• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shadow of the Colossus Thoughts

Years
  • The Shadow of the Colossus remake released today and boy I had some struggle with the controls facing the first Colossi, but I think I got them down now.

The game is absolutely beautiful, and this is my first time playing this classic reimagined on the ps4 and ps4 pro.

What are your thoughts of the game from its initial ps2 release to the modern era?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I really wanna get it, it looks cool. Taking down massive things like that is kinda a fantasy of mine :p

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Like Ico, it's a game with hardly any dialogue and instead relies on it atmospheric setting to tell it's story. Each Colossi fight is incredibly unique and requires you to think. As someone who's only played the original, I wasn't even aware that this game was being remade. I'm curious to see what was added (or removed) from the original.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It's stunning. I haven't played it myself yet, just watched somebody else do it. Apparently the controls are hell lol

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • As someone who's only played the original, I wasn't even aware that this game was being remade. I'm curious to see what was added (or removed) from the original.
    Aaaaaand this is basically where my joys and sorrows begin.

So flash back a few months. I'd always said, on this very forum, that if there were 2 games that I'd want to be made before I die, they were a .Hack//G.U. Remaster and a Shadow of the Colossus Remake, respectively. And lo and behold, almost one after another, the two games were both announced, can't even begin to say how happy I was about this.

Then comes the pain. See, there are a total of 16 colossi in the original Shadow of the Colossus, but there were planned to be many, many more than that. After the game's release people went on a wild goose chase for years, with each of its subsequent releases giving hope that the ones that had to be thrown out for technical reasons or time restraints could finally be added back in, and there was nothing that gave us more hope about that than a full on remake.

And then...well, we got nothing. The same game we got before, just prettier. Twice. And that's fine and all, I'll appreciate a ground-up remake, I always thought the game deserved to be redone in a way that would represent the atmosphere and grandeur that the team wanted from the get go...I'm just not sure this is it, and with Ueda not being on board I can't even tell if this is what he wanted.

Anyway, I'm just being that guy again. Regardless of what did or didn't happen with the remake and remaster of SotC, it's an insanely enjoyable game, one that I still consider the best at creating an immersive world and atmosphere with an intoxicating soundtrack. Play it if you guys haven't, on PS2, PS3, or PS4, they're all great and they're all hold up regardless.

Back