• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Seraphim

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I'm getting kind of tired of writing tl;dr posts (and I'm sure you're sick of reading them) so I'll try to keep this one short. To make a long short, I hacked the fade-in/fade-out routine so that if 0x8000 is set to 0x42, then all palettes loaded on the fade-in will be grey (both the values 0x8000 and 0x42 can be changed). Also, like before, the textbox palettes are left untouched. The palettes will stay that way until something else other than the fade routine runs, such as moving from map to map (which loads new secondary tileset palettes directly, meaning no fade) but I don't think that that will be a problem seeing how the grey mode will only be used for flashbacks.
As for application into a script, there are a few things I need to check first. Once I work out the kinks, I'll make one more video showing the final product and post the script(s) here.

edit: Okay so I think I've gotten everything working the way I want it to. Now all that's left to do is for Thrace to take a look at it and see if everything's working the way he wants it to. Here's a video with an example of how a flashback would be implemented. Unfortunately, the flashback in the video takes place in a building so the flashback border looks a little weird because it intersects with the normal, interior black border.
Anyways, in order for the flashback to work, a couple of level scripts are necessary:
1. The level script (type 0x2) with the event. This is pretty obvious since the flashback is an event and it needs to run automatically
2. Another level script (type 0x4) on the map of the event. In this script, there is a 'callasm' command which loads the border sprites into the VRAM and places them in the right spots. This has to be a type 0x4 level script and if you put the 'callasm' into, say, a setmaptile script, no border will appear. I think that this is because the setmaptile script runs not only before the map is loaded but also before the sprites are loaded. Because of this, the border is loaded but is then immediately overwritten. Also, this script contains the 'setvar 0x8000 0x42' which triggers the greyscale palette loading function (type 0x0). This has to be set here because if you set it in the calling script, the fade-out will use shades of grey
3. A setmaptile script (type 0x1) on the map where the flashback is called from. The only command in this script is a 'setvar 0x8000 0x0' which turns off the greyscale palette fade function. Unfortunately, you have to set 0x8000 to 0x0 after the fade-out but before the fade-in, like in the previous script, because otherwise the fade-out will be colored

Also, if you wanted to continue the event that calls the flashback after the flashback is completed, you will need another type 0x2 level script on the calling map.

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Ok, Just tell me as soon as you can as to the changes you want.
Um... they look a little weird when they move. I'll send you the patch so you can see for yourself. Everything about the neck is great though.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
When I open up the ROM in AdvanceMap, an error message pops up saying that "The value at $734F7C is not a pointer". The map of Verasa Village has a strip of tiles in the top left-hand corner that look like some other type of data that got interpreted as map data. Supporting this theory is the fact that their movement permissions are weird as well. On top of that, the event data is messed up too.
Could you try remaking the patch and then PM it to me?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I think colcolstyles has something new to share.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Thanks Vrai. :)

Hey gang. Thrace had me working on a little something for Genesis over the weekend and about fifteen minutes ago I finally finished it. It's a tablet that displays a legend, which I'm assuming is a major part of the plot of Genesis. If you want to have a look at it in action, here's a link to a video of it running in-game.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Thanks Vrai. :)

Hey gang. Thrace had me working on a little something for Genesis over the weekend and about fifteen minutes ago I finally finished it. It's a tablet that displays a legend, which I'm assuming is a major part of the plot of Genesis. If you want to have a look at it in action, here's a link to a video of it running in-game.
I can't believe no one has posted... lets try to get some feedback going guys.

It'll look a LOOOT better when we have the actual tablet. We might need to fine tune the timing there though colcolstyles.

Esmas

General
Years
Name: Russell
E-Mail: [email protected]
IM: ^
Position: Spriter (overworlds, certain others, and some tiles)
Proof of Work: Do I really need any? Whatever. :]

mifpc4.png
8D
verdekd.png

kdfrlgtiles.png

I still haven't gotten to the Genesis heroine. If you could remind me with a description, that'd be great.

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Name: Russell
Position: Spriter (overworlds, certain others, and some tiles)
Proof of Work: Do I really need any? Whatever. :]

mifpc4.png
8D
verdekd.png

kdfrlgtiles.png

I still haven't gotten to the Genesis heroine. If you could remind me with a description, that'd be great.
Yay! Esmas is in! ^_^
Don't worry about the heroine OWs, I've got Paranoid working on them. If you could finish the remaining OWs for the Hero that'd be great. Do you have any experience in making world maps?

If you're wondering why we haven't been making progress its because I'm trying to finalise the storyline, I'm sure you guys wouldn't appreciate it if I had to remove your hard work because I changed my mind. :D

Esmas

General
Years
Oh, no problem, but if he doesn't finish 'em, then come get me >: And yeah, I'll finish the remaining OWs for the hero :] And...no, I've no experience with making world maps, but I can try. I'm quite good at adapting styles. For example, the trainer sprite in my application above was my first trainer sprite ever :D

And maybe removing our hard work would be a good thing, as doing things a second time is always (or usually) a better attempt. But I guess in this case it's a little much :3

By the way, do you mind if I ever edited the Genesis hero's OW a bit? You know, made it more modern to my style and closer to the FR/LG style? I think it'd look cool if, in a later release, if there were new and improved OWs. 'Cause, right now looking at the shading and stuff, I can tell I've nearly pillow-shaded it, and it looks gross in my opinion.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Oh, no problem, but if he doesn't finish 'em, then come get me >: And yeah, I'll finish the remaining OWs for the hero :] And...no, I've no experience with making world maps, but I can try. I'm quite good at adapting styles. For example, the trainer sprite in my application above was my first trainer sprite ever :D

And maybe removing our hard work would be a good thing, as doing things a second time is always (or usually) a better attempt. But I guess in this case it's a little much :3

By the way, do you mind if I ever edited the Genesis hero's OW a bit? You know, made it more modern to my style and closer to the FR/LG style? I think it'd look cool if, in a later release, if there were new and improved OWs. 'Cause, right now looking at the shading and stuff, I can tell I've nearly pillow-shaded it, and it looks gross in my opinion.
Thats great! I'll get a rough draft of it to you soon.

Yeah no worries, go for it. If you could do the hero's trainer sprite at the same time that'd be great.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Sorry about being absent this week guys, I just haven't had any free time this week. I've got Most of Sunday free so I should be able to finish up the storyline then. Have the Spriters finished their assigned jobs? Its not critical but I would really love to get them done as soon as possible.

So, what's up guys? Is there anything that needs to be done? Scripting? Mapping? I'm here and ready.
I just figured you might want a bit of a break since you've done so much already but if you're keen and willing I'm not in a position to turn down help. The reason I haven't asked you for mapping help is because we have rather different styles of mapping but I'm sure that can be resolved later down the track. Since about 95% of the maps are finished (only a few cave maps remain) could you just go through all the completed maps and make any changes you think would look good (I don't mind if you completely re-do them). That goes for Dratii too.

On the scripting side of things you'll have to wait for me to finish the storyline stuff so I can give you the dialouge for the scripts. There are a couple that can be done now though.

In the script where the player attempts to cut the tree in Felridge and is helped by a mysterious woman, I need to have a very short flashback where the player sees the woman taking care of player and rival (use baby OW sprites) when they are babies. This flashback can take place in rivals bedroom. I need to show one of the babies (doesn't matter who) playing with one of the dolls (this can be shown by making the baby run around the doll or if you can think of something better, that) in the room and the other baby watching until the woman goes and grabs the remaining doll in the room and gives it to the other baby (who should play with it). The woman should then leave the room and end the flashback. No text needed but it needs to be attached to the original script. There is currently a TV in rivals room and you'll need to remove it with setmaptile for the level script. Hope that was descriptive enough obviously you can take liberties with timing and music etc.

The second (which Spherical Ice should do if he has the time) is the very first script in the game. Its a dream of player running through the map Ancient Forest until he encounters a grass patch where Mew is. Mew should then approach Player and circle him (with the Player facing Mew every time he moves). After a few seconds change the music to something ominous (not important which one since it can be changed easily later). This next part, I'm not sure is even possible with just scripting, but I need to create a circular shadow (like in maps that require flash) that grows slowly (not just appears immediately) and attempts to swallow the entire screen in darkness till it comes to where Mew and Player are Mew should then push back the darkness back a bit but after a while the darkness should fill the whole screen and then warp back to players house in bed.

If you're unsure about anything the best way to contact me is VM/PM.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I was kidding about the mapping. I know that you're not too fond of my mapping style. Personally, I'd rather not make any changes to your maps unless it's to fix a tile error.

As for the scripts, the flashback thing is perfectly manageable. If someone else can write the script, I'll handle the flashback part of it. The black circle thing will be somewhat difficult (as long as we're thinking about the same idea). I'd have to figure out a way to go about doing it. However, I'm going to be busy for most of the weekend. I'll see what I can do when I get some time though.

If anyone knows a game that utilizes the same effect (where there's a circle, like the one in caves that require flash, that grows/shrinks), please let me know. I think I remember that a Zelda game or something used a similar effect when the player ran out of health but I'm not sure what game it was. So if anyone knows a game that uses that effect, please tell me so I can observe it and hopefully find some way of porting it to Genesis.

Okay, I found that in the Minish Cap, there are two examples of that growing black circle effect. One is when the player uses the Mole Mitts which doesn't look very good because it's very blocky. The second is when the player uses a tree stump (or possibly other objects?) to shrink. The latter looks a lot better but I can't for the life of me figure out how they did it. I guess I'll try to do a little more research should I get some free time.

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
I was kidding about the mapping. I know that you're not too fond of my mapping style. Personally, I'd rather not make any changes to your maps unless it's to fix a tile error.
I'm not sure where you got that idea from, I really like your maps, maybe not some of your earlier work, but I love the new maps you've made (speaking of which when are we going to see a new one in MRT? :D)

As for the scripts, the flashback thing is perfectly manageable. If someone else can write the script, I'll handle the flashback part of it. The black circle thing will be somewhat difficult (as long as we're thinking about the same idea). I'd have to figure out a way to go about doing it. However, I'm going to be busy for most of the weekend. I'll see what I can do when I get some time though.
Spherical Ice, when you see this could you get to work on this? You can then send them to me when you're done and I'll do the rest. If you could PM me how to create the flashback effect colcolstyles when you're free? I've got a new ROM that I need to send you first so you can insert the hacks to, the one I sent before had some problems.

If anyone knows a game that utilizes the same effect (where there's a circle, like the one in caves that require flash, that grows/shrinks), please let me know. I think I remember that a Zelda game or something used a similar effect when the player ran out of health but I'm not sure what game it was. So if anyone knows a game that uses that effect, please tell me so I can observe it and hopefully find some way of porting it to Genesis.

Okay, I found that in the Minish Cap, there are two examples of that growing black circle effect. One is when the player uses the Mole Mitts which doesn't look very good because it's very blocky. The second is when the player uses a tree stump (or possibly other objects?) to shrink. The latter looks a lot better but I can't for the life of me figure out how they did it. I guess I'll try to do a little more research should I get some free time.
I thought it might be possible with just lighten and darken (like in Brawlys gym in RSE). If you find that its not worth the time, tell me and I'll think of some other way to do the dream.

Paranoid and Esmas, how are those sprites coming along?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I thought it might be possible with just lighten and darken (like in Brawlys gym in RSE). If you find that its not worth the time, tell me and I'll think of some other way to do the dream.

Huh. I completely forgot about that. I'll take a look into that when I can.

As for the flashback thing, I gave a rough outline of how the system works in this post. If you're unsure about anything, I can explain it more thoroughly. Once we get a finalized script, you can just send me a patch (the old one was, as you said, buggy) and I'll work my magic^^

By the way, I finally figured out how to access the RTC so if you want to use events that use the time and/or date, just let me know.

Esmas

General
Years
Aha, still working on 'em. Sorry for my slow progress, but I've also got a little work to do for Pokémon Zephyr (and I'm not a very fast spriter :3) By the way, do you have any suggestions concerning the "updates" of the Genesis hero? Maybe a new colour or a different or hairstyle, or maybe an accessory of some sort? All I know is to clean it up a little, like make the hair not as messy zoomed in, but any other changes might do, even small hue or shading changes (i.e., Lucas in D/P to Lucas in Pt). I mean, you're not really using that palette for anything else but the hero and heroine, so...

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I feel rather useless. ):

If you need me to help with... something, please ask. I have time. *twiddles thumbs*

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I've been fooling around with the 'lighten' and 'darken' commands and (like in Brawly's gym in R/S/E) it is possible to make the circle grow so that it reveals more of the map. However, the reverse doesn't work. Well, it is possible to make the circle shrink but for some reason, it keeps on shrinking and doesn't stop, creating a weird effect and freezing the game. I can try to experiment a little more with it tomorrow but at this point, it's not looking very good for this approach.

How's the flashback script coming along? It will only take me a minute or two to add the flashback hack so we're really only waiting for the actual script that will utilize the flashback system.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Name: Manipulation ^_^
Position: Mapper/Scripter/Graphic stuff if you need it.
Proof of Work:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I don't have any scripting stuff on me, but I could open A-Map and grab something if you need it. :>

Back