• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

609 - CHANDELURE

609Chandelure.png

"The spirits burned up in its ominous flame lose their way and wander this world forever."

Introduced in Black and White, Chandelure and its pre-evolutions share the distinction of being the only dual Ghost/Fire types released thus far. Boasting the highest base special attack of any non-Legendary and non-Mega evolved Pokemon, Chandelure has the potential to hit very hard indeed, although its other sub-par base stats make it a glass cannon not really suited to competitive battling. Unfortunately, its Shadow Tag hidden ability was never released in the Gen V titles either, and was later changed to Infiltrator in Gen VI. In the anime, Chandelure was used by Ingo, but has otherwise remained conspicuously absent in any noticeable role. Chandelure is also set to appear as a playable fighter in the upcoming Pokken Tournament.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Chandelure! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What do you think of Chandelure's recent inclusion in Pokken? If you purchase the game, will you use it? What sort of play style are you expecting it to have?
  • Would you use a Chandelure competitively if its Shadow Tag Hidden Ability was released?

Reactions: Sun

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
What do you think of Chandelure's recent inclusion in Pokken? If you purchase the game, will you use it? What sort of play style are you expecting it to have?

I was a little disappointed that a Pokémon like Chandelure was included in the game. I mean, they had much better Pokémon to choose from with greater potential, like Mienshao, Braviary, Bisharp, or GOLURK.

Would you use a Chandelure competitively if its Shadow Tag Hidden Ability was released?

Probably not, because that thing could be the next Mega Gengar. XD

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I was actually impressed that Chandelure made it to the game. Though I have no idea how it will fight, as I mean it's an inanimate object-mon, so I'm probably gonna try it out once the game is released. About the Shadow tag thing... Meh, probably not. There are better abilities for it tbh.

I would also point out that Chandelure isn't exactly a glass cannon, at least in my opinion. It's HP is meh, sure, but mine was tanky enough to stall super effective attacks from REALLY strong mons.

Just my experience tho.

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
Years
Sylveon
zJt0n1x.png

I absolutely love Sylveon! :) In short, I'd say she's pretty much the textbook definition of adorable <3 It just feels like everything sweet, joyful, and endearing was incorporated into her design; those adorable colors, her cute bows and ribbons, just amazing <3 She's definitely one of my absolute fave Pokémon, and one of the best things to come out of the new Fairy type. I never really started playing my Y version until last October, and I caught my Eevee a couple months after (a critical capture, no less!), which I named Sylver, and is now my precious Sylveon :) He's pretty powerful and bulky, and he's proved to be very useful in my playthrough, and he's been there at the big story parts; I plan to have him as part of my Elite Four team :)

Overall, Sylveon ranks as my second favorite Eeveelution, behind Leafeon; the ones after Sylveon being Glaceon, Eevee, Umbreon, Vaporeon, Espeon, Flareon , and Jolteon in that order. (Now, I really like all of them, and think they're all adorable, but some are just moreso to me :P)

MGuBT6t.png

Sylveon seems pretty decent competitively too; it's got a good ability, and a lot of Sp. Attack and bulk to it; plus, special attackers are my favorite. As for her evolution method, I don't mind at all. Amie is something I've been happily occupied with quite often (I've always been really into the "people's spiritual/emotional bond with Pokémon" thing), so it was easy for me to get Sylveon. I really hope that it's a feature that stays in future games. And even if it doesn't, they'll definitely make an alternative method for evolving Eevee into Sylveon. I'm currently making my way through the current series anime (subs!), and while I'm quite a ways behind, I'm excited to see Serena's adorable Eevee evolve. <3

Cherrim
pnTJiU7.png
T973S2p.png

Not much for me to say about this one either, but I absolutely adore the Sunshine form! It's just so happy and cute! :3 Other than seeing it every now and then in the games and the brief appearance of a few happy Cherrim in the Darkrai movie, I don't remember much of this guy. But it's definitely marked down as one of the cutest mons, in my opinion. It may not be the most powerful Pokémon, but in my free time, I think I'll consider getting Cherrim in AS. ^^

Chandelure
kvDWh4F.png

I remember this guy a bit more fondly, but never really had much of an opinion of him until lately. I don't remember using one in BW, and I haven't used one in XY/ORAS. I remember its appearance in Smash Bros, in which it actually absorbed Fire-based attacks and made itself more powerful- a nice attention to detail there. I recently learned that it's a Special Attacking beast, so that prompts me to train up a Litwick someday (which really helps as I love Litwick <3). I really do like its design and typing (always been fond of Fire types), and the Fire-absorbing abilities, it's really useful.

I think it's awesome that it's in Pokkén. Really goes to show that there's no limits as to what can make the roster, and I'm really interested to see how they'll make it work. And just look at its gorgeous artwork! So much detail.

6a2DDI9.png

Like it or not, it seems that this guy's been getting a nice amount of attention lately, particularly from the unexpected appearances like Smash and Pokkén. I'm happy for this dude, he's a cool Pokémon, and I wouldn't mind seeing him continue getting this kind of love in the future :)

I was a little disappointed that a Pokémon like Chandelure was included in the game. I mean, they had much better Pokémon to choose from with greater potential, like Mienshao, Braviary, Bisharp, or GOLURK.
I don't necessarily think the inclusion of him rules out any of those other Pokémon being in the game, as well. They're still gonna be adding new ones for a while, I'd think.

Last edited:

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Hmm, none of the questions for Chandelure really apply to me! I've not warmed up to Pokken yet and I don't play competitively! Again, with regards to Pokken, I'd be a lot more excited if I wasn't clouded by a strong desire for a new main-series game.

That aside, I use Chandelure in a regular playthough before and thought it was pretty fantastic. I think the Ghost/Fire typing made it fierce. Almost instantly I liked its design and the designs of its pre-evolutions.

Years
Ah yes, Chandelure is my favorite Ghost-type Pokémon. Its design is really cool, so is its typing and that massive Special Attack stat. Even if I've had some crazy memories of Shauntal's in B2W2 Challenge Mode with the Choice Scarf!

As for what I'd do if it was released with Shadow Tag... Well, I don't battle competitively. :P

pkmin3033

386 - DEOXYS

YN0ociT.png

"An alien virus that fell to earth on a meteor underwent a DNA mutation to become this Pokémon."

A Legendary Pokemon from outer space, and the last Pokemon to feature in the Hoenn Pokedex, Deoxys has the ability to shift into four different forms – Normal, Attack, Defense and Speed – making it a competitively viable Pokemon for a variety of different scenarios. It has been featured multiple times in the anime, including getting its own movie where it battled Rayquaza, as well as a Pokemon Ranger special. Deoxys has been made available multiple times in the games since its introduction through timed events, and was recently made available for the first time in a mothership title outside of an event in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's Delta Episode, where it makes a surprise appearance at the end at Level 80.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Deoxys! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Which of Deoxys' forms is your favourite, and why?
  • Which of Deoxys' anime appearances did you enjoy watching the most?
  • Where do you think Deoxys comes from?

Adam Levine

Years
Which of Deoxys' forms is your favourite, and why?

I think my favorite is the Speed Forme. It seems like its stats are more well-rounded: its defenses aren't terrible, and the speed is better.

Where do you think Deoxys comes from?

A meteorite from another galaxy, I guess?

pkmin3033

I still haven't finished the Delta Episode yet - Alpha Sapphire didn't keep my attention for that long, aha - so I don't have a Deoxys of my own yet...I did have one through trading, but eh, it's not really the same. I remember being VERY annoyed you needed a second player to get one from Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs, though.

As for its forms...I like the defense form. It's...bulky. I dunno, the other three all look too similar to me; the defense one is the only one that actually looks as though it's changed.

Also, Deoxys can fire brain laser beams. How cool is that? If that jewel IS its brain, it's like a Pokemon version of an Utrom...as soon as I get one I can nickname, I'm calling it Krang.

pkmin3033

109 - KOFFING

109Koffing.png

Because it stores several kinds of toxic gases in its body, it is prone to exploding without warning.
A pure poison-type introduced in the first generation, and the only one immune to Ground-type moves thanks to its ability Levitate. Koffing is a common favourite of Team Rocket grunts and Bikers, and has always been located near urban areas in the games. Koffing was James' first Pokemon in the anime, and featured prominently in battles until it evolved into Weezing in Dig Those Diglett! Since then, it has had minor appearances in the show, although it was used by Roxie to great effect when she battled against Ash.

• The original Koffing sprite had the face below its skull and crossbones marking. Do you think this looks better or worse than the official design?
  • In the Japanese version of Pokemon Black 2/White 2, Roxie is singing Koffing's Japanese name, Dogars. This was changed to "Pokemon" in the localised version. Is this better, or worse?
My mouse has crapped out and using this touchpad is absolutely unbearable; I'll tidy this up tomorrow as soon as my new mouse arrives. Paying a fortune for 1-day delivery because I literally cannot do anything without a mouse; I'm borrowing my mother's right now but she's taking it to work with her, so. Next POTD will be up probably later tomorrow due to this.

Adam Levine

Years
The original Koffing sprite had the face below its skull and crossbones marking. Do you think this looks better or worse than the official design?

It actually looks the same to me. At least it has the marks and face. But if its overall design were to change, NO. Just...no. Koffing is too perfect right now.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
The original Koffing sprite had the face below its skull and crossbones marking. Do you think this looks better or worse than the official design?
I love the current design than its original design. Our current official one looks friendlier, while the older design looks like it has a huge brain filled with toxic liquid...
tumblr_inline_mxuexv2azn1qbgh4j.png
In the Japanese version of Pokemon Black 2/White 2, Roxie is singing Koffing's Japanese name, Dogars. This was changed to "Pokemon" in the localised version. Is this better, or worse?
I hate the one from English versions. They could have had change it to 'P-O-I-S-O-N' in my opinion. :/

Last edited:
Years
I actually had to think about it, and I don't think I've ever used Koffing in the Pokemon games. It's also the reason why as a kid I always thought Poison was weak to Fire type attacks, as you'd think a floating ball of toxic gas wouldn't fare too well against an attack like Flamethrower.

I think they made the right decision in moving its marking below its face. Though, looking at that early sprite, it does look a bit meaner, but I've grown to like the goofy look of Koffing, which I think suited James' Koffing well.

In the Japanese version of Pokemon Black 2/White 2, Roxie is singing Koffing's Japanese name, Dogars. This was changed to "Pokemon" in the localised version. Is this better, or worse?I wasn't really a big fat of the song either way, but agree with Sun that POISON would've worked better than POKEMON. Though, seeing as Pokemon and Koffing have the same amount of letters, I don't know why they didn't go with that instead.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
omg it's smogon!!!!

I prefer the new design. Koffing looks considerably less malevolent and more like an actual living creature. The other one looks like some sort of irritated time bomb that is liable to explode at any second.

In the Japanese version of Pokemon Black 2/White 2, Roxie is singing Koffing's Japanese name, Dogars. This was changed to "Pokemon" in the localised version. Is this better, or worse?
It didn't make very much difference to me. This may or may not be because I had no idea what she was singing in any version until I read this thread. 'Pokemon' makes more sense, though, as I doubt too many people would have known what 'Dogars' was supposed to mean.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years

I prefer the current design. The older one looks kinda wrong, I like the official design more.

pkmin3033

321 - WAILORD

321Wailord.png

"The biggest of all Pokémon. It can dive to a depth of almost 10,000 feet on only one breath."

Introduced in the third generation, Wailord is a fantastic example of a Pokemon defying the laws of physics and common sense: it can be hooked on a fishing rod, is a fraction of its size in the games (although this was rectified in Pokemon Battle Revolution) and if it uses a physical attack it doesn't instantly KO an opponent's Pokemon. No doubt due to its massive size, Wailord has only had a couple of anime appearances outside of brief cameos, and then only as a mode of transportation, rather than as a contender in a serious battle. Outside of its whopping 47'07" in height, Wailord's most notable characteristic in the games is its bizarre ability to breed with the diminutive, adorable Skitty, as well as being required in your party in order to acquire the Regis in the third generation titles.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Wailord! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Skitty on Wailord. Have you tried it in game? What did you get?
  • What do you imagine a Mega Wailord looking like?
  • Did you figure out that you needed a Wailord in your party to acquire the Regis, or did you need to look it up?

36 hours without a mouse is a nightmare. I'll be doing the next POTD around this time (between 7pm and 8pm GMT) from this point forward...probably works out better for other timezones anyway! Sorry about the delay! Also holycrap, Koffing is popular. xD

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Which of Deoxys' forms is your favorite, and why?
I kind of just like the normal forme Deoxys because when it twists its arms, it kind of looks like strands of DNA. DNA is something that looks really cool, and I think GameFreak did a great job with Deoxys.

I also like the other forms, especially the Attack and Speed form.

Which of Deoxys' anime appearances did you enjoy watching the most?
Destiny Deoxys, hands down. What an incredible film.

Where do you think Deoxys comes from?
I think it came from a passing asteroid. I think some sort of signal enticed Deoxys to come to Earth.

Spr_1b_109.png
I always thought it was just upside-down, but that's interesting to see it was completely switched around. I think it looks better the way it is now and I'm glad that's the way they kept it.

Skitty on Wailord. Have you tried it in game? What did you get?
Nah man.

What do you imagine a Mega Wailord looking like?
I think it would have more fins, be 3 times larger, and would cause the battle to be both won and lost instantly.

Did you figure out that you needed a Wailord in your party to acquire the Regis, or did you need to look it up?
I discovered it on accident because I had 3 team members that were Wailord. They made triple battles quite glorious indeed. You should have been there; they took up the entire screen!!

Adam Levine

Years
Skitty on Wailord. Have you tried it in game? What did you get?

No, but I plan to now...for science!

What do you imagine a Mega Wailord looking like?

The lord of all whales. Essentially less like an inflated whale blimp and more like a real whale, a blue whale, plus some barnacle-like appendages around its body, and sharper teeth. That'd be cool.

pkmin3033

122 – MR. MIME

122Mr._Mime.png

"If interrupted while it is miming, it will slap around the offender with its broad hands."

An odd mime/clownlike Pokemon (has there ever not been an odd mime or clown?) introduced in the first generation, despite its relative obscurity, Mr. Mime has received a fair bit of development across the games: first in the form of a pre-evolution, Mime Jr., and later receiving reclassification as a Psychic/Fairy type in Generation VI. Like all Pokemon towards the end of the original Kanto Pokedex, Mr. Mime has always been relatively rare to encounter in the games. Mr. Mime has had a minor recurring role in the anime as Ash's mother's housekeeper Mimey, and has been used by one-off trainers in battle throughout since.

• Do you expect (or would you like) a Mrs. Mime to appear in the future, or a Mime Sr.?
  • Does being reclassified as a Psychic/Fairy type suit Mr. Mime, in your opinion?
  • Did you use Marcel in Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow? Will you when the games are released on the eShop later this month?

Adam Levine

Years
Does being reclassified as a Psychic/Fairy type suit Mr. Mime, in your opinion?

While Mr. Mime doesn't look like it deserves the typing, wonderful things were given to it. Nasty Plot + Dazzling Gleam/Shadow Ball means death to anyone that doesn't resist it. Heck, I defeated a Mega Lucario with this thing. Also, its Dark and Bug weaknesses have been lifted, although two new ones were given to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back