• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Nightfall Watchers Initative: A Horror Hunters RP

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Who Are the Nightfall Watchers?

The Nightfall Watchers Initiative was passed by a council of concerned citizens, thereafter known as the Eyes on the Wall, in order to combat those that would disrupt the normality of human society and drag humanity screaming into the dark. Not all of their intentions are destructive, however. The Watchers study many aspects of the unknown that can potentially help humanity as a whole. The group also works to protect Lost Souls, humans with the ability to perceive the unnatural in unforeseen ways and are often hosts themselves to great thaumaturgical powers.

The Watchers are not a military, however, even if they are armed like one. Watchers are still to be considered civilians first and foremost, and given a fair bit of leeway in their actions and behavior, so long as it does not pose a risk to the operations of the Nightfall Watchers as a whole, or risks exposing the organization to the public's eyes.

Who does Humanity Need Protection From?

- Phantoms, Haunts, and Daemons: Humans with particularly strong emotions overwhelming their lives tend to leave an impact in the form of a phantom when they die. While on their own they tend to be little more than lingering emotions, a large host of phantoms can create areas home to inexplicable phenomenon and irrational, often dangerous and anti-social, behavior in humans in the Haunt's area.

Even more dangerous than haunts are Daemons, particularly malevolent phantoms that gain a higher form of awareness above raw emotions. Daemons often can affect their environments directly, and if allowed to exist long enough to gain even more sentience, some find ways to create physical forms.

- Various Creatures of the Night: Although we like to believe that many tales of monsters hunting men are just stories, not all of the old Hunters of Man are gone. Every once in a while a creature emerges from hiding to begin preying on humanity again.

- Cults and Covens: Sometimes humanities worst enemy is itself. Many cults worship the unknown, and most of them pose no danger of actually summoning something to our world. What danger they actually pose, however, is rouge Thaumaturges indoctrinated by the cults and ceremonies that drag unwilling members into the mix. While most cults are based upon fake entities, some have a basis in reality. The cults dedicated to the worship and/or awakening of an actual entity are considered a top priority within the Watchers.

- Other Hunters of Horrors: Two other organizations similar to the Nightfall Watchers exist, and are in direct conflict with the Watchers.

• The Unexplained Activities Task-Force: The official government coalition dedicated to containing unnatural entities. Unlike the Watcher's policy of reintegration of Lost Souls and destruction when necessary, the UATF focuses on capturing entities for study and follows a policy of containment. Where it once seemed that the Watchers and UATF could coexist, policy clash and mutual distrust have lead to a souring of relations to the point of competition and direct conflict between the organizations.

• The Crimson Lantern Society: Another civilian lead front against the unknown, and considered to be the Watcher's chief antagonist. The Crimson Lanterns oppose all forms of the paranormal, and seek to eradicate it. Their acts of wanton destruction against anything considered to be unnatural, as well as their treatment of Lost Souls, leads to widespread disgust among Watchers sympathetic towards unknowns. Most Watchers consider them little more than terrorists, an while discouraged, disruption of Lantern activity is tolerated by the Eyes on the Wall.
    - The Abyss: Humanity has long had the idea that they are not alone in the universe, and in some ways they were right. However, the invaders did not descend from the Stars, but rather rose from the ground. The Abyss is an unknown plane of existence that has emerged recently. Invading from portals of swirling liquid, black and thick as tar, Abysslings are often shadowy in appearance, with strange bodily configurations and an insatiable appetite. There are currently no known ways to fully close a portal, but a few methods of slowing their arrival and predictability make them a threat, rather than overwhelming.

- The Ones Who Came Before: Ancient, sleeping monstrosities. There is currently no known way to contain or eradicate them. They are to remain dreaming at all costs, any cults attempting to wake one is to be considered the number one priority. Their potential effects on the world are too great to allow a compromise in the mission.

Okay, So what will we do in this roleplay?

The players will take the role of a recently commissioned branch and it's Operative and Thaumatergical members in Hamilton Port, an up an coming city on the Eastern US coast. Unfortunately for the citizens of Hamilton Port, the city has been built atop the One Who Came Before known as the Fifth Prince. To make matters worse, a local cult has uncovered the existence of the Fifth Prince and are actively trying to wake it, and a minor portal to the abyss has opened up. This unfortunate string of events has lead to the approval of Operation Preventive Regicide and the formation of the Operative Task Force 23-4: The Court Assassins to keep Normalcy, least the Prince rouse from his sleep.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    -------Alright, alright, you've caught my eye.

-------I think so far you've included a clever way of incorporating characters with supernatural elements alongside more down-to-earth human characters with the Lost Souls and the normal Watchers. Though, on the subject of these "Lost Souls": how exactly would they function in the roleplay? What roles what they play, what mechanics would they follow...?

-------I feel, as a whole, your interest check focuses more on the lore than fleshing out the plot and the player objectives, anything else that would resonate with me as a potential applicant. You've done a swell enough job of acquainting me to the antagonists and the protagonists but "How do they connect to everything?" is the question I'm left asking in the end.

-------Everything concerning players in terms of the plot seems to be restricted to that final paragraph and I don't think that's a very good way of handling things. Focusing on the content of this paragraph itself: its brevity confuses me. Is this an isolated event in the roleplay, one big mission? Perhaps it is the main mission, the "big kahuna" of missions, the one that all other smaller missions revolve around? See, the reason my mind immediately goes to, "That's it? But aren't there other 'missions'?" is because, based on the amount of explanation thus far, the number of occult creatures and opposing groups that could prove interesting obstacles, I expected more opportunities for characters to interact with what is provided and what has mainly drawn me to responding to this thread. This could, of course, be more to 'The Nightfall Watchers', but I wouldn't know based on that final paragraph. My suggestion is to not just flesh it out more but to get rid of "putting everything at the end", essentially, and explaining lore and mechanics alongside one another. That would really get me invested.

-------Furthermore, the way this final paragraph is written is difficult for me, personally, to understand. Straightforward at first—we have the setting and the complication—but then we've got "Operation Preventive Regicide" and the "Court Assassins", and know I'm confused. A lot of name-dropping that catches me off-guard as someone very new to your idea.

-------Nonetheless, this is still an in-development concept, is it not? Still, again, I feel my criticisms would help to flesh out your idea, not from the perspective of a writer or reader, but from the perspective of a player. I suppose what you have is interesting but I'm not wanting to invest in this idea, to sign-up as my own character yet, y'know? It's mainly because I don't know what's in store.

Years
  • I've had an itch for a Bloodborne RP and this seems similar enough that it'd scratch it. I would agree with Disclosed that the lore is good but the plot itself... how to put it? The way you wrote it, it feels it'll be mainly plot-driven and our characters will have little impact in the end.

That said I'd still be interested in joining! Just something to think about.

PastelPhoenix

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Yeah, it's still very much a work in progress, which is mostly why I wanted the Interest Check feedback. I could sit and make up rules and ideas all day but if the interest isn't there, well I can try to force people to play pirates but if they want to play knights then none of us are having fun.

And on another note, yes, the actual main plot versus the lore is lacking. Half of it was me wanting to just gauge general interest in the idea of the campaign, and the other half is me still looking for that proper mix between things that happen without the player's involvement, and ensuring the players actually have agency in the story. I kept it kind of vague, but I probably am going to post a much more in depth addition to the basic plot outlines soon.

An initial idea I had towards how the RP actually progresses would be have players tackle the issues as they deem fit, but have the various factions progress in their own goals if they're ignored by the players, with minor issues such as haunts and monster-of-the-weeks to fill in the backlog of Not entirely world threatening, but still dangerous. Of course, as usual, I worry about the level of player agency in this. If I make the progression too fast I risk railroading the players or creating a no-win scenario. Too slow and there's no story progression as the threats slowly become non-threats. Plus I don't want to just give players missions saying "do this", as it's a roleplay and not a videogame, but the style just doesn't seem fit to sandbox in my opinion.

Overall, yeah, I still have my work cut out for me. This is just an interest check in it's truest form, "how would you feel about X?"

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Yep, it's always nice to get other peoples' perspectives on things. Though, as a note, I think it'd be easier to gain serious intrigue from other people with a more put-together roleplaying idea rather than with a collection of lore. At least here.

I'm sure you can make things work with a decent amount of lore to work off of. Hopefully my earlier criticisms help you mold the final product!

Etherion

hype for this RP! it gives of a Supernatural vibe, you should strive to flesh out this RP, I think its worth-it because this is such an interesting concept ^^

PastelPhoenix

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Update on the idea here, also hopefully closer to having a fleshed out the idea here.

An Explanation of Current Thaumaturical Findings
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Long post that may just be all worldbuilding and more lore. I do have a second update that I will make either tonight or tomorrow hopefully, which should include more actual plot and mechanics for the RP.

Last edited:

Etherion

awesome update! it makes me crave more! though, seeing that you set-up Thaumatergy in a high note, will the player characters as members of the Operative and Thaumatergical branch in Hamilton Port, be able to use this skill? or just the Lost Souls they swore to protect?

anyways, i'm sure more will be revealed soon, super excited for the next update, and this RP in general! :D :D

PastelPhoenix

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I do plan to allow player characters to be Thaumaturges, a lot of it is just balancing on my end, making sure neither Thamaturges and standard Operatives are overpowered. Part of the next update is touching upon that. Right now the plan is for players to either be a Thaumaturge with a specialized domain: Manipulators (Toss and Hold), Amplifiers (Flash-Fire/Flash-Freeze), or Puppeteers (Obvious), while Operatives have access to some larger firepower and tools/gadgets that Thaumaterges can't use.

Last edited:

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Definitely like where this RP is going. Nice job on fleshing it out more! Im really starting to get a better feel for what this Rp would be like and it seems like it would be a lot of fun!

PastelPhoenix

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Update 2: Plot and other such

Operation Preventive Regicide:

Spoiler:

So Who Are We?

Spoiler:

What Are We Doing?

Spoiler:

Factions:

Spoiler:

Player Roles:

Spoiler:

A later update will list the exact amount of equipment points Thaumaterges and normal operatives get, as well as available equipment (it's a lot of balancing). Also planned for fleshing out is a Bestiary of various monsters and Abyss-dwellers, as well as the districts and features of Hamilton Port itself.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Etherion

awesome update, once again :) We finally got to see, in detail, our roles in the RP ^^ as well as the world and the inhabitants~

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
  • So its like a supernatural torchwood institute? (Group dedicated to protecting the earth from alien threats and gathering alien artifacts deemed to dangerous for the people and government to have access to... Great TV show)

But yeah, I would be all for it. It scratches my dark itch and sounds like it might even have some Lovecraftian monsters in there. Not to mention being in a secret organization is awesome.

You have my sword.

PastelPhoenix

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    A brief status update here. First off, thanks for the positive feedback! I'm excited to finally get this off the ground soon (hopefully), if anyone else has any concerns about potential balance, or want some explanation of a system I've mentioned already, let me know and I can either explain my thoughts, or look into it more.

As for actually getting this playable, I hope the next 1-2 updates (covering Tools of the Trade, Misc. Rules, and the Support Staff) and feedback on those get it at least to where I can place an OOC thread and start accepting SUs, during the OOC I'll also push the less immediately important updates (Bestiary and Regions of Hamilton). Unfortunately, I'll be out of town for the weekend, so no updates yet, but I'll be working on it so hopefully we can get something early next week.

And once again, thanks.

Back