• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That Pokémon looks special!

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    When was the first time ever you saw a Shiny in-game? Did you know about their existance? What did you do?

I was playing Crystal, dashing through Route 1, when I first encountered a Shiny Hoothoot. It had glowing stars and a weird colour so I caught it. I kept him in my team for so long, but I had no idea what it was. It's years later, in Diamond, that I finally saw the term "Shiny Pokémon".

Last edited:

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    My friends had encountered shinies way earlier than I did so I was just anticipating the appearance of one in my own games for a long time. I encountered my first shiny in the Great Marsh, where I was actually for another Pokémon, and I jumped back when I suddenly saw this Marill being green! I was very stressed about it running away so I just kept chugging balls at it and it worked, thank god. Now I have a shiny Azumarill.

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    My friends had encountered shinies way earlier than I did so I was just anticipating the appearance of one in my own games for a long time. I encountered my first shiny in the Great Marsh, where I was actually for another Pokémon, and I jumped back when I suddenly saw this Marill being green! I was very stressed about it running away so I just kept chugging balls at it and it worked, thank god. Now I have a shiny Azumarill.

Aaaa that must have been so stressful! Shiny Azumarill in a Safari Ball looks awesome, however, congrats! The same thing kinda happened to me a few months ago, I was in the Great Marsh and I thought "wouldn't it be awful to run into a Shiny there". Then a Shiny Psyduck spawned. :|
    I manage to catch it too, I can't imagine how bad you must feel if it flees ;^;

Years
  • It's tough to recall, but my first shiny encounter was a Whismur in Emerald, I remember having no idea what it was and got worried my game was ruined. However after quickly researching shinies on the internet, I immediately caught it :)

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Aaaa that must have been so stressful! Shiny Azumarill in a Safari Ball looks awesome, however, congrats! The same thing kinda happened to me a few months ago, I was in the Great Marsh and I thought "wouldn't it be awful to run into a Shiny there". Then a Shiny Psyduck spawned. :|
    I manage to catch it too, I can't imagine how bad you must feel if it flees ;^;
    Haha glad you got yours too! It is indeed a stressful experience. I had a similar experience a while ago. I was training my Pokémon in Silver on the route before Victory Road and I just thought "I have the feeling a shiny will appear in a bit", and then - tada! A shiny Raticate. At least random wild encounters can't run away but it's still stressful. xD

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • As far as I can remember, the first Shiny I encountered was a Shiny Skitty in Emerald. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to catch it, ended up one-shotting it ;-;.

Pika Pika :chu:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • When was the first time ever you saw a Shiny in-game? Did you know about their existance? What did you do?
    My first shiny was the Red Gyarados in Pokémon Gold. That's all there is to the story, really.
    Some time later I found out that it was a Shiny Pokémon which led me to read about them.

I don't remember right now which exactly was my first Wild Shiny though.
    I think it was a Shiny Abra in SoulSilver (Route 35) or a Shiny Tentacool in Ruby (Route 119)

Graine

It looks at you and casts Mind Blast.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    Shiny Hoppip in Gold. Didn't know what a shiny was and I killed it for exp. To this day, it is the only shiny I have ever encountered. I'm not even mad.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    My first one was the red Gyarados like a lot of other players. My real first shiny was a shiny Remoraid I managed to hatch.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • My first Shiny was a random Golett in X. It was darker than a regular Golett and had glowing Green eyes. Now a Level 100 Golurk (Which is also an excellent Shiny).

Years
  • Mine was a female Duskull in Ruby. I had heard of shiny Pokemon prior to catching her, but I never thought I'd one day eventually get one of my own.

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    Haha glad you got yours too! It is indeed a stressful experience. I had a similar experience a while ago. I was training my Pokémon in Silver on the route before Victory Road and I just thought "I have the feeling a shiny will appear in a bit", and then - tada! A shiny Raticate. At least random wild encounters can't run away but it's still stressful. xD
    Haha I get you, I encountered a Shiny Delibird in HGSS, and tried to put it to sleep. It didn't work (because of its ability iirc). Then I remembered Delibird in Gen 2 would just attack once, then flee. So I flinged my Master Ball at her lol.
    My first shiny was the Red Gyarados in Pokémon Gold. That's all there is to the story, really.
    Some time later I found out that it was a Shiny Pokémon which led me to read about them.

I don't remember right now which exactly was my first Wild Shiny though.
    I think it was a Shiny Abra in SoulSilver (Route 35) or a Shiny Tentacool in Ruby (Route 119)
    Ooooh, did Abra Teleport or did you manage to catch it?
    Shiny Hoppip in Gold. Didn't know what a shiny was and I killed it for exp. To this day, it is the only shiny I have ever encountered. I'm not even mad.
    Not mad, right. iirc you told me you thought it was like, a "Boss" Pokémon that would give more exp...
    My first one was the red Gyarados like a lot of other players. My real first shiny was a shiny Remoraid I managed to hatch.
    Did you know about Shinies for your Remoraid or you thought, like me, that Gyarados was just unique?
    My first Shiny was a random Golett in X. It was darker than a regular Golett and had glowing Green eyes. Now a Level 100 Golurk (Which is also an excellent Shiny).
    Did you know about Shinies? Or did you think "Ooh, cool colours!" Like I did? :P

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Did you know about Shinies? Or did you think "Ooh, cool colours!" Like I did? :P

I knew what Shinys were but had never encountered one before. I did not know what Golett's Shiny looked like and it took me a moment to notice that the green eyed Automaton was Shiny. Luckily I had several Great Balls to catch it with.

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I knew what Shinys were but had never encountered one before. I did not know what Golett's Shiny looked like and it took me a moment to notice that the green eyed Automaton was Shiny. Luckily I had several Great Balls to catch it with.

Oh, that's another thing that I fear, not having Pokéballs or PC space. I saw a Shiny hunter on YT that couldn't catch the Shiny he was hunting for hours because his PC was full x_x

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Oh, that's another thing that I fear, not having Pokéballs or PC space. I saw a Shiny hunter on YT that couldn't catch the Shiny he was hunting for hours because his PC was full x_x

The PC being full has to be the unluckiest way to fail a Shiny. I have been lucky with my only Shiny fail being an Electrode exploding on me in X.

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    The PC being full has to be the unluckiest way to fail a Shiny. I have been lucky with my only Shiny fail being an Electrode exploding on me in X.

Oh, I had a Graveler did this to be too ;^; I always dread going into Safari Zones and the Great Marsh because I don't want to see a Shiny escaping lol

Years
  • The PC being full has to be the unluckiest way to fail a Shiny. I have been lucky with my only Shiny fail being an Electrode exploding on me in X.

This is so unlike me who's had luck with exploding shinies. In both Diamond and Soul Silver I caught a shiny Graveler, at an area I recall them having Self-Destruct or something. Such a shock that I successfully caught them.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • My first shiny was a Spearow in Leaf Green when I was grinding to take on Misty's gym. I knew it was shiny so I got excited and I caught it to later add it on my team (I did have another Spearow but it got replaced). Unfortunately, I no longer have it because my Diamond cart corrupted.

Luckily, I did manage to find a shiny Herdier in White while I was training my Horsea. It's still with me and is chilling in Pokemon Bank. :)

Back