main series soul-sucking activity of the devil has always been Emerald, which as I remember has lots more puzzles and secret areas all over the place. I liked that quite a lot. And they were more deviations from the plot. You didn't have to do them to advance everything, you weren't shoved in their direction all the time, that kind of thing. Like all the little bike routes and branches of caves and surfing/diving areas and things what were all over in Emerald.

Basically, it felt like there was more to explore in Emerald than in B/W because B/W is very linear and most puzzles are plot-oriented. And HG/SS has fun little puzzles and side-quests like the Ruins of Alph. I don't recall encountering anything like that in the B/W main soul-sucking activity of the devil.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • BW had the least puzzles in all the Pokémon games.

Now Emerald, that was puzzle hell. I mean, there's stuff you need a walkthrough to figure out. The braille puzzles were a horrible development choice, and it was even worse if you take into account the Regis aren't even related to the main storyline. It was very easy to miss them if you didn't have a walkthrough in hand, quite unlike other gens.

Emerald even had a place dedicated to puzzles, the Trick House, although that was fun because it was light-hearted.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

In terms of puzzle, no I didn't notice a real difference, especially not finding my way, I'm not the biggest fan of the Unova's 1 way road.

Back