• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Doctor Who Fanclub - NEW!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024

Doctor Who Fanclub - NEW!
    "I am definitely a mad man with a box!"
    — The Doctor, Season 5, Episode 1
    Welcome to the Doctor Who fanclub!
    This is a club for all discussion of Doctor Who - from "One" to "Twelve", from "Classic Who" to "2005 Who", from TV to audio dramas, Sarah Jane Adventures to Torchwood, anything and everything. Considering the incredible expanse of just the main TV canon, people are going to have a wide variety of preferences, experiences, and opinions. And that's fantastic! Remember that even though we may not always see eye-to-eye, we're united in love of this wonderful production. Doesn't matter how many times you've seen an episode, doesn't matter how much or how little you remember of events. If you love Doctor Who, you belong here.
    "You have the guts to do what's right, even when everyone else just runs away."
    — Rose Tyler, Season 1, Episode 13
    Rules and Resources
    Please follow all PC and GE rules! Like I said before, this club will probably be home to a fair amount of differing views; please respect your fellow club members and their opinions! Even if you disagree, do not use derogatory language, insult, or attack other members. I retain the right to evict people from the club if foul behavior is a problem.

"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important."
    — The Doctor, Season 6, Christmas Special
    Club Membership
    Please fill in the form below to join in. After that you can just start chatting away about Doctor Who!
    Favorite Doctor:
    Favorite Companion:
    Favorite episode:​

MEMBER LIST!
    Fire
    Mana
    Merlin
    countryemo
    Eros
    Judge Mandolore Shepard

"We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"
    — The Doctor, Season 5, Episode 13
    CSS originally by Peitharchia. Opening post content originally by Anna.
    For any questions in regards to this club/thread/post, please contact the owner: Fire.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    First news to discuss: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/55e94ef2-0282-494f-a62c-82bd514f02fe

While there will be no s10 in 2016, it will come in 2017. Steven Moffat will be the showrunner of that too, but after that Chris Chibnall will take over!

Like Steven, Chris Chibnall is also a lifelong Doctor Who fan and a multi-award winning writer and executive producer. He has most recently achieved huge success with the triple BAFTA winning hit ITV series Broadchurch. His other credits include BAFTA nominated The Great Train Robbery, United, Law & Order: UK, Life on Mars and Torchwood. Chris Chibnall's debut series will launch in 2018.

Chris Chibnall, new Head Writer and Executive Producer : "Doctor Who is the ultimate BBC programme: bold, unique, vastly entertaining, and adored all around the world. So it's a privilege and a joy to be the next curator of this funny, scary and emotional family drama. I've loved Doctor Who since I was four years old, and I'm relishing the thought of working with the exceptional team at BBC Wales to create new characters, creatures and worlds for the Doctor to explore. Steven's achieved the impossible by continually expanding Doctor Who's creative ambition, while growing its global popularity. He's been a dazzling and daring showrunner, and hearing his plans and stories for 2017, it's clear he'll be going out with a bang. Just to make my life difficult."

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Oh me me! :) I was a big fan when the "new" seasons started (not so new now? lmao) but phased out a fair bit during the Moffat/Smith combo which I didn't really enjoy.

Favorite Doctor: 9
    Favorite Companion: Donna has been a hit for me. I like how she challenged the Doctor with no romantic element to it. And that finale, tears.
    Favorite episode: I'll come back to this another time.

I'm so glad Moffat is leaving! Whilst he's certainly very creative, I felt so much ego in his work. Everything felt very played to his individual characters (even going back to previous series where he just had the odd episode) whilst missing out on plenty of more things. I'll be happy to see someone new take to the stage, I've been wanting change for a long while now :c.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Welcome~! My biggest problem with Moffat (apart from his lousily wrapped up huge plotlines) is that his companions aren't really anchored well in the real world. They might have huge story arcs centered around them, but their lives on Earth feel superficial. Clara was a teacher, alright. We saw her dad once or twice (with different actors portraying him even??) and same with her grandma. Amy had... Parents, apparently. But we only saw them once. And Rory was a nurse but that sort of stopped mattering...

While Rose had a whole dysfunctional family around her, really being a genuine human being who happened to cross ways with the Doctor. Same with Martha and Donna, really. The Doctor came into their lives, rather than them coming into the Doctor's, like Amy and Clara pretty much did. And certainly River. The Moffat era companions just feel like they were made to be companions, while the RTD era companions were more believable human beings, somehow. Imo c:

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Favorite Doctor: Matt Smith, 11th
    Favorite Companion: Amelia Pond
    Favorite episode: A Good Man Goes to War most likely.

I am sad about no season for a year (minus Christmas Special), not even a easter special or something. But I will suffice, unsure about the return to the spring start date for Season 10 though in 2017, I got so used to it being a fall show (only got caught up with it on TV at S7).

I am still unsure about Chris taking over though. I kinda liked 42, loved the S5 two parter, so-so about Power of Three, it kinda jumped the shark at the end like most of S7. I liked the episodes leading up to Torchwood season finale 1, but the finale was just ok imo, I can't remember S2's that well. Broadchurch I've only seen 1 episode of, I liked it, but not sure how it'll transfer over to Doctor Who. Maybe next time, Toby Whitehouse.

I do agree about the companions in RTD's era, though I do like Moffats more, haha.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Mm, I'm really going to miss DW next year :/ I haven't heard about the reasons for this. Is Moffat and others mostly just busy with other things or haven't they found a new companion yet, or?

Also I better write up a SU thing myself c:

Favorite Doctor:
    12 or 10, it's hard to choose!
    Favorite Companion: Probably Clara. I love Clara ;; all iterations of her. I'm really glad they made her departure a really big deal. She was worth that <3
    Favorite episode: In shared first spot come Eleventh Hour together with Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead (which I'm counting as one two-parter adventure). On top of that, I really like all of the Clara episodes in s7 (save for the Dalek one). And Heaven Sent, and the three-parter finale of s3.

countryemo

Years
    Mm, I'm really going to miss DW next year :/ I haven't heard about the reasons for this. Is Moffat and others mostly just busy with other things or haven't they found a new companion yet, or?

The BBC has chose not to air Doctor Who this year due to the Euros and Olympics being on this year, likely for ratings because this past year Doctor Who was kinda conflicting with Strictly Come Dancing and DW's ratings were down.

Except the dalek one? Do you mean Ayslum or Into the Dalek?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I mean Asylum, I was talking about s7.

Aha, thanks! I did hear that somewhere, and that of course does make sense.

Years
    Favourite Doctor: Ten or Twelve
    Favourite Companion: Donna but Clara aesthetically
    Favourite Episode: It would've been Heaven Sent if Hell Bent didn't suck, so I guess The Waters of Mars

I'm feeling very cynical about Chibnall, his portfolio so far is not very promising (although I've only seen his DW/Torchwood stuff, I haven't watched Broadchurch). Moffat at the very least had very interesting ideas, but a lot of Chibnall's stories are bland and/or forgettable.

Last edited:

countryemo

Years
    Favourite Doctor: Ten or Twelve
    Favourite Companion: Donna but Clara aesthetically[s/]
    Favourite Episode: It would've been Heaven Sent if Hell Bent didn't suck, so I guess The Waters of Mars

I'm feeling very cynical about Chibnall, his portfolio so far is not very promising (although I've only seen his DW/Torchwood stuff, I haven't watched Broadchurch). Moffat at the very least had very interesting ideas, but a lot of Chibnall's stories are bland and/or forgettable.

True enough, but watching previous Moffat works before he became show runner and after there was a bit of a jump in difference. I watched 1 season of Broadchurch (still need to see the 2nd), and I think he's grown as a writer and of-course now has experience as a Show runner. He could very well just write the start, and co-write some and let others write while he creates the story.

Years
    True enough, but watching previous Moffat works before he became show runner and after there was a bit of a jump in difference. I watched 1 season of Broadchurch (still need to see the 2nd), and I think he's grown as a writer and of-course now has experience as a Show runner. He could very well just write the start, and co-write some and let others write while he creates the story.

I actually think most of Moffat's best work (excluding Sherlock) are from before he took over in 2010: Blink, the Silence in the Library two-parter, the Chula Zombie two-parter. The only stand-out example I can think of post-him being a showrunner is Heaven Sent.

I agree that it's best to be at least cautiously optimistic for Chibnall, but, yeah, definitely don't have the expectations I had when Moffat was announced as showrunner (which probably influenced my disappointment with a lot of his work).

countryemo

Years
    I find Blink hugely over-rated for some reason. My favorite from Moff are:
    - The Empty Child / Doctor Dances
    - The Christmas Carol
    - A Good Man Goes to War
    - The Library 2-parter
    - The Eleventh Hour
    So Showrunner Moffat won me over more :x

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Let's save this thread a day before it's too old to post in, shall we?

Favorite Doctor: 10th.
    Favorite Companion: Rose Tyler
    Favorite Episode: Smith And Jones

countryemo

Years
    Welcome to the club EvilChameleon.

So in other news, the BBC has offered for Capaldi to stay once Chinball arives and not kick him out like some people believed. Capaldi has yet to decided at-least publicly.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I really miss Doctor Who ;; Wish I had time to re-watch s9. It's about time now, it's been maturing and brewing in my memory for long enough.

... Clara's ending still hurts when I think about it >.< it was so surreal, somehow.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    12th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver went on sale today.

Back