• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Inserting Higher Quality Music Into Fire Red

Skeli

Lord of the Rings
Years
  • Introduction

Hello everyone! This is my first tutorial so I hope it's easy to understand.
    I'm writing this tutorial based on another thread I read the other day by ipatix for his High Quality Sound Mixer. It didn't seem so clear to me as it was meant to be a development post rather than a tutorial, so I thought I'd make it easier for everyone in the future.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]PLEASE NOTE: The offsets provided in this tutorial, only apply to an English Fire Red (BPRE). If you want offsets for an English or German Fire Red, Leaf Green, or Emerald, they are all in the original post.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

[S-HIGHLIGHT]WARNING: If you assemble this code, be aware that any previously saved states will no longer be openable in your Rom. Only in-game saves will be still be functionable.

Also make sure to disable the help menu by changing the button mode from 'help' to to 'LR' in the options, or the game will freeze. Another way to do this is by placing 1D E0 at 0x13B8C2.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

I'm not allowed to post an actual link yet, but you can follow this to the original thread by ipatix: pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=324673

Requirements
    You will need the following:
    - A Hex Editor (preferably HxD)
    - Visual Boy Advance
    - A Basic Understanding of Hex Editing

Actual Tutorial

Step 1:
    Spoiler:

Step 2:
    Spoiler:

Step 3:
    Spoiler:

Step 4:
    Spoiler:

Step 5:
    Spoiler:

If you followed all these steps correctly, any new music you import into your Rom should be much higher quality with a lot less background noise (unless I made a mistake somewhere in the tutorial and then your Rom either won't open at all, or won't play music).

Again, I take zero credit for any of this. It all goes to ipatix for his amazing ASM code which I just assembled and put in step 1.

I hope this was useful and easy to understand!
    Please let me know if there is anything I can improve on for next time.

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
    Years
  • Hey, just wanted to let you know that a bunch of this tutorial is superfluous. You can't insert anything permanent in the memory editor, it'll get cleared once VBA closes. Not sure about how the rest of the tutorial is because I don't personally need this myself but I just thought I should let you know.

Skeli

Lord of the Rings
    Years
  • Hey, just wanted to let you know that a bunch of this tutorial is superfluous. You can't insert anything permanent in the memory editor, it'll get cleared once VBA closes. Not sure about how the rest of the tutorial is because I don't personally need this myself but I just thought I should let you know.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm sure you know more about this than I do since I only recently discovered Ram editing, but if what you're saying is true, this Tutorial still should work because of the repointing. The sound area is still repointed to a new, free location, the mixer is still repointed, and the new mixer placed in the Rom with the hex editor still replaces the old one. So the sound quality should still increase if you followed the repointing steps right.

Back