• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Lavender Town

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Lavender Town

Widely regarded as the creepiest place in the Pokémon World by gamers, Lavender Town maintains a mysterious and grim aura about it. Its most notable landmark the Pokémon Tower, home to perished Pokémon was perhaps the biggest contributor to its eerie nature. Even outside the games themselves, the town has sparked the creation of numerous creepypastas and fan fiction.

What are your thoughts on Lavender Town? Did it creep you out?

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Lavender Town did actually strike me as a bit excessively morbid and creepy for the game. Like the fact that they talk at all about the concept of death in a children's video game struck me as odd. But then again I do feel like that's part of the charm of the original game. It feels like a lot of work was put into it.

That said I have heard a story or two about Lavender Town being a sort of monument to a lost team member, one who died during the game's development. I don't know how true that is, or if that's just one of the many creepy pastas rolling around though. It certainly strikes me as a fitting tribute if it is true.

Years
    To quote a post I made in an earlier thread:

Speaking of which, the first games, after handing you a Pokémon, then sent you off - and notice how people frequently named their characters after themselves, so there's personal identification here - then sent you off to a 'Pokémon graveyard,' and then having so extracted away the companions to leave you alone, as in a weird horror thing, throws in ghosts who can also not be fought - so that it's effectively saying that your Pokémon are now unable to move, in this place, and this is the area - before you are told to stop by a ghostly Marowak, and the player is supposed to just run wildly into these things. So, like, 'Hey, [your name], look at the dead Pokémon, now here are some ghosts all of a sudden, to meet you,' which I mean does seem a bit more than the later games, with their generally diluted adaptations of it.

In any case, while you find it slightly amusing that it now almost shares its name with a town with a Fairy-type gym, a misfortune I'm sure, it was also of interest how its tower structure had certain commonalities with later glitches found, such as 'Missingno,' such that all of the things that people found 'scary' or 'creepy' about these games was pretty much unified in one place. That said, a more interesting question would be what would happen if you removed Lavender Town from the games. Would it come across, then, as a jump-scare, or a bunch of 'scary' things added more or less at random which is supposed to be perturbing, or are there somehow fumes in the game which would produce it or the expectation of it, and hence make it come across as a logical continuation of the game which is nonetheless perhaps disturbing, frightening, interesting, etc., to various people?

ROM Hacks frequently go a bit overboard with Lavender Town, in terms of randomly adding graveyards and such, but this is generally regarded as simplistic. Lavender Town is generally identified as being about 'atmosphere,' and such, however it might be more accurate to say that it has two 'atmospheres,' a more 'Gothic' and empty, cold and unfeeling one, and a ghost-infested, active one, and the alternation of these is part of what throws players off (in which case you must ask how these multiple atmospheres can both exist in one place, namely 'Lavender Town' or the Tower). However, is it possible that the Pokémon games don't treat Lavender Town as simply a question of scaring the player or otherwise, but that the inclusion of a Pokémon graveyard and your exploration of it might also perturb the game, such that the interest in it might come across as in some ways unexpected? It does seem to throw most of the game's own properties and things that the game is trying to promote, such as battling, into some amount of disarray, and as such comes across as the game trying to scare itself, so to speak. In addition, ghosts do seem to frequently re-route Pokémon games into some sort of sandbox thing, with multiple paths and the need to go from place to place, etc., which also happens similarly in G/S as soon as they come up. At the same time, after this the rest of the progression frequently comes off as slightly tired, as with the Goldenrod City Team Rocket event, or the further gyms, etc., in R/B, so that you're basically just expected to be taking things straightforwardly from there, perhaps inadvertently, it would appear. It then becomes a question of how much so. Making the Pokémon world freely available like that, rather than linear, makes you wonder if when it returns to being linear, but still in this world, you aren't supposed to just carry on regardless of what shows up. Perhaps this says something quite decent for ghost Pokémon, but in any case.

As much as 'Lavender Town' and 'Lavender Tower' might sound like Spooky Pumpkin fare, you may wish to consider whether restating it as 'The Tower of Lavender,' might be of interest. In addition, you might wonder if by the game, which has so far been trying to take the player down with increasingly difficult Pokémon (at least potentially), suddenly opting to let up on trying to give the players issues at all - as part of the main progression - by making Pokémon unable to battle, isn't a bit of an interesting departure. Anyway, that might be of interest.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    That music still creeps me out, that's for sure.

The whole nature of that town was just so different from the feel of the other towns and cities, welcomed or not. I liked the deviation from the happy, whimsical music the other towns had given the player up until that point. It was kind of a hallowing moment to realize even the world of Pokémon had a place of solitude and reverence.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    I never really found it creepy for some reason, I just found the music to be annoying in the original games.

Bay

Years
    That music still creeps me out, that's for sure.

The whole nature of that town was just so different from the feel of the other towns and cities, welcomed or not. I liked the deviation from the happy, whimsical music the other towns had given the player up until that point. It was kind of a hallowing moment to realize even the world of Pokémon had a place of solitude and reverence.

Haha yeah the music is what gets to me the most. Like it wasn't too scary to me, but it still feels a bit unsettling compared to the other music for other towns.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2017
    If you ask 1000 people I garuntee the biggest and most common factor people will have towards Lavender Town is the music. Lets face an "Epic" movie isn't epic without an orchestral fanfare fight scene and a horror film isn't a horror without awkward chords during high stress periods. Sound is a big factor in what sets the mood to a memory our brains base memories off of senses. I remember when I first heard about Lavender Town Syndrome and other things that arose in the net, but the most interesting thing about Lavender Town is that the sprites of missingno and a couple other sprites are hidden and by exploiting certain things in Lavender Town's code you can get some interesting effects. I think that originally there was supposed to be MORE to Lavender Town but due to confrontations it became scratched and the idea of "death" as a main subject didn't happen until later installments in the series.

Years
    If you ask 1000 people I garuntee the biggest and most common factor people will have towards Lavender Town is the music.
    Sure, but even if that's what scares them or such, what will they answer?

In any case, 'the music' is a soundtrack, if it was played in Celadon Gym then it would just be humorous. In discussing 'the music,' it's effective in whatever way because of the place which it's played in, and then you're discussing the nature of this place anyway.

In any case, if the music was initially enough to scare them, and in a place which brought this out, you suspect they might be slightly traumatised by the end of progressing through that place, since that's a fairly quick way of getting turned away by a place.

I think that originally there was supposed to be MORE to Lavender Town but due to confrontations it became scratched and the idea of "death" as a main subject didn't happen until later installments in the series.
    Well, 'death' was already a subject, of course. It perhaps wasn't meant as much as a sentimental subject till later, as after all that section isn't the point of the place, but rather a preparation - nonetheless it is there, and perhaps a bit more indifferently instead. Still, of course, it's plausible that there was to be more to Lavender Town, but it's curious that the reason you'd suggest is approximately the most Lavender Town-esque phrasing possble.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2017
    Still, of course, it's plausible that there was to be more to Lavender Town, but it's curious that the reason you'd suggest is approximately the most Lavender Town-esque phrasing possble.

:P I can be that way sometimes because regardless on whether or not my suggested hypothesis is true, the mystery is part of what gives it the fuel that we can speculate on. I did my research on real v.s. fake but there's always a story for something that can be made out of nothing. Deciphering the truths kind of killed the wonder of it but to be honest. I will still read a creepypasta now and then.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I remember reading the creepypasta one night and I didn't sleep very well. I was young and naive but even know it's still incredibly creepy.

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
    You know, even as a six year old I was never ~too~ spooked by Lavender Town. In fact I thought it was quite beautiful that they addressed the concept of remembering your beloved Pokemon in death, and the Marowak story really touched me, even moving me to tears when I helped Marowak move on to the afterlife.
    To this day, it's one of my favorite towns. :) I especially love the town's theme as well as the Pokemon Tower's theme.

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2016
    The music was really the only thing that scared me. I guess the idea of a Pokemon cemetery was creepy but the music man, the music. I think it was kinda bold to put a town revolved around death in a kids game. To be honest, that's probably why it's so popular.

Years
    If the ghosts from Lavender Town were to talk about love, what might they say?

Incidentally, just seems worth noting that there's a fairly interesting seeming-reminiscence of this area in this song.

Returning the the subject of Lavender Town, though, they do seem to be aware of the 'love' connotations of such names as for instance in 'Laverre.' Obviously that place isn't nearly as well-known, and doesn't stand out much either, ultimately, but anyway.

To be honest, that's probably why it's so popular.
    The second generation Lavender Town, as it were, isn't that popular. Lavender Town is generally known as the place with ghosts, and perhaps channelers whom you can battle, rather than with NPCs who can talk about death, and most of its fame or infamy is based on their effect and the player's interaction with the area.

And being honest, the second gen Lavender Town also dealt with 'death,' ghosts are a popular theme in things involving children and this frequently involves graveyards, etc., and effectively dead animals isn't actually that out-there, but ultimately the second gen version comes across as mostly abstracting from what makes the town interesting to people.

I remember reading the creepypasta one night and I didn't sleep very well. I was young and naive but even know it's still incredibly creepy.
    There weren't ghosts in the neighbourhood helping, were there? Then it would totally be carrying the torch for Lavender Town and its effect.

Now, then, how knavish of the creepypasta to use Lavender Town's design to creep people out again.

Back