• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] The Arcade: Retro Games Showdown! [OVER - Final Standings Updated!]

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024

Hope you're ready for a nostalgia trip, because we're going to be playing some old school arcade games together! Fight for the top of the leaderboards this month in the games below.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE

All you have to do to join is post screenshots of your top score!
    There's no limit to how many scores you may submit during this event.

You don't have to play all three games to participate; feel free to play as many or as few as you want.

There are many online flash versions of each game, but for consistency's sake, please use either the ones in the link provided, or MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) versions of the games.​

THE ARCADE

Space Invaders
    Pac-Man
    Tetris

The following screenshots are what you should be submitting for their respective games.​
    Spoiler:

Note: In Space Invaders, if you hit "OK" after typing your name, it actually won't display your score anymore, so post the screen shown in the image above.

Note: In Pac Man, there is only a short amount of where the Game Over screen (and your score) will be displayed! I tried to find a version of the game that didn't automatically return to the menu after you lose but couldn't, so just make sure you quickly grab the screenshot before it goes away.

This event will wrap up on June 11, 2017 - you have until then to submit your scores. The leaderboards will be displayed in the post below - good luck and have fun!​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024

SPACE INVADERS
    1. LegendChu - 66,230
    2. Nero - 57,200
    3. OtaKun - 54,530
    4. Mewtwolover - 18,230
    5. Coffee - 17,880
    6. Raffy98 - 9,760
    PAC-MAN
    1. LegendChu - 110,400
    2. Satoshi Ookami - 29,990
    3. Mewtwolover - 17,720
    TETRIS
    1. LegendChu - 518,825
    2. Mawa - 514,817
    3. Juno - 459,006
    4. Hands - 90,885
    5. Mewtwolover - 27,241

Last edited:

Coffee

Banned
    Years
  • Space Invaders: 17,880
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I'll be participating too, and mostly playing Tetris - it's one of my favorite classics. :)

Tetris: 178, 710
    Spoiler:

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • I am against flash player, may I use a MAME version instead? It'll be more accurate to the orginal also ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I am against flash player, may I use a MAME version instead? It'll be more accurate to the orginal also ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Just took a look at MAME and I don't disagree that the ROMs are more accurate, but just so everyone is consistent I'd prefer it if we all used the same version of the game, in case there are any slight differences between versions that could affect scoring. I know the flash sites were not the best choices, but I just wanted to go with something everyone could access with relative ease and not download anything they wouldn't have already.

In future similar events, I'll definitely consider using MAME instead though, it is definitely a lot more accurate to the original games, as you said. :)

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Pacman: 9140
    Spoiler:

Space Invaders: 17 610
    Spoiler:

Tetris: 27 241
    Spoiler:

Juno said:
    Just took a look at MAME and I don't disagree that the ROMs are more accurate, but just so everyone is consistent I'd prefer it if we all used the same version of the game, in case there are any slight differences between versions that could affect scoring. I know the flash sites were not the best choices, but I just wanted to go with something everyone could access with relative ease and not download anything they wouldn't have already.

In future similar events, I'll definitely consider using MAME instead though, it is definitely a lot more accurate to the original games, as you said.
    I understand that there can be slight differences between versions but since the winners won't get any prizes (e.g. emblems), allowing MAME versions shouldn't be a problem. Anyway I hope that this is the last arcade event in PC where Flash player is needed because its time is simply passed, there's even movement to rid the world of the Flash Player plugin: http://www.occupyflash.org/

That Tetris is really bad, it doesn't work in Firefox if you have adblock and NoScript add-ons because it shows video ad before the game starts. Asking to play a flash game like that which requires the user to lower their computer's security measures (NoScript is highly recommended add-on for security reasons) is plain wrong so you should replace it with another one or at least allow the MAME version of Tetris.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I understand that there can be slight differences between versions but since the winners won't get any prizes (e.g. emblems), allowing MAME versions shouldn't be a problem. Anyway I hope that this is the last arcade event in PC where Flash player is needed because its time is simply passed, there's even movement to rid the world of the Flash Player plugin: http://www.occupyflash.org/

That Tetris is really bad, it doesn't work in Firefox if you have adblock and NoScript add-ons because it shows video ad before the game starts. Asking to play a flash game like that which requires the user to lower their computer's security measures (NoScript is highly recommended add-on for security reasons) is plain wrong so you should replace it with another one or at least allow the MAME version of Tetris.
    That's true, since this is all just for fun and I doubt any scoring differences will be too huge - if you guys would prefer using MAME ROMs, I'm cool with that too.
    I am against flash player, may I use a MAME version instead? It'll be more accurate to the orginal also ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Pinging you to let you know, if you still want to participate with MAME. :)

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • That's true, since this is all just for fun and I doubt any scoring differences will be too huge - if you guys would prefer using MAME ROMs, I'm cool with that too.
    Good, I recommend to mention that in the opening post as well so people will notice it better and there wont be any misunderstandings.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    ezimba15228932990000.png

Scratch that weak prior score of mine

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Competition's heating up! Scores have been updated. Still the reigning Tetris champ though. >: )

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Competition's heating up! Scores have been updated. Still the reigning Tetris champ though. >: )

Catching up, i'm at 90,885! Gonna be on 120,000 by lunch time haha

Back