• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Make-a-Mega

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    So we should break it down even further and poll for every aspect?
    Yes. After thinking on it more you can disregard the nomination/submission suggestion and go with a simple discussion -> poll process. Pick out the popular ideas in the discussion and make a poll out of them.

This might end up being too convoluted, but there are only 3 things to discuss and vote on (typing, ability, and stats), excluding designs. I think it'd be more organized and focused than having people decide on everything at once. Could always streamline the process in the future.

Years
  • Yes. After thinking on it more you can disregard the nomination/submission suggestion and go with a simple discussion -> poll process. Pick out the popular ideas in the discussion and make a poll out of them.

This might end up being too convoluted, but there are only 3 things to discuss and vote on (typing, ability, and stats), excluding designs. I think it'd be more organized and focused than having people decide on everything at once. Could always streamline the process in the future.

I am all for streamlining, I'd like to hear some more thoughts on the matter though.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • To make sure I'm following as well...

- Discussion thread in battling section about what a new mega for a Pokemon should have (stat changes, ability, typing)
    - Possible follow-up poll thread based on discussion
    - In meantime/afterwards, A&D competition designing a mega design for the Pokemon given above info. Submission period followed by member votes; best one gets featured in article (other entries linked to from article).
    - Create article based on above
    - Post-article - implementation on a potential PS server for battling, again using winning design?

If so (or similar), I am fine with this strategy.

Years
  • To make sure I'm following as well...

- Discussion thread in battling section about what a new mega for a Pokemon should have (stat changes, ability, typing)
    - Possible follow-up poll thread based on discussion
    - In meantime/afterwards, A&D competition designing a mega design for the Pokemon given above info. Submission period followed by member votes; best one gets featured in article (other entries linked to from article).
    - Create article based on above
    - Post-article - implementation on a potential PS server for battling, again using winning design?

If so (or similar), I am fine with this strategy.

Pretty much yeah. It's just the timing of things that we need to work out now.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Pretty much yeah. It's just the timing of things that we need to work out now.

I think the only timing thing to sort out is when the art thread is made - either before the stat changes are voted on or after they are being the two reasonable options. The latter would line up with when the article starts being written (if other sections aren't done beforehand). I am fine with either if one is

Going to see how long Kirby thinks is needed for a competition in terms of time and how useful knowing the confirmed changes for the mega will be as opposed to options for it. If say 2 weeks or more is needed/is ideal, I would go with starting the art competition when voting starts on the stat changes.
    Kirby said:

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Two to three weeks should be adequate for those who wish to contribute fully rendered, colored pieces.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Good deal! Would you like me to compose a thread for this or would either of you guys like to do it? I don't mind making it, just give me a basic outline to work with so I don't accidentally miss anything important! :)

Years
  • I was going to do the thread for Battling and Team Building, so I'd be happy to do the one in A&D too. Perhaps I'll write up a draft for each and post them here first and you can let me know what you think?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Just to clarify, I meant to suggest that you should start individual threads for each "part" of the Mega at a time (typing, ability, stats). One master thread would be less efficient and hard to keep track of. You could try something like 5 days of discussion -> 2 days of voting for each part. That would take roughly 3 weeks to finish.

Alternatively, you could have people discuss all the options at once for about 10 days, then have them nominate their Megas with all required details, and lastly vote on that. It'd be similar to the Forum Frontier. It'd be shorter than the other process by about a week, but you might encounter problems with inconsistent quality in nominations. e.g. A nomination has a good idea for typing and ability, but their suggested stats are terrible. This is avoided in the other process, since everything is done individually.

Years
  • Just to clarify, I meant to suggest that you should start individual threads for each "part" of the Mega at a time (typing, ability, stats). One master thread would be less efficient and hard to keep track of. You could try something like 5 days of discussion -> 2 days of voting for each part. That would take roughly 3 weeks to finish.

Alternatively, you could have people discuss all the options at once for about 10 days, then have them nominate their Megas with all required details, and lastly vote on that. It'd be similar to the Forum Frontier. It'd be shorter than the other process by about a week, but you might encounter problems with inconsistent quality in nominations. e.g. A nomination has a good idea for typing and ability, but their suggested stats are terrible. This is avoided in the other process, since everything is done individually.

Yeah I'm with you there, but to allow the artists time then we need to let them know as soon as we have decided on which pokemon to work with.

Years
  • So, this look good for the post in Battling and Team Building?

Make-a-Mega

We all know that there's a lot of pokemon that just plain suck competitively. However, the introduction of mega-evolution as a mechanic allowed many pokemon that would otherwise be very weak to suddenly become very usable. In the case of some pokemon (ie. Lucario or Mawile), their mega-evolutions give them such a boost that they jump from lower tiers into Ubers.

So, for the Daily series Make-a-Mega, we're going to take a pokemon that is ordinarily quite weak and create a mega-evolution that will render it usable in a higher tier.

Such power should not be left to one person however, so we're asking you – the PokeCommunity's competitive battlers – which pokemon you think deserves a mega. To take part, simply comment in this thread with the (one) pokemon you'd like to see gain a mega-evolution. Then, after three days, we'll open a four-day poll and the winner of the poll will be the focus of this month's Make-a-Mega article.

Following the decision of this poll, we'll then do a series of polls in the following weeks to determine the changes to our chosen Pokemon's stats, type (if any) and ability (if any). Meanwhile, a similar poll will take place in Art & Design where PC's artists will attempt to design the mega-evolution for this pokemon.

Week-by-week breakdown

Week One: Pokemon is determined
    Week Two: A&D work begins, stat changes are determined
    Week Three: Type change (if any) is determined.
    Week Four: Ability change (if any) is determined. Featured design is selected.

The article is then published as the next polling process begins.

Guidelines

1. The chosen Pokemon must be fully-evolved or have no evolutions.
    2. It should not already possess a mega-evolution.
    3. It must be from a tier below OU.

I'll get to the A&D one shortly.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Looks good.

I'm assuming wolf is fine with it given his input, and if need be we can always adjust/finetune the process as we go. Approved!

Probably could use a bulletin board announcement when the thread is up. Btw, the above info post doesn't show up (just a white background) on older skins (e.g. The Johto Elite); might be some additional css required to fix that but I'm afraid I don't recall.

Years
  • Looks good.

I'm assuming wolf is fine with it given his input, and if need be we can always adjust/finetune the process as we go. Approved!

Probably could use a bulletin board announcement when the thread is up. Btw, the above info post doesn't show up (just a white background) on older skins (e.g. The Johto Elite); might be some additional css required to fix that but I'm afraid I don't recall.

I probably forgot to include a colour tag for the text, I do that too often.
    Aside from that, can I go ahead and post this then (with the text fixed)?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I'm a bit late, but I have a small suggestion. Wouldn't it be better to start with the typing first? It seems like that would influence the design more than the stats. e.g. Mega Pinsir would look much different if it wasn't a Flying-type.

I hope this is successful!

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I agree, I think the change in typing would have a more visual effect on the Pokemon than altering their stats. :)

Years
  • I'm a bit late, but I have a small suggestion. Wouldn't it be better to start with the typing first? It seems like that would influence the design more than the stats. e.g. Mega Pinsir would look much different if it wasn't a Flying-type.

I hope this is successful!

I agree, I think the change in typing would have a more visual effect on the Pokemon than altering their stats. :)

Fair point, I'll reorder it and do typing next not stats. Thanks for pointing that out guys!

Back