• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokemon Rising Sun and Waning Moon

Kobazco

Gex Fan
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 21, 2023
Pokemon Rising Sun and Waning Moon
v 2.0
Works for both Pokemon Moon and Sun!
Download & Information:Google is your friend
Feedback is much appreciated and NEEDED
HOMEBREW IS REQUIRED
HOMEBREW INSTALLATION: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/
Download: https://t.co/herDuIGVWg
-Notice-

Please ask if you want to upload this elsewhere, or at least give credit back to this post or my twitter.

Lets start off with some context. Currently, pk3DS allows us to edit the trainers and move sets of pokemon within Pokemon Sun and Moon. I decided to go ahead and create a challenge mode of sorts, similar to that of Pokemon Blaze Black/Volt White. Currently editing wild encounters!

Changes:
Trial Captains and Kahunas now all have teams of 6 Pokemon.
Level curve greatly changed. Team should be in high 70s/low 80s by the end of the elite 4.
Trainers have Pokemon not usually seen in Alola.
Movesets of weaker Pokemon is finished.
Youngster Joey has a top percent Rattata.
Wild encounters up until the post game are finished! Have fun everyone!
Custom music for post game returning trainers.
Almost every Pokemon has access to their hidden ability.

A NOTE ABOUT INSTRUCTIONS:
THE EASIEST METHOD IS GETTING A CFW, DO IT WHILE YOU CAN.
Instructions: (CFW Required for this method. See other method below if you don't have a CFW) I also still need to make the method easier for Pokemon Sun users, sorry!

THINGS YOU NEED:
- Latest nightly build of luma. (Get this through the .cia updater)
- The hack's GARC files (the stuff that actually overwrites the original assets) Get it from the Google Drive link
- The code.ips file or Rising Sun code.bin which is in the patch.zip in the Google Drive.

Running extended code with luma
- Download the luma nightly release through the luma updater .cia that you hopefully have installed.
- Create folders called SD:\\luma\titles\0004000000175E00\ (0004000000164800 for Pokemon Sun users)
- paste code.ips (For sun users use the file named Rising Sun (instructions here) and rename it to code.bin and place it in the Sun title ID folder instead of a code.ips)
- create folder called SD:\\SaltySD\sunmoon\ and place the "a" and "data" folders from the GARCS.zip in there.
- NOTE: If you are playing Pokemon Rising Sun, rename the "2" file in a/0/8/ to "3". This will make wild encounters work.
-Enable "Game Patching" in luma3DS startup options. (Name of this option may vary depending on Luma3DS version.
-Launch Pokemon Sun/Moon normally.

And that should be it! Easiest way to tell if the romhack is working is by checking your trainer passport. It should say: Adventure started on v2.0 (Currently says TPP)

This only works for Luma3DS of course, not HANS. Plus, you can combine this with other IPS patches such as Instant Text Speed, No Outlines, SciresM's QR code patch, etc.

Instructions(GARC Files/N3DS Only):
First off you're gonna need a dumped copy of Pokemon Sun/Moon. You really should have done that by now btw.
Download Extract Repack, Patch.zip and the GARC Files from my google drive.
Extract your dump's files.
Download Lunar IPS Patcher (Google it)
You should have a folder in Extract Repack tilted exefsdir, inside of it a .code.bin (if you don't have the exefsdir folder, you need to extract your Pokemon Sun and Moon dump!)
Run Lunar IPS. Select apply patch to file. Select the code.ips patch, and then make sure you can select any file and select your .code.bin.
Once its done patching, rename your .code.bin to (last 8 digits of title ID).code Make sure it becomes a .code file. The title ID should be the folder your game was dumped in.
Move 00175e00.code (Different name for Sun) to SD:\Hans
Create a folder on your SD card like so: SD:\\SaltySD\sunmoon\ and place the "a" and "Data" folder from the GARC files there.
Launch Pokemon Sun/Moon from Hans and select custom code path
Thats it! Easiest way to tell if its working is by starting a new game or checking your Trainer Passport.

FOR POKEMON SUN USERS: RENAME THE "3" FILE IN a\0\8\ TO "2"

Layeredfs: (These instructions only apply if you use the Layeredfs files)

For usage, the folders are easy actually, just drag and drop both folders in the zip on the root of your sd, and for romhack usage,
sd/Pokemon/Sun/
sd/Pokemon/Moon/

Put all of the garc files ("a" folder) in the Sun or Moon folder depending on which game you have.

Todo:
Re balance according to feedback.
Re balance Pokemon move sets and stats once tools are available.
Add in last few Pokemon. (Some starters, legendaries, etc.)
Finish documentation on the various changes.

Credits:
Creators of the tools pk3DS, extract repack, etc.
Drayano, for being a cool guy that's better at hacking than I am
Sellout:
I'm a filthy sellout. Follow me on twitter to know when major updates for the romhack come out. https://twitter.com/KobeRobsahm

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Super excited that we're already delving into S/M hacking, good job!

PS. I'm sorting out a S/M hack prefix for you :P

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
It's good to see a S/M difficulty hack this early! Very impressive that you've done so much already.

I've got a couple of suggestions based on a quick look through the documentation:
  • 1% encounter rates can be quite frustrating; spending hours in one grass patch looking for a certain Pokemon isn't much fun. I'd suggest making encounter rates for each Pokemon line at least 5% if possible.
  • Some of the trainer movesets in the mid game could be a little better; Skarmory and Dugtrio aren't going to do much damage with Air Cutter and Mud Bomb, for example. Maybe look into swapping those out for physical moves?
Regardless, I'm looking forward to trying this out.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I'd like to see the following things:

-Make Charjabug evolve into Vikavolt by level, and give Vikavolt more Speed
-Make Salandit evolve regardless of gender
-Make Incineroar learn Fire Punch by level
-Make the Stufful line learn Play Rough
-Give the Wimpod line a second ability. Maybe Swift Swim?
-Give Arbok Merciless
-Give Snorlax Comatose
-Give Jynx Tangling Hair
-Give Swalot Corrosion
-Give Vespiquen and maybe Nidoqueen Queenly Majesty
-Give Mega Gengar Cursed Body instead of Shadow Tag
-Give Mega Lucario Aura Break
-Swap Pyroar's Attack and Special Attack stats
-Give the ability Long Reach to more Pokemon, like Seviper or Mega Gallade
-Give the ability Soul-Heart to more Pokemon

blue

gucci
Years
Been keeping an eye on this over Twitter for the past few days and it's looking great so far! Looking forward to seeing more updates.

One thing I'd recommend is maybe making Jangmo-o available on the first island or second island. Since you can currently only catch one far into the fourth island, it's almost towards the end of the game making it kinda pointless to use at that stage imo.

Last edited:

Kobazco

Gex Fan
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 21, 2023
Oh just noticed this was approved. I'll keep you guys up to date as much as possible like I do with the gbatempt page! Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'll look at them more in depth when I get home. Also, the encounter data document is outdated! Jangmo-o can be caught in ten carret hill farthest hallow btw

curiters

Oblivious - prevents me from being afflicted by in
Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2017
OMG such a great one!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 26, 2017
Help, I'm using HANS to do this, and when I load the game, it just goes back to Homebrew. Am I doing something wrong?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 7, 2018
Gladion is literally Owain from Fire Emblem now.

I'm sold. The other changes are just gravy compared to this. I hope you've been voting in the Fire Emblem Heroes poll?

on-topic, it's pretty crazy we're already hacking this game. I will never understand why gym leaders and even E4 members have less than 6 pokemon in the vanilla games, it makes no sense in-universe that they wouldn't have the max amount (even if their pokemon were lower level to compensate). I also like the level curve change a lot. I'm watching this closely (and probably installing homebrew just to try it)

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Aug 21, 2019
ok can i do this on a O3ds XL? if so how
Im haveing issues dumping my gamebtw

Kobazco

Gex Fan
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 21, 2023
Oh my. Sorry about NEVER updating this when this is one of the few websites that allows me to post the files lol. Anyways, I've updated the main post to finally be up to date and include download links, etc.

Also I'm gonna be doing a Ultra Sun/Moon hack very much like this one, so look forward to it.

Back