• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Art & Soul: The Sequel

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Thank you so much!

I use Photoshop for painting, pixels, and general all-purposeness. The animation in the sleeping dinosaur and alligator jigglin' GIFs were drawn frame-for frame in it, too. Any other animating (like Hunter or the splash page of my site) is done with After Effects. Digital sculpting is done in ZBrush, modeling (though nothing in this thread currently) and other 3D things may also use Maya. I sometimes also use 3D as a base for painting (if you've been to my site, the dragon in the rain was done this way). It's super helpful with lighting and perspective, and I use it a lot at work because it's fast.

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    New piece in yet another new section, Sketches & Speedies, which is for quick stuff that isn't fanart (fanart is always quick because I refuse to put a lot of time into it). I drew this fella constantly in college, and felt he needed to be my doodling guinea pig once again :3

Spoiler:

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    It looks great! Looks like you couldn't decide on a horn design, though. Going by what you said in other threats about why you draw, I'm going to assume you fancied a guy with a beard, haha.

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Thanks! Haha yeah, a lot of things about him are fluid and not set in stone - horns, wings, proportions, where he fits on a mammalian-reptilian scale. He's kind of a blank character to draw when I don't want to think too hard but want to test things out. But the hair/beard and being a gold dragon-like creature are the main constants. And yes, it is totally because of that guy, even though the real person has gone through many a hair/fuzz configuration, this is a more iconic version of how it was when I met him, and the type I like best on dudes in general, lol.

------

Also, here is a new thing! Ever since X and Y came out I've been intrigued by the render style and wanted to try and emulate it on something. Maya doesn't really have a way to not anti-alias the lines but this is as close an approximation as I could get, using a low-poly model of my namesake bird goddess character.

Art & Soul: The Sequel

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Here's something I did yesterday. The vague concept has been swishing around in my brain forevers but now felt right to paint it.

Spoiler:

Saki

The Fire Fox
    Years
  • The render you did and placed in your signature is awesome. I can just picture is gliding/swaying back and forth in the wind. :) The "characters" is such a neat concept, how did you come up with the design? Is it based on multiple animals (I pick up a lot of bird/allosaurus/squamata concepts in your art).

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Thank you! Yeah I may animate it at some point. I planned to but I don't feel like rigging right now so I just did a still render. I'm not sure which characters you're referring to, lol. Amaruuk is a solar/creation deity based on Microraptor, the other recent fella has changed a lot over time but has meandered between several influences such as lions, lizards, DnD metallic dragons, various horned ungulates... I guess that's mostly it.

The rest of my work, some of it has direct influence and some doesn't. Guard of the East Tower is based on a green anole lizard on the windowsill of my old apartment at the time I painted it. Vusuuk is Amaruuk's shadow and is based on some extinct terrestrial crocodylomorphs like Kaprosuchus. Micronaptor is a napping Microraptor because of course. Chickensaurus is a thing all the paleoart people were doing on Twitter a while back based on someone's idea of genetically bringing back specific traits of non-avian dinosaurs (long tail, teeth, etc.) in chickens which is at best, a terrible idea. Truth of the Mind was based on something I drew in a dream, and I based the head on a heron's. Cloud Dancer wasn't based on any animal in particular, but rather this speedpaint which itself was based simply on the prompt "Whimsical Creature." The not-several-years-old piece of pixel art is just straight up Deinonychus, and of course the paleo portraits are just the actual extinct species.

I hope somewhere in all that rambling was the answer to your question! X3

Last edited:

JoeCrux

Illustrator
    Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2015
    Wow, just WOW !

Im taking you're a seasoned artist ? I really liked your work. Even gazed upon them for a while.

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Yes, I am a professional artist, though this is just personal work here. Thank you!

Also, new things! A paleo portrait and some quickie revisits of super old characters.
    Spoiler:

EDIT:
    Animated the 3D Amaruuk for my signature!
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Something magical happened this weekend, so I made this GIF today!

Spoiler:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This is amazing, wow. Just. Wow. You are so talented and skilled, at least from what this super non-art knowledgeable person can see :3

This is particularly soothing:

Spoiler:

Is there any chance I could crop that face and use as an avatar here on PC at some point? I would credit you and even link to this thread in my signature, if you like. It's just so cute somehow, and I love the colors.

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Oh, thank you! And while I appreciate you asking, that one has a lot of personal meaning; I don't think I want it being someone's avatar, haha.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh, thank you! And while I appreciate you asking, that one has a lot of personal meaning; I don't think I want it being someone's avatar, haha.
    That's fine, of course :3 it's still beautiful!

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    My interest in PC seems to be waning again, but here's some Paleo Portraits:

Spoiler:

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Amazing as always. They look so cute, you kind of want to pet them, haha.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Been meaning to comment on this thread for a while now!

Your work it so inspiring and quite unique to the rest of the works I've seen at PC. Seriously loving your variety of work!
    My young child self would have completely nuts over your paleontology works - especially the paleo portraits which are incredibly well done!
    Curiously wondering if you plan to do any sculpture or 3D arts any time soon?

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • First thing I said was wow. These are incredible. There is not a lot of critisism I can give you, but the level of detail on the feathers of some, shading and especially the texture of the Moon from Majora's Mask... Just wow.

Amaruuk

Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Thanks, guys! :D

@Zappy yeah I've been going nuts with paleo stuff since I started using Twitter more seriously and rekindling one of my oldest nerd-doms. As for sculpture/3D, I just haven't done much of that in forever because generally it takes longer and I'm just not in as good a position to do it as much right now. I'd love to get back into physical sculpting once I move into a house later this year, and I'll have a better chair/desk to get me motivated to do digital sculpting too. I have a sculpture that's sat unfinished in a folder that I'd like to get back to soon. There's some older 3D stuff in my post in the rather buried Artists' Journey thread.

Anywho, here's another paleo portrait!
    Spoiler:

Back