• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    Update for Pokemon White:

Then gave up challenge as too much temptation from other Pokemon that needed evolving to complete Pokedex such as Solosis and Tirtouga. Sorry guys :(

This makes me sad :( Out of all of the challenges I've done liek 4 this one has got to be my favorite. And no, this post isn't just an unholy bump... Oh! I have epilouge! I'm about to run through the elite four again with my main team, all level 53. I looked at my map and also realized that I've not done Pacifiladog >_< That should be next. I've been thinking about doing this challenge again. Definate Poke's would be Panphy, Girafarig, and Cancea if I do gen III (highly unlikely). I think I'm on a safari zone binge... Oh well.

To everyone reading this: Do this challenge!

Also, Sammu, are you planning on starting your second run anytime soon :)

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Thanks for the testimonial -Cygnus- :) free advertisement... always a good thing.

I will be starting my second run soon, yes. I made the mistake of getting really involved with my 3rd Nuzlocke run in the meantime, and between that and general life responsibilities (who knew getting a law traineeship would be so dang hard) it's taken a while to get going. The Pokemon are all bred and ready to go, just waiting for me to trade them across to a new SS file - it's just a matter of waiting till I finish my current Nuzlocke, because running two challenges at once is more than my poor brain can handle. I am currently training for the E4 in that challenge though, so hopefully it won't be too long.

Don't worry though, I've not forgotten! I removed Hacki101 from the Challengers list (shame - come back and try again soon!) and I look forward to reading your final impressions, -Cygnus-.

Hacki101

I use too many smileys.... :P
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2014
    I am still challenging on Hard Gold though! I have lost to Whitney like 10 times but am getting close to beating her! I just havn't had time to play recently as I have been trying to get a job.

I actually really enjoy this challenge- it deserves more love but I was gonna have to do the evolving for the Pokedex and I am using Pokemon I have never used before I was kind of doing the challenge!

So could I be re-added to the challengers list for Hard Gold?

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I am still challenging on Hard Gold though! I have lost to Whitney like 10 times but am getting close to beating her! I just havn't had time to play recently as I have been trying to get a job.

I actually really enjoy this challenge- it deserves more love but I was gonna have to do the evolving for the Pokedex and I am using Pokemon I have never used before I was kind of doing the challenge!

So could I be re-added to the challengers list for Hard Gold?

Apologies, I've re-added you. I did wonder why you were updating on White when you were listed on HG...

I like the looks of your new Challenge by the way. Looks nice and tough, kinda like a twisted Nuzlocke. I'll definitely be looking to give it a go at some point.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • Name: Clair
    Game: Platinum
    List of Pokemon that got away:
    Spoiler:

Number required: 6
    Any specific requirements: Just a little diversity in types is all.

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2016
    Clairissa take this team:

Altaria
    Kabutops
    Claydol
    Magmortar
    Skunktank
    Luxray

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Name: Clair
    Spoiler:

Number required: 6
    Any specific requirements: Just a little diversity in types is all.

Try it with Starmie, Claydol, Camerupt, Altaria, Skuntank and Skarmory. I've added you to the Challengers list, so enjoy!

EDIT: Ninja'd. We both gave you Claydol, Skuntank and Altaria though, so definitely use those three - I'll let you choose 3 from the remaining 6 though, so 3 from Starmie, Luxray, Magmortar, Camerupt, Skarmory and Kabutops.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • Try it with Starmie, Claydol, Camerupt, Altaria, Skuntank and Skarmory. I've added you to the Challengers list, so enjoy!

EDIT: Ninja'd. We both gave you Claydol, Skuntank and Altaria though, so definitely use those three - I'll let you choose 3 from the remaining 6 though, so 3 from Starmie, Luxray, Magmortar, Camerupt, Skarmory and Kabutops.

Heh, well, guess it'll be Skuntank, Claydol, Altaria, Starmie, Magmortar and Luxray =p

Hacki101

I use too many smileys.... :P
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2014
    Apologies, I've re-added you. I did wonder why you were updating on White when you were listed on HG...

I like the looks of your new Challenge by the way. Looks nice and tough, kinda like a twisted Nuzlocke. I'll definitely be looking to give it a go at some point.

Thank you! It is harder than I thought it would be and it is interesting to see which Pokemon people choose.

Heh, well, guess it'll be Skuntank, Claydol, Altaria, Starmie, Magmortar and Luxray =p

That is a very strong team! Good luck :)

EDIT: I beat Whitney at like the 14th time trying!!

Drifloon sent out against Clefable as he completely walls him and Whitney uses her only Super Potion on it.
    Whitney sends out Togetic I send out Spoink.
    Spoink uses Confuse ray
    Togetic hurt itself in confusion!
    I switch in Remoraid as Togetic hurts itself in confusion
    Remoraid uses Aurora Beam, Togetic hurts itself in confusion AGAIN :D
    Remoraid uses Aurora Beam Togetic survives on about 3 HP. Togetic uses Magical Leaf, Remoraid fainted.
    Send in Drifloon for Speed reasons and kills off Togetic.
    Keep in Drifloon to lock Miltank into Rollout.
    Switch in Cubone, Miltank uses Attract :(
    Switch in Drifloon, Miltank uses Body Slam, it doesn't effect Drifloon
    Switch in Cubone, Miltank uses Rollout :D (not very effective)
    Rollout, Tail Whip
    Rollout, Tail Whip
    Rollout, Dig (to stop rollout)
    Switch in Drifloon, Body Slam
    Super Potion Cubone, Attract :)
    Switch in Cubone, Rollout
    Rollout, Tail Whip x2
    Rollout crits :O Cubone faints
    Spoink sent in to confuse/fodder, faints
    Drifloon sent in to fodder, rollout misses (bad thing as rollout will start again now)
    Switch in Teddiursa w. Silk Scarf from Voltorb Flip, Rollout
    Rollout, Headbutt FOR THE WIN!!

That concludes a very very hard gym battle which needed the most strategy I have ever needed on Pokemon games :)

Team: (No impressions beacuse I havn't done a lot since last time)
    Drifloon Lv 26: Gust, Payback, Astonish, Cut
    Cubone Lv 21: Dig, Headbutt, Tail Whip, Focus Energy
    Remoraid Lv 21: Bubblebeam, Aurora Beam, Bullet Seed, Psybeam
    Spoink Lv. 23: Psybeam, Flash, Confuse Ray, Payback
    Teddiursa Lv. 22: Headbutt, Fake Tears, Rock Tomb, Taunt
    Numel Lv.21: Earthquake, Ember, Rock Slide, Take Down

Last edited:

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • Ok, first update:
    Name: Clair
    Rival: Jun
    Picked Chimchar as starter (Barry/Jun/Pearl has Empoleon in just about every form of media anyway) and beat him.
    Got my pokedex and eventually some pokeballs, and after my 219318th lesson on how to capture pokemon, got some random ones to trade to my other game for some eggs of the rest of my team (once I can trade that is), along with a female Shinx, nicknamed Elesa (I suck at nicknames, but I like Elesa).
    Trained my Shinx up to level 10 while on my way to Jubilife, where I get my Poketch and defeat my rival once again.
    On my way to Oreburgh, Elesa evolves! Finally able to trade as well! Then I traded over and hatched my eggs, and started the task of grinding them all to level 15... *Phew* took awhile...
    Going to take a break... My team is now:
    Spr_4p_404_f.png

Elesa (Luxio), female, modest, level 15
    Spr_4p_434.png

Stunky, female, adamant, level 15
    Spr_4d_343.png

Baltoy, serious, level 15
    Spr_4p_333.png

Swablu, female, adamant, level 15
    Spr_4d_120.png

Staryu, modest, level 15
    Spr_4p_240.png

Magby, female, modest, level 15

If anyone has any nickname ideas, lemme know =o

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Arghh... I can't remember how long it's been since I signed up for this challenge, but I finally got it started.

I have 2/5 Pokemon so far.

dpmfa164.png

Noctowl-Lv22-Bold
    Confusion
    Reflect
    Hypnosis
    Peck

dpmfa391.png

Monferno-Lv23-Naughty
    Flame Wheel
    Ember
    Mach Punch
    Taunt

Have 2 gym badges so far, not much has happened yet.

Hoothoot was a pain to train at first though.

Fire Walker

The Wanderer
    Years
  • Name: Fire Walker / Amy
    Game: Red / Silver / Emerald / Diamond / SoulSilver
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Number required: 4 for each game, preferably different but not required
    Any specific requirements: 2 HM Slaves of my choice?

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    Alright, here are my late final team impressions! I'm going to go ahead and use their current levels, since I can't think of a better representation...

The Individual Profiles:
    Spoiler:

The Awards:
    Spoiler:

There you have it, folks. I had a lot of fun with this challenge. It really helped open my eyes to Pokemon I would've never used before. Thanks to Sammu for creating this, and good luck to all you challengers!

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2016
    FireWalker you want one for each game? I assume you can trade for pokemon not normally found in-game (if not just let me know, i'll change it)

Red:
    Omastar
    Hitmonlee
    Flareon
    Nidoqueen

Silver
    Jolteon
    Kingdra
    Skarmory
    Tyranitar

Emerald
    Exploud
    Cacturne
    Banette
    Gorebyss

Diamond
    Honchkrow
    Toxicroak
    Leafeon
    Golduck

Soulsilver
    Kabutops
    Yanmega
    Steelix
    Absol

As for my challenge (if anyone was wondering at all) I can finally resume it at the end of this week, yay for semester break \o/

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Good to read your impressions -Cygnus-, and I'm glad Dewgong ended up improving enough to not be considered your worst Pokemon! I also really liked your awards, which has inspired me to ask a question of the regular (or irregular) posters on this thread.

On the original post in this thread, under the rules, I'm going to put a little section of example awards for people's post-Challenge impressions roundup. So, could any of you suggest an award you'd like to see people giving to their Got Away Pokemon? Clearly awards like MVP and LVP are standard, but I was thinking of the less normal ones, like -Cygnus-'s "One Trick Pony" Award, and the like.

Stick it in this thread or PM me, either works for me.

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    After several attempts to restart Platinum which have all failed due to the team being boring, I'll give this challenge a try.

Name: Cathar
    Spoiler:

Number required: 5 (but you can pick 6 and I'll either eliminate one or use one as an HM Slave)
    Any specific requirements: One should be able to learn Surf, not more than two of the same type, otherwise go crazy ^^
    I'll probably hack in the first two before the first gym and if I can't get the rest before the third, I'll hack them all in between first and third gym. Is that okay?

Cheers,
    Peter

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • After several attempts to restart Platinum which have all failed due to the team being boring, I'll give this challenge a try.

Name: Cathar
    Scyther, Electrode, Houndoom, Abomasnow, Salamence, Floatzel
    Number required: 5 (but you can pick 6 and I'll either eliminate one or use one as an HM Slave)
    Any specific requirements: One should be able to learn Surf, not more than two of the same type, otherwise go crazy ^^
    I'll probably hack in the first two before the first gym and if I can't get the rest before the third, I'll hack them all in between first and third gym. Is that okay?

Cheers,
    Peter

Whichever one you wanna dump/use as an HM slave is up to you =p

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016

Yeah that's cool. Take the team Clairissa assigned you - I like people to get their teams as soon as they can so they get a full impression of each team member, and hacking is often the easiest way of doing that.

I've added you to the Challengers list, enjoy!

thenickel09

Lurker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Name: TheNickel09
    Game: Either Ruby or Emerald
    List of Pokemon that Got Away:
    Spoiler:

# Of Required Pokemon: 5

I'll be hacking in all the Pokemon in their baby form ASAP.

Last edited:

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    @thenickel09: Take: Aggron, Nidoqueen, Starmie, Noctowl and Hariyama. That's 2 of those you really wanted and you can always take Rhydon as the sixth ^^

Does that work?

And I'll be editing this post later, I'm currently hacking in my first three Pokémon

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back