• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Masuda method

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
In Gen IV, a feature was introduced called the Masuda Method.

The Masuda Method is a fan made term relating to the chances of hatching a shiny Pokémon. The mechanics were introduced and developed by Junichi Masuda, director of Game Freak and developer of all main story Pokémon games since Ruby and Sapphire. While the standard encounter rate for a Shiny Pokémon (either in the wild or by breeding) is 1/8192, the Masuda method multiplies this rate by 5 or about 1/1638.

The Masuda method involves breeding two Pokémon created in games of different countries. An Egg resulting from such a pairing will have a higher likelihood of being Shiny.

A Japanese Treecko + An English language Treecko

A French Cyndaquil + A Spanish Cyndaquil

Italian Ditto + German Piplup

The Pokémon must be of a different language, meaning a US + English Pokémon will not produce Masuda Method style odds.

Interestingly, Junichi Masuda originally thought of this idea when developing Pokémon Emerald but didn't feel it would be utilised without the GTS introduced in Gen IV.

What do you think of the Masuda Method? Have you managed to hatch a shiny with this method?

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
Years
I was sure it was just different in game region? Oh well, it was a great addition for those hoe love shinnies but it didn't complety break them either so all is good with this addition

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
A nice addition, given that it promotes international trading and all that. With that bonus shiny chance, I can't really see why it wouldn't be considered a negative for those that actually care enough to do it.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I had the luck to hatch myself a silver Eevee, who later is evolved into a Jolteon.
I forgot how many eggs exactly I took just to hatch it, but it was definitely gruelling process.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
I really like the idea of Masuda Method. The original point was to get people trading, and it did that well!

I use the Masuda Method for my first shiny, Noibat. I am still trying to get, and I have never gotten a shiny prior by this method or any other. I didnt even catch red gayardos.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
I liked it although i didnt use it much at all it helped with breeding my shinies alot and allowed me to get alot of shinies which ended up being useless to me later but i got a shiny pikachu with volt tackle nuff said :D

Back