• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Seraphim

Thrace

@tion
Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Huh. I completely forgot about that. I'll take a look into that when I can.

As for the flashback thing, I gave a rough outline of how the system works in this post. If you're unsure about anything, I can explain it more thoroughly. Once we get a finalized script, you can just send me a patch (the old one was, as you said, buggy) and I'll work my magic^^

By the way, I finally figured out how to access the RTC so if you want to use events that use the time and/or date, just let me know.
    I'm not sure if I want to include RTC events just because it'll push back development even further and I need Genesis to be finished this year. If we do add any they definitely won't be story effecting events.

Aha, still working on 'em. Sorry for my slow progress, but I've also got a little work to do for Pokémon Zephyr (and I'm not a very fast spriter :3) By the way, do you have any suggestions concerning the "updates" of the Genesis hero? Maybe a new colour or a different or hairstyle, or maybe an accessory of some sort? All I know is to clean it up a little, like make the hair not as messy zoomed in, but any other changes might do, even small hue or shading changes (i.e., Lucas in D/P to Lucas in Pt). I mean, you're not really using that palette for anything else but the hero and heroine, so...
    I want to keep the hair colour the same and even if we did change that we'd have to do it for the dad/hero/heroine sprite. I've considered going with silver hair but I think that might be difficult to pull off. As for hairstyles/accessories I think its fine the way it is I don't mind you making changes but I don't think there is any need to add new stuff to them. Cleaning it up is exactly what I want at the moment (and a complete set+trainer sprite+back sprite :p). You can make changes to the palette too if you want.

I feel rather useless. ):

If you need me to help with... something, please ask. I have time. *twiddles thumbs*
    You've probably done the most work in this team after colcolstyles. I'm pretty happy with the story at the moment. What you could do is come up with text for NPCs, the most important ones I need are the move tutors. I'll PM you the list tonight. I'll send you the gym leader/elite 4 list too. I want to keep the types the same but you can make changes to the Pokemon if you want. What I really need is the attacks though. You should know that I've tried to make the Gym leaders extremely difficult (the water one in Latim might be a little too difficult though), and since you have experience in competitive battling you should be able to come up with some pretty devious movesets! I want the difficulty to be gradual though so the first leader should be somewhat simple and gradually build up to the near-impossible Champion (I think the typing is perfect to create that level of difficulty although you might have some problems with finding good movesets for the first E4 member).

I've been fooling around with the 'lighten' and 'darken' commands and (like in Brawly's gym in R/S/E) it is possible to make the circle grow so that it reveals more of the map. However, the reverse doesn't work. Well, it is possible to make the circle shrink but for some reason, it keeps on shrinking and doesn't stop, creating a weird effect and freezing the game. I can try to experiment a little more with it tomorrow but at this point, it's not looking very good for this approach.

How's the flashback script coming along? It will only take me a minute or two to add the flashback hack so we're really only waiting for the actual script that will utilize the flashback system.
    Yeah I figured it wouldn't be that simple. Well if you could send me the ROM with the flashback hack I could do all the script inserting and ROM distribution. I just think its best if everything goes through me to avoid any confusion/problems.

Uhm, 'xcuse me for my blindness, but which map is Ancient Forest? I can't find it on A-Map. :/
    Below Phlanx Meadows and 2 above S.S. ANNE. Make sure you're using the new ROM I sent you btw.

Name: Manipulation ^_^
    E-Mail: [email protected]
    IM: ^
    Position: Mapper/Scripter/Graphic stuff if you need it.
    Proof of Work:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I don't have any scripting stuff on me, but I could open A-Map and grab something if you need it. :>
    Yay! You're in! ^__^
    I'm not sure what I need you for at the moment, I'll put you as Scripter and Mapper for the time being. If you could just give me a list of improvements that you think could be made to Genesis that'd be great. That goes for everyone else in the team too.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Well, there isn't really that much that needs fixing. That and I haven't had a play through in a while. I'll take a whack at it and edit this post with anything that irks me. Wow, this feels more like a bug report. XD;

Current Stuff:

• The title screen has a few glitched blocks in the bottom left.
    • Map connection between Versara Bay and Village has a border error which needs fixing.
    • I'm not sure if it's just me but the rival overworld sprite just doesn't seem to fit.
    • Uh, somehow my Spheal got paralysed against rival's Mareep. It didn't notify me, not does it show up on the HP box.
    • The bag you inserted has no animation on it. It's just the same frame for every pocket. D:
    • Is that a new bug catcher sprite? Because it seems weird... (It seems it only occurs on the first route?)
    • Some signposts which contain quotes only have the ending ' and ".
    • Depending on where the youngster in Felridge City is, the woman who cuts the tree can walk through him.
    • I found quite a few tree shading errors. If you want I'll go through all the maps and fix them. ^_^
    • There doesn't seem to be a shadow around the houses in Felridge City.
    • A new berry is available every time a the map is refreshed. Good for the person playing through, but it's not very true to the berry system that GameFreak introduced. I'll be glad to make a new one for you if you want.
    • I really dislike the Veric Canyon map.
    • In Herus Path the rival vanishes while on-screen.
    • In the double battle with the rival in by Latim City, make sure it's a single battle if you only have one Pokémon. Plus, it seems all the moves they know are struggle? Also, he went from having a Mareep in the last battle to a Trapinch? I think you might of messed up your comparevar's on that one.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years

• I'm not sure if I want to include RTC events just because it'll push back development even further and I need Genesis to be finished this year. If we do add any they definitely won't be story effecting events.

Fair enough.

Yeah I figured it wouldn't be that simple. Well if you could send me the ROM with the flashback hack I could do all the script inserting and ROM distribution. I just think its best if everything goes through me to avoid any confusion/problems.

Alright. Coming right up.

Also, adding on to Manipulation's list, one improvement that I can think of off the top of my head is the issue of the signposts. They look fine but when you use colored text, especially red, it becomes difficult to read what's written on the signpost.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    What bout me Thrace? Anything for me to do? I made the OWs and sent them. But you never replied :(
    You never replied to my VM. :(
    And I never got the corrected OWs from you.

Well, there isn't really that much that needs fixing. That and I haven't had a play through in a while. I'll take a whack at it and edit this post with anything that irks me. Wow, this feels more like a bug report. XD;

Spoiler:
    Exactly what I was looking for, if everyone else could do this that'd be fantastic.

Also, adding on to Manipulation's list, one improvement that I can think of off the top of my head is the issue of the signposts. They look fine but when you use colored text, especially red, it becomes difficult to read what's written on the signpost.
    I'd prefer to keep the different colours for different types of signs. I think changing the shadow colour might fix it, I'll give it a go later.

I tried doing the flashback hack but I can't get it to work, it just goes to a black screen. I tried inserting it in the event where you meet your dad outside Uriel Enterprises. I want the flashback bit to start when it warps from map 1.89 to map 1.94. I inserted the 04 level script containing callasm and setvar, and the 01 level script containing the setvar. Could you check it out for me (I'm pmed it to you).

Logan

Years
  • Anything you'd like me to do, Thrace? I won't be on for most of this weekend as such. So if you're wanting me to do anything it'd be better for it to be tomorrow (Thursday.) Also, I'll resume with that list at a later point, perhaps document it and upload it as a 'Word' document. But I've still on it for a little while, I got past Latim City and the proceeding cave, but my game froze at the next rival battle and I'm too lazy to go through it again yet.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Well I've got a three day weekend and although I'll be out and about a lot, I'll still have some time for work. What needs to be done?

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Anything you'd like me to do, Thrace? I won't be on for most of this weekend as such. So if you're wanting me to do anything it'd be better for it to be tomorrow (Thursday.) Also, I'll resume with that list at a later point, perhaps document it and upload it as a 'Word' document. But I've still on it for a little while, I got past Latim City and the proceeding cave, but my game froze at the next rival battle and I'm too lazy to go through it again yet.
    You haven't shown me your version of Veric Canyon and you can do the script for the beginning or the flashback script with Sophia (rivals aunt). Spherical Ice hasn't contacted me about them so I guess hes been pretty busy? You could do the Safari Zone if you'd like. I want the Safari Zone to have an ice map, a desert map, a water map, a grass map and a cave map (so you'll need to add one more map). Don't worry about the map thats already there btw, just overwrite it.

Well I've got a three day weekend and although I'll be out and about a lot, I'll still have some time for work. What needs to be done?
    Do you think you'd be able to fix the problem with the ice tileset where the animation for grass just uses the standard one so it uses a new one thats more suitable? And (this is probably asking too much) if you can think of a way to do it easily, make it so that whenever you step on a tile of grass it changes to green. Just like in that route in R/S/E.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Do you think you'd be able to fix the problem with the ice tileset where the animation for grass just uses the standard one so it uses a new one thats more suitable? And (this is probably asking too much) if you can think of a way to do it easily, make it so that whenever you step on a tile of grass it changes to green. Just like in that route in R/S/E.

The second task is probably a bit much for the time being. However, the first one seems much more reasonable. I'll take a look into it tomorrow as it's getting late here and I need to catch up on some sleep. By the way, I'm going to need the graphics for the new animation. It's not urgent but the sooner the better.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    The second task is probably a bit much for the time being. However, the first one seems much more reasonable. I'll take a look into it tomorrow as it's getting late here and I need to catch up on some sleep. By the way, I'm going to need the graphics for the new animation. It's not urgent but the sooner the better.
    I want the original animation just with a white background.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • I want the original animation just with a white background.

Well I'm looking at the snow tiles and the grass tile has snow-tipped leaves. Are you planning on changing the tile to the original grass tile but with a white background?

Also, I was playing through the beginning of the game in order to get to the first Route (so I could observe the normal grass animation) and when I talk to the pokéball on the far right when my rival is offering me a Pokémon, it uses the script of the father.

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Well I'm looking at the snow tiles and the grass tile has snow-tipped leaves. Are you planning on changing the tile to the original grass tile but with a white background?

Also, I was playing through the beginning of the game in order to get to the first Route (so I could observe the normal grass animation) and when I talk to the pokéball on the far right when my rival is offering me a Pokémon, it uses the script of the father.
    Yup thats right.

Thats weird, I'm not sure how that could have happened. Good thing though because its reminded me I need to redo that event.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • This is what currently happens when the player walks onto one of the snow grass tiles:

GA.png

So you're telling me that all you want me to do is to get rid of the green fill in the top half of that sprite and leave the rest of the grass green?

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    This is what currently happens when the player walks onto one of the snow grass tiles:

GA.png

So you're telling me that all you want me to do is to get rid of the green fill in the top half of that sprite and leave the rest of the grass green?
    Yup thats right. Although I think there might be some green background in the bottom half too.

Logan

Years
  • [jq]
    You haven't shown me your version of Veric Canyon and you can do the script for the beginning or the flashback script with Sophia (rivals aunt). Spherical Ice hasn't contacted me about them so I guess hes been pretty busy? You could do the Safari Zone if you'd like. I want the Safari Zone to have an ice map, a desert map, a water map, a grass map and a cave map (so you'll need to add one more map). Don't worry about the map thats already there btw, just overwrite it.
    [/jq]

All right, I'll get onto the mapping. The safari zone mapping sounds quite fun, so I'll probably take a whack at that first. (About Veric Canyon, I'm not really good at revisions of others' work. You know, it makes me wonder what you actually want it to look like. And it's difficult to map when I'm not really sure what to do.)

Edit: One question, how do you want me to differentiate between the maps? Like for the cave I assume you want just a general cave on one of the maps. But I'm unsure of how you want me to make the transitions between the rest of the maps.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Okay I finished up with the grass animation hack. This video shows how it will use a special animation if it's on a map with Tileset 1 (the snow tileset). I added the white background but the grass itself remains green.

I think that the next step will be to get the actual grass to be snow-tipped. I originally thought that this would be harder because the grass animation uses a palette in the Sprite Palette memory. However, I found the routine which loads the grass animation palette in the Palette memory and I think that I could apply a similar as I did for the animation image so that if the player is on a snow map, it will load a different palette. Of course, if you don't want that, then I'll just leave it as it is and send you what I've done so far.

edit: Well I was bored so I went ahead and added the full grass animation. If you don't like it, I can always revert to the original. Though I really like the way that it turned out. You can see it in action here. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    All right, I'll get onto the mapping. The safari zone mapping sounds quite fun, so I'll probably take a whack at that first. (About Veric Canyon, I'm not really good at revisions of others' work. You know, it makes me wonder what you actually want it to look like. And it's difficult to map when I'm not really sure what to do.)

Edit: One question, how do you want me to differentiate between the maps? Like for the cave I assume you want just a general cave on one of the maps. But I'm unsure of how you want me to make the transitions between the rest of the maps.
    I'm actually perfectly happy with how Veric Canyon looks. Even if you've got a partial remap of it, I'd still like to see it. :D

Okay I finished up with the grass animation hack. This video shows how it will use a special animation if it's on a map with Tileset 1 (the snow tileset). I added the white background but the grass itself remains green.

I think that the next step will be to get the actual grass to be snow-tipped. I originally thought that this would be harder because the grass animation uses a palette in the Sprite Palette memory. However, I found the routine which loads the grass animation palette in the Palette memory and I think that I could apply a similar as I did for the animation image so that if the player is on a snow map, it will load a different palette. Of course, if you don't want that, then I'll just leave it as it is and send you what I've done so far.

edit: Well I was bored so I went ahead and added the full grass animation. If you don't like it, I can always revert to the original. Though I really like the way that it turned out. You can see it in action here. Enjoy!
    The second way certainly looks a lot better. I guess we should keep it like that from now on. If you're done with it could you send me the ROM?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Aw, I was hoping to come back from my week off to see the team thread alive and buzzing but there hasn't been a single post since I left. :(

Let's try and get everybody working on something. Genesis isn't going to finish itself. I'll be busy for most of tomorrow but after that, I'm on break so I'll have more time for work. What's next on the to-do list?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Aw, I was hoping to come back from my week off to see the team thread alive and buzzing but there hasn't been a single post since I left. :(

Let's try and get everybody working on something. Genesis isn't going to finish itself. I'll be busy for most of tomorrow but after that, I'm on break so I'll have more time for work. What's next on the to-do list?

I'm avaliable to help with.. something. I've got spring break this week until the Monday after next, so I have some time.

Back