• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2015
Update time! It's been a while since I played the file, but I believe I had just beaten Norman...

Spoiler:

There ya have it folks. If anyone's reading, please don't hesitate to give movepool suggestions for the Pokemon in the update. Right now, my biggest quandary is whether to teach Earthquake to Tauros or Magmar.

Blissy, I love how you have 7 badges and a bunch of level 20's :P

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Nice update -Cygnus-.

Regarding Aerial Ace, yes it's a better move than Fly because over 2 turns it can do 120BP worth of damage, whereas Fly only does 90 and occasionally misses. It's completely a judgement call though; occasionally you may come across a 'mon that Fly would OHKO whereas one Aerial Ace will leave it in the red, leading to an annoying Full Restore from the opponent trainer... But most of the time I'd suggest Aerial Ace. Fly is a good move in-game, as AI trainers don't tend to counter it with stat boosts or healing in the free turn. But Aerial Ace is better all round, and as you only have 4 team Pokemon, I don't see why you couldn't just stick it on an HM slave.

As for Earthquake... Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Magmar doesn't get EQ in Gen III, if at all. If you're really concerned about giving Magmar a move to cover his weakness to Rock Pokemon, give him Brick Break. It's a really good move and it allows Tauros to take Earthquake which will help him against a wider variety of foes - Rock and Steel types he can't do much damage to, and possibly Ghost types he might not hit otherwise. Plus, Tauros can't learn Brick Break.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Blissy's The Ones Who Got Away Challenge! - Silver Version!
Chapter 12: Team Rocket's 'rockin - Part 2 (Will edit)

Ok...back to Mahogany, where the sispisous building is where those wierd guys are. Let's go inside the place. Looks like Lance is interigating them already. The signal is coming from the wierd building! Let's destroy Team Rocket! Hmmm...Persian statues. Looks like they're secret alarms to bring out Team Rocket grunts. Fine. I guess two grunts appear per alarm, so I can battle these guys for training. This...is gonna take a while.

A while later...

Done! Furry's poisoned, but he'll need to rough it out...for now.​

This concludes this chapter of my The Ones Who Got Away Challenge.
Blissy's Army:

Spr_2s_153.png

Petal (Bayleef) Lv. 25
Moves: Headbutt, Poisonpowder, Razor Leaf, Synthesis
Spr_2s_162.png

Furry (Furret) Lv. 22
Moves: Cut, Surf, Mud-Slap, Fire Punch

Spr_2s_093.png

Spooky (Haunter) Lv. 26
Moves: Shadow Ball, Hypnosis, Curse, Nightmare
Spr_2s_180.png

Shiek (Flaaffy) Lv. 25
Moves: Fire Punch, Thunder Wave, Thundershock, Thunderpunch
Spr_2s_213.png

Shuckie (Shuckle) Lv. 22
Moves: Constrict, Strength, Wrap, Encore

Badges Obtained

pokemon_badges-zephyrBadge.gif
pokemon_badges-hiveBadge.gif
70px-Plain_Badge.png
Fog_Badge.png
Storm_Badge.png
Mineral_Badge.png

Last edited:

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2015
Nice update -Cygnus-.

Regarding Aerial Ace, yes it's a better move than Fly because over 2 turns it can do 120BP worth of damage, whereas Fly only does 90 and occasionally misses. It's completely a judgement call though; occasionally you may come across a 'mon that Fly would OHKO whereas one Aerial Ace will leave it in the red, leading to an annoying Full Restore from the opponent trainer... But most of the time I'd suggest Aerial Ace. Fly is a good move in-game, as AI trainers don't tend to counter it with stat boosts or healing in the free turn. But Aerial Ace is better all round, and as you only have 4 team Pokemon, I don't see why you couldn't just stick it on an HM slave.

As for Earthquake... Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Magmar doesn't get EQ in Gen III, if at all. If you're really concerned about giving Magmar a move to cover his weakness to Rock Pokemon, give him Brick Break. It's a really good move and it allows Tauros to take Earthquake which will help him against a wider variety of foes - Rock and Steel types he can't do much damage to, and possibly Ghost types he might not hit otherwise. Plus, Tauros can't learn Brick Break.

Oops haha Magmar doesn't learn it >_< Yeah, I believe I get brick break in Sootopolis? EQ is definately going on Tauros then, as he has the best ATK by far. I also think that I'll keep Fly on my Hm-Slave Tropius, and stick with Aerial Ace for Xatu. Peck is realllly lame. Thanks for the help!

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Update time! It's been a while since I played the file, but I believe I had just beaten Norman...

Spoiler:

There ya have it folks. If anyone's reading, please don't hesitate to give movepool suggestions for the Pokemon in the update. Right now, my biggest quandary is whether to teach Earthquake to Tauros or Magmar.

Blissy, I love how you have 7 badges and a bunch of level 20's :P
........I get lucky. I somehow beat the gym leaders while underleveled.

I hope that answered your question.

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2015
This thread needs some love! I believe that this will be my third to last update. I've gotten all eight badges and am gearing up for victory road.

Spoiler:

Well, my next update will be VR, the final team, and then my quest against the elite four as the last update in this challenge :) Once again, movepool suggestions if you like, but I think what I really need it higher levels. Thanks for reading!

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Glad to see an update -Cygnus- :)

If I remember correctly, the Psychic TM is in Mauville City... I may be wrong about that buy I think that's where Mr. Psychic's house it. Next to the Pokemon Centre methinks...

As for movesets, I think you've pretty much got everything covered. I'd suggest giving one of your Pokemon Safeguard though, as I mentioned via PM, and Toxic's always a useful move, but I think you'll be fine with a few extra levels on each Poke.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Chapter 13: Team Rocket's 'rockin - Part 3 (Will edit)

Ok...we now require two passwords. Looks like it's interigation time. Onward to ownage! Ok...after owning a Team Rocket Grunt, he gave me the 1st password.....Raticate Tail. Weird, but I guess I'll roll with it Anyway, I just need 1 more password, and I know who knows it. Now...after owning a female grunt, she gave me the second password...Slowpoketail. Now...time to own the boss! Before going to own the boss, Deyrell showed up to tell me he got owned by Lance. Now...the boss is an executive, but he sucks. A Murkrow tells me the last password...Hail Giovinni!

To Be Continued!​

Blissy's Army:

Spr_2s_153.png

Petal (Bayleef) Lv. 27
Spr_2s_162.png

Furry (Furret) Lv. 24

Spr_2s_093.png

Spooky (Haunter) Lv. 27
Spr_2s_180.png

Shiek (Flaaffy) Lv. 27
Spr_2s_213.png

Shuckie (Shuckle) Lv. 22

Badges Obtained

70px-Plain_Badge.png
Fog_Badge.png
Storm_Badge.png
Mineral_Badge.png

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
Name:Gearuvagen
Game:Soul Silver
List of Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Number required:5 or 6
Any specific requirements:no not really

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Added Gearuvagen to the Challengers list. I'm currently breeding my team for my second run on this Challenge, so I'll be starting it pretty soon.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Chapter 14: Team Rocket's 'rockin - Part 4

A Murkrow tells me the last password...Hail Giovinni! I have a feeling I know where that password goes. Back to the room with that OTHER locked door. Ha! The password worked. Looks like there are six Electrode. This must be the source. Lance appears again...so now he'll "help" me even more. Yay.....basterd. Wait! Rockets! They're haters, so they must DAI! Ok...their hideout is done, but they have bigger plans. I have a feeling I gotta deal with more Team Rocket soon. Oh well, we gotta bust down the weird machine by owning the Electrode. I get the left side of Electrode, so Petal gets some battling in at last. Yay...for real. Ok...they're Level 23...kinda overkill since they might explode. Ok...Petal will own them 1 at a time, so I'll be back.

Three Electrodes get owned later...

...They could explode, but the weird signal is gone, and Lance gave me HM06. Now, at long last, to Mahogany Gym. Ice type gym, eh? Fine. Ice floor...total demons of a gym. Furry getting more battles...mabye. Well...we'll see. The faster Pryce is owned...the better. So...I'll go through until I reach Pryce. Ok...I reached him. He was a royal pain with Seel and Dewgong since they had Rest. Piloswine...was gay, but died, so I got the Glacier Badge. The strange part is that Prof. Elm called me. Something's up with the radio broadcast, and it involves...Team Rocket! Son of a b-

To Be Continued!​

Blissy's Army:

Spr_2s_153.png

Petal (Bayleef) Lv. 28
Spr_2s_162.png

Furry (Furret) Lv. 26

Spr_2s_093.png

Spooky (Haunter) Lv. 27
Spr_2s_180.png

Shiek (Flaaffy) Lv. 29
Spr_2s_213.png

Shuckie (Shuckle) Lv. 22

Badges Obtained

70px-Plain_Badge.png
Fog_Badge.png
Storm_Badge.png
Mineral_Badge.png
Glacier_Badge.png

Last edited:

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
First Update:
~Picked Chikorita named Her Rose
~Did the basic Delivery Boy stuff
~Caught a Weedle named her Athena
~Caught a Sentret named him Craig
~Went into Dark Cave and Caught a Geodude named her Berta
~Caught a Hoothoot named it Archie
~Decided to breed a Yanma egg on platinum and trade it over it hatched knowing U-Turn (a pleasant surprise) named him Marshal
~Trained Archie in the sprout tower
~Got Berta to level 13 and pwned Faulkner
~Trained Rose on the in Union Cave until she Evolved
~Saved it here going to finish going through Union Cave training mainly Berta and Archie for Bugsy.

Team:
153.png

Rose .Level-16
-Tackle
-Synthesis
-Razor Leaf
-Poison Powder

163.png

Archie. Level-11
-Tackle
-Peck
-Foresight
-Hypnosis

15.png

Athena. Level-10
-Poison Sting
-String Shot
-Harden
-Fury Attack

74.png

Berta. Level-15
-Tackle
-Defense Curl
-Rock Throw
-Magnitude

161.png

Craig. Level-9
-Scratch
-Quick Attack
-Defense Curl
-Foresight

193.png

Marshal. Level-8
-Tackle
-Foresight
-U-Turn
-Quick Attack

Planning on training a lot before taking on Bugsy.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Chapter 15: Team Rocket's 'rockin - Part 5

Son of a bullfish! Team Rocket took over the Radio Tower in Goldenrod City. I guess that was their big plan. Well...let's go to the Radio Tower.....again. Team Rocket needs to be owned...again. Looks like they really did do it. They took it over. I need to speak to the manager about this! I'll own every grunt who stands in my way!

A ton of ownage later...

I found the director! Wait, he's a Rocket Executive? He's a fake! They stashed the real one in the Underground Werehouse. I just know that Deyrell is near, though.....very near.

To Be Continued!​

Blissy's Army:

Spr_2s_153.png

Petal (Bayleef) Lv. 29
Spr_2s_162.png

Furry (Furret) Lv. 26
Spr_2s_093.png

Spooky (Haunter) Lv. 30
Spr_2s_180.png

Shiek (Flaaffy) Lv. 31
Spr_2s_213.png

Shuckie (Shuckle) Lv. 22

Badges Obtained

70px-Plain_Badge.png
Fog_Badge.png
Storm_Badge.png
Mineral_Badge.png
Glacier_Badge.png
[/QUOTE]

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2015
Well I didn't give the Victory Road a proper update. Oh well. All you need to know is that I got through it :) Oh and... Challenge Complete!! Below is my conquest of the elite four:

Spoiler:

That was kinda short, I know... And probably didn't make any sense. (I is tired!) Stay tuned for my final pseudo-update: an in-depth look at how my team of never used Poke's fared in the foriegn (except Xatu) Hoenn region.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
The anti-confusion berries (name?)

Persim :)

I personally can't think of any type combos that give a super-effective hit on his two fossils

Armaldo would be hit super-effectively by... um... Steel, Water and... Rock? Rock's neutral against Rock I think, so yeah, those three. As for Cradily... Ice, Bug (I think Bug's neutral against Rock so would super-effective the Grass part of Cradily, same as Ice does), Steel again and Fighting.

Also, isn't Xatu a Gen II Pokemon? So Hoenn is foreign to Xatu as well...

Anyway, that's enough of me being pedantic. Well done on completing the Challenge, I'll add you to the Champions list post-haste. Looking forward to reading your team review!

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Chapter 16: Team Rocket's Last Fight. (Will Edit)

I just have a feeling that Deyrell is near.....very near. Anyway...let's go to the undergroud werehouse! But...on the way there, Deyrell showed up. Oh well...he'll get his ownage too. Bring it on!

One Deyrell Ownage Later...

Now...he's done.....for now. But...it's time to save the real director! Onward! Well...there are even Team Rocket Grunts inside the Underground Werehouse. After I owned all of them, I find the director...for real.

To Be Continued!​

Blissy's Army:

Spr_2s_153.png

Petal (Bayleef) Lv. 29
Spr_2s_162.png

Furry (Furret) Lv. 26
Spr_2s_093.png

Spooky (Haunter) Lv. 30
Spr_2s_180.png

Shiek (Flaaffy) Lv. 31
Spr_2s_213.png

Shuckie (Shuckle) Lv. 22

Badges Obtained

70px-Plain_Badge.png
Fog_Badge.png
Storm_Badge.png
Mineral_Badge.png
Glacier_Badge.png

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
KoboraX... Are you doing your Challenge on an emulator? Because I think it is possible to trade on an emulator so you could evolve your Haunter if you wanted...

Hacki101

I use too many smileys.... :P
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 14, 2014
Update for Pokemon White:

Caught a Patrat on Route 1
Defeated Cheren and Bianca
Beat the first gym leader with Patrat's Bide at Lv.14
Caught Roggenrola in Wellspring Cave
Evolved Patrat whilst training for Aloe
Defeated N
Swept Aloe with Roggenrola
Evolved to Boldore in Victini Event :D
Evolved to Gigalith
Destroyed Burgh with Gigalith
Caught Yamask
Caught Trubbish
Many Toxic Spikes/Hex sweeps followed as I raised them two up to Watchog and Gigalith levels
Gigalith beat 4th gym

Then gave up challenge as too much temptation from other Pokemon that needed evolving to complete Pokedex such as Solosis and Tirtouga. Sorry guys :(

Impressions:

Patrat/Watchog: Was better I thought it would be at the start due to stab tackle and bide. After I caught Roggenola it was a nuisance to level as it was so bad. Would not raise again espically as it took too much time to train up, however Super Fang and Hyponsis were good for catching Pokemon. Finished at Lv.27

Roggenola/Boldore/Gigalith: Definite MVP. In a game of such high evolution levels to have such a good Pokemon at Lv.25 like I did makes it a brillant in-game Pokemon that I would recommend to anybody. At one point it was OHKO'ing Pokemon with 1 hit of Rock Blast. Shame it had to carry Watchog as it soon as it became a member of the team as I enjoyed using it. Finished at Lv.31

Yamask: I didnt use it for long but its Hex move can really be quite good. Coupled with Will O Wisp as an early level up move and Trubbish's Toxic Spikes this guy is a bit like a bulky sweeper in game. Would use again if there weren't so many good Pokemon this generation.

Trubbish: I know I have said it but I will say it again, Toxic Spikes is awesome with Hex! A strong moveset aids Trubbish's average stats with an underrated Acid Spray move and Slugde which works well of the opposing Pokemon's -2 Sp.Def. Doubt I would use it again though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back