• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cuphead - Game Discussion Thread

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years

• Has anyone had a chance to pick up this gem yet? What are people's thoughts on this Xbox exclusive that just recently - and finally - released?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Was it Xbox exclusive? This game's been blowing up on Steam and YouTube and I've been wondering what the hype is all about! The style is reminiscent of that Bendy horror game from a while back, I wonder if this is the new trend, lol. I don't know much about this game at all, just that it's been appearing everywhere and people are loving it.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Was it Xbox exclusive? This game's been blowing up on Steam and YouTube and I've been wondering what the hype is all about! The style is reminiscent of that Bendy horror game from a while back, I wonder if this is the new trend, lol. I don't know much about this game at all, just that it's been appearing everywhere and people are loving it.

It's an Xbox "exclusive", but you can play it on Windows 10 as well if you don't have an Xbox. It's been hyped up for the past few years mainly because the game was made through watercolor painting, and the style/aesthetics of t is considered a breath of fresh air. I've been avoiding LP'ers like crazy just because I want to play the game myself without any spoilers. Never played that's Bendy Ink Machine game either, but I know that got pretty big as well from YouTube - what was the premise of that game?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    It's an Xbox "exclusive", but you can play it on Windows 10 as well if you don't have an Xbox. It's been hyped up for the past few years mainly because the game was made through watercolor painting, and the style/aesthetics of t is considered a breath of fresh air. I've been avoiding LP'ers like crazy just because I want to play the game myself without any spoilers. Never played that's Bendy Ink Machine game either, but I know that got pretty big as well from YouTube - what was the premise of that game?
    Yeah, I've always loved games with unique aesthetics and the visuals here definitely caught my attention. I don't know too much about Bendy either, but I believe it's about an animator who began practicing in the occult, and brought his animated characters to life, who become monsters that attack the player? Something like that, seems pretty interesting.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I heard about this, not really my style of game but I might consider picking it up someday.

Graine

It looks at you and casts Mind Blast.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    platforming bullet hells (I think that's how you'd describe it?)
    Run and Gun would be the correct term. Like Contra, Alien Hominid, Metal Slug, etc...

Man this game has been on my radar for sooooo long and now that it's finally out, I don't have the time to play. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up in a couple weeks. I can't wait to play it lol.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • I like the visuals and style of this game, pretty intrigued by it. Might actually pick it up when the right time comes.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I have to say I've heard that this game is getting a bit overhyped because of the oldtyme-y cartoon art style.

Does it actually do anything for the genre (not that I am a fan of the genre to begin with) or is that it's only claim to fame?

And no I'm not trying to be an ass, legitimate question.

Years
  • The game is super hard but, awesome at the same time. Overhyped? Maybe a little but it's unique enough to deserve some of the hype. Honestly wish this was a bit easier in some areas.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Why do you think the game was overhyped?

????????????????????????

I have to say I've heard that this game is getting a bit overhyped because of the oldtyme-y cartoon art style.

Does it actually do anything for the genre (not that I am a fan of the genre to begin with) or is that it's only claim to fame?

And no I'm not trying to be an ass, legitimate question.

tldr: People seem to be hyped for the game only because of the 50s cartoon style and that it is a retro genre.

Of course my question there still stands too.

Graine

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    Well, Cuphead sold over a million copies in 2 weeks. Reviews are overwhelmingly positive on steam and it scored an 89 on metacritic.

If the game was overhyped, we would know it by now. Cuphead is a good game and it deserves all the hype it's recieving. Plus, it's $20.

Years
  • Well, Cuphead sold over a million copies in 2 weeks. Reviews are overwhelmingly positive on steam and it scored an 89 on metacritic.

If the game was overhyped, we would know it by now. Cuphead is a good game and it deserves all the hype it's recieving. Plus, it's $20.

Good sales in first few weeks =/= flawless and not overhyped game. If anything selling well is the symptom of being overhyped, people see the game talked a lot and praised, so they buy it themselves.

I wrote a little too much so I'm just going to spoiler the below.
    Spoiler:

As for Cuphead, I haven't played it yet, it definitely looks like a game I would play but I have many many other games on my radar right now. But for me it definitely feels overhyped as well. I just don't see why so many people would like a game like this (retro graphics aside). Difficult games are usually niche, unlikable and die off instantly with not much success. If Cuphead is different just because of the graphics then I'm honestly just disappointed in everybody.

Last edited:

Graine

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    Good sales in first few weeks =/= flawless and not overhyped game.
    You are 100% right. Never have I said that good sales = good game. What I meant is with those sale figures, we would know it by now if the game was overhyped. It would show in the critics and user reviews of the game. No Man's Sky is probably the best (though overused) modern example of an overhyped game. Huge innitial sales, yet it only took a week for the critics and users to realize that the game was shit. I somewhat enjoyed it, but that's a story for another thread lol. I think that for a game to be deemed overhyped, we need to have a general agreement that the game doesn't live up to its promises. I haven't seen that with Cuphead yet. The next two weeks could very well prove me wrong but honestly, I don't see that happening.

Cuphead is not a flawless game. It has its flaws, and I can see why people may think that making the game as hard as it is is a cheap and dirty attempt at adding replayability. However, nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking isn't a good thing. Overanalyzing either. From what I've seen, despite its flaws, Cuphead has delivered on every promises the devs have made. Play the game for what it is, see if you like it or not. But in the end, disliking a game doesn't mean it's overhyped, just like liking a game doesn't mean it's not.

Back