• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Biggest Personal Gaming Disappointments

Salamence62

you're gonna hear me rawr :3
    Years
    moshi monster's theme park for the 3DS. it was nothing like it's predecessor, where you hunt around for adorable monster's in a jungle or something trying to get it exposed and caught. it was soooo fun!

but in the theme park game, you just played the exact same games to open a gate to get more monsters until you went into the next section of the theme park, etc. :(

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    Xenosaga 2. It's one of only two games I've bought at/soon after it came out (the other being FFXII), and I've only ever managed to play it through once, the very first time I played. I've tried to play it again about half a dozen times, and on only one of those attempts have I even managed to get past the very first area.

I wouldn't regret buying it...if I hadn't spent $50 for it.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Other M....I walked into that one thinking it'd be great since I very much enjoyed the only other Metroid games I've played, the Prime series, and because Metroid seems to have a good track record. Yeah, we all knew how that went. That terribad story. Samus's awful personality (yeah, Samus has never had a definite personality, but why oh why would you go with that?). The crappy missile controls (how do you screw that up when there's Prime?). Those sequences where the game wants you to look for and focus the Wiimote on some object that's hard to see (and you have no idea what you're looking for most of the time).

So yeah. I feel like there's one more thing, but, as per the usual, I can't remember...

Other M, I went into knowing it would be bad, and I was still super let down with its badness. lol

I was really hard on Okami for a long time. I heard so much good about it and was really looking forward to it. And I played, and I just... wasn't blown away by. I was just exposed to too much hype that it couldn't possibly live up to. Still a great, solid game and I look back on it fondly now and hope to replay it soon. It just wasn't god's gift to gaming that I thought it would be.

And I'll say... Zelda: Skyward Sword. It did a lot of good, but also a lot of bad. It was just... boring. Really boring. I didn't care about the stories or the characters. Music was bland. Overworld was barren.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
    Hmm, most of the Wii games I have were really disappointing. Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Tales of Symphonia 2, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart, SSB Brawl, Paper Mario, and Fire Emblem 10. They were all very boring or had annoying motion controls. Due to my disappointment with almost every Wii game I had bought, I've decided not to buy a WiiU.

As for the biggest disappointmemt? Probably Twilight Princess. It was my introduction to motion controls that I've always disliked. It was the first mainstream Nintendo game I hated, so when I imagine disappointing games it's the first to come to mind. After loving Wind Waker so much, I was excited for the next game, but TP was devoid of entertainment.

I've never returned a game, though.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    As for the biggest disappointmemt? Probably Twilight Princess. It was my introduction to motion controls that I've always disliked. It was the first mainstream Nintendo game I hated, so when I imagine disappointing games it's the first to come to mind. After loving Wind Waker so much, I was excited for the next game, but TP was devoid of entertainment.

TP on the Wii was atrocious. It was pretty fun on the Gamecube sans crappy motion controls. The Hidden Skills were a lot easier to use, too, to the point that they were actually useful.

But the Wii version was horrible and I'm really sorry you got stuck with that one. I'd hate it, too, if that were the first/only version I played. :c

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Hmm, most of the Wii games I have were really disappointing. Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Tales of Symphonia 2, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart, SSB Brawl, Paper Mario, and Fire Emblem 10. They were all very boring or had annoying motion controls. Due to my disappointment with almost every Wii game I had bought, I've decided not to buy a WiiU.

I've never returned a game, though.

It's a shame Wii motion controls were very hit and miss with so many people. I loved them

(but Super Paper Mario is still a horrible game :P)

Manul119

Newbie Pokémon Fan
    Years
    The Sonic The Hedgehog Franchise...
    Man.. I was a hyper Sonic fan back then! Claiming Sonic was the best gaming franchise ever and all.. and Then They had to ruin it by making Nintendo Exclusive Games and stuff..... Man... Just... No..

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
    GTA V, the game was so overhyped that I thought it had to be good. Do I still play it? No. Cause the hype they promised died off way too soon with a dying online mode at the beginning and it still is dying to me, cause of the option to literally buy in game cash with rl cash. Online mode is completely ruined and the story is meh. It is just one of those AAA titles who gets a ton of hype but doesn't stand the test of time to live up with the hype.

Uhhh....what do you mean? Do you mean GTA online's story or the GTA V's story? Because V's story was incredible in my opinion. :P Anyway, back to the topic.

CoD Ghost or SWTOR. Gonna go with Star Wars the Old Republic. KOTOR(Knights of the Old Republic) was a masterpiece, I tell you, even if you hate Star Wars you'll love the story itself. Not only is it te best SW game but one of the best RPGs out there. Never played KOTOR 2, but everyone says its wonderful. Then came SWTOR. I was so happy. The trailer is badass. Then I saw it was a MMO. I was, "what?" but ignored and thought it would be good anyway. But I was wrong. It's VERY laggy even if your computer's fast. It's a MMO anyway. The stories suck hell. NONE of the entire 8 sotrylines were that good. You didn't get the Jedi/Sith feel in their storylines. The Bounty Hunter was just "Go kill this guy for money" it was just like GTA oh my god. I vomited in Smuggler's arc. Can't explain it. The Trooper...didn't really give me interest in playing. Was just boring. And the Imperial Agent was just a James Bond in Star Wars.

I'm, just gonna pretend it doesn't exist.

Spoiler:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Oi, I see Sonic '06, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic's recent games in general... D:!

The only time I've returned games and got my money back is when they were too glitchy (Spyro's first Gamecube game). I rented Sonic '06 and got through it okay. I don't remember much about it, hey, we're all trying to wipe it from our memories. I check games out on youtube or a rating site or through a friend before purchasing. I'll gladly rent something, especially if I don't intend of playing it again. Though, there is probably one series I wouldn't even throw $10 bucks at...

Final Fantasy XIII was alright (bought it used) since I could basically enjoy the story by pressing forward and the attack button. That's about all my gaming skills could handle at the time. I borrowed XIII-2, and its story shot me in the gut. It tried to entice me into buying DLC to see more of the story. Pfft. Therefore, I have no desire buying/renting Lighting Returns to see how the trilogy ends.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022

Funny how a game centred on exploring dreams put me to sleep. Unlike the past M&L titles, this game just lacked a lot of variety and enjoyable gameplay that I am so used to seeing from the series. The dream segments felt like padding and the platforming gimmicks in them soured quickly. The story and writing were still as brilliant as ever and the art style shift was perfect, but when your game feels like a job due to how tedious is gets, none of that matters.

Yukari

It's a shame Wii motion controls were very hit and miss with so many people. I loved them

(but Super Paper Mario is still a horrible game :P)

Super Paper Mario was just like the Wii Motion controls, It's either hit or miss.

Funny how a game centered on exploring dreams put me to sleep. Unlike the past M&L titles, this game just lacked a lot of variety and enjoyable gameplay that I am so used to seeing from the series. The dream segments felt like padding and the platforming gimmicks in them soured quickly. The story and writing were still as brilliant as ever and the art style shift was perfect, but when your game feels like a job due to how tedious is gets, none of that matters.
    !

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team was a great game! Though honestly no game can appeal to everyone.

TY

Uhhh....what do you mean? Do you mean GTA online's story or the GTA V's story? Because V's story was incredible in my opinion. :P Anyway, back to the topic.

GTA Online had no story, if it had then it has the worst story in the entire VG universe imo, so I meant the story of GTA V. It felt to me like it tried to be like a movie, but I do not want to play a movie in a video game :P

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Not my biggest disappointment, but I'm not really happy with Yoshi's New Island. I don't think I've played it since the day I bought it, which was the day after release...so...about two months. Oops.

No idea what I'd say my biggest disappointment is, since I haven't really bought and owned many games that I consider to be bad.

Years
    Definitely Rune Factory. When I first read about it, I was really excited for it. I mean, it was Harvest Moon (farming + getting married and whatnot) with the addition of fighting monsters; how cool was that? Unfortunately, it kept the plot aspect of older Harvest Moon games in that there really wasn't a plot in the beginning (other than getting married) and, iirc, you didn't get to start of with a weapon (unless you count your farming tools, but those don't do much damage and use up a lot of stamina) so you couldn't really go through the dungeons. If a friend hadn't told me how amazing Rune Factory 3 was (which it is /biased) I probably would've never tried another RF game.

幕之内 一歩

<b><font color=
    Years
    Pokemon X/Y

No this is not trolling. I don't know. I don't think it's my age (30). I love a lot of games I've grown up with but I feel like it's the ultimate roster update game. Hell, I even skipped the last generation because of the same reasons. I only cam back because I love the series and the battling. I was big into the competition scene 2 gens ago but alas. Granted I don't have a lot of room to talk with my love of Madden (which is essentially a roster update but my love for the NFL is unrequited) but seriously. It's essentially the same story EVERY time. The Pokemon seem to be getting more and more ridiculous and lazy (an ice cream cone and keyring. Really?) and they just don't really innovate anything about the game at all. I wish they'd just progress to what everyone wants already and make a huge Pokemon MMO. That's all everyone wants. A huge world, with every island and Pokemon available.

DTM

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    GTAO. It could've been something.... If I wanted to play a game about hoping I will be able to leave the block my house is on... well... I still probably wouldn't play this. R* has encouraged too much PvP and now it is way out of hand. I was hoping I'd be able to see the new update that came out today... Nope... Tank sitting in front of my house and killed me multiple times. Escaped through the movie studio only to be gun down by some ass in a jeep. Leave the city (like I ALWAYS do) only to get run down by a car while walking in the middle of nowhere...

Managed to survive 1 mission and bank the cash and buy the new gun when I got a server hiccup (another issue that I often get) So I rage quit.

I was hoping for a game where I'd get to rob stores and do criminal stuff with my friends. Not one where I have to carry an RPG to walk down the street and live.

And the fix is so simple too, just match violent people up with themselves, and not psychopaths with each other via recorded behavior. If your a mass murderer, you get the death match server, if you dont play GTA only to piss others off and dont murder every random person you see (a few kills now and again is ok and can be fun for both) You get the good Los Santos.

Ah well, Watchdogs comes out soon. That'll be way better

Sir Codin

Combat system was fun, but otherwise, it was too short and lacked much of the South Park humor I craved. Still some funny moments though, but it was mostly the short time that killed it.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Looks like an inferior version of the main games made for a college project. Plus, any game that makes you pay a monthly subscription to keep playing online has no place in my library.

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Boring, uninteresting, uninspired, and caters only to those jerk-offs who think A Link to The Past is better than Ocarina of Time (it isn't).

The Sims 3

When I played it I realized it had the same problem as the first two: it's boring. And likely the 4th will be even more of a snoozefest.

Pokemon X/Y

Lack of post-game content, lack of new Pokemon that are interesting, and the rivals were so underutilized that I didn't end up caring for any of them.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies is my least favorite of the series, by far. When I saw the trailer, I was so excited to see that both Phoenix and Apollo would feature in this game, but it was lacking far too much of what I loved most from previous games, not just characters, but also, really - I can't examine things anymore? It's cool that you can rotate the crime scenes and look at it from every angle now, but there are only select moments where you even get to use the examine feature. The gameplay was even more linear than it used to be, even with a "notes" page (which, I know, you don't have to consult, but I still don't like that it's there) that holds your hand through every investigation.

And I don't know if the game's changed or I have, but they just haven't been able to make me care about any of the cases or characters so far. Also, it's lacking some of the mystery and twists that made me stay on the edge of my seat when I played through the old games. I could see the "bad guy" from a mile away in the cases I've played so far. I know, I should play more before passing judgment, but I'm just used to these games winning me over within the first two cases.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    The Final Fantasy Series
    After being told it's a better JRPG than Pokemon Crystal (My favorite Handheld game at the time), I gave a few entries a shot. Perhaps it's just me, but a JRPG without the kind of feeling of discovery a new pokemon game gives got stale almost immediately. I've given a few more of the games a try since, but the story is too melodramatic, the gameplay not fun enough, and the characters too often hilariously bad and/or overdone. Not to mention you can't step anywhere on the internet without getting your shoe soiled in a huge pile of FF content.

Alkaiser

Superhero
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 1, 2014
    I don't really liked Bravery Default that much. It is an OK game, but the reviews and lots of players called it a "masterpiece" or "the return of old-school JRPGs" and the game is nothing like an old school JRPG. It has no exploration, no sense of adventure and discovery. Although battle system is pretty good and the OST too, the true is that the game for me was a disappointment.

The Final Fantasy Series
    After being told it's a better JRPG than Pokemon Crystal (My favorite Handheld game at the time), I gave a few entries a shot. Perhaps it's just me, but a JRPG without the kind of feeling of discovery a new pokemon game gives got stale almost immediately. I've given a few more of the games a try since, but the story is too melodramatic, the gameplay not fun enough, and the characters too often hilariously bad and/or overdone. Not to mention you can't step anywhere on the internet without getting your shoe soiled in a huge pile of FF content.

What Final Fantasy have you played? For me it is a very irregular series because of the multiple directors it has. Some games are truly masterpieces, others simply good and some really mediocre. I recommend you Final Fantasy IX and XII if you want sense of discovery and a fantastic adventure :D

Back