• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • I used the same carrier that Catholic nuns use – Virgin Mobile. I was never really disappointed by their service at all, and unlimited everything for $45/mo is the same as what Wal-Mart has, except it doesn't make you look as broke. I only had minimal obstacles with their 3G network, and most of the time I got an excellent signal outdoors.

I just picked it because it was a nice no-contract phone with my family's carrier, and the Galaxy Reverb did not disappoint. :p

Years
  • I just looked on Walmart's website and the Lumia 520 is now $54.94... I hate it when I see devices I own sell for lower prices like that >_<

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I'm totally signing up for the T-Mobile test drive thing. Even with it's an iPhone, it's still awesome wow :D

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Funny enough, I'm considering cutting my contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    What's your contract like? And are you looking for something unlocked? :p

The contract's expiring in days - it was a 2-year contract that came with my Lumia 900.

12 GB of monthly data is a very nice thing to have, and that will stay when my contract expires, but it's still a postpaid phone plan to pay monthly. I'm thinking of transitioning my main mobile phone number to pre-paid, or PAYG as you guys say. It should be an easy affair to convert to pre-paid (I have done this before shortly before going to college with one of my numbers) - the hard part is "merging" two separate phone numbers into one, keeping their balances and dropping one number.

All phones sold over here are unlocked. No exceptions. Even if gotten from a carrier.

Years
  • Not sure. Probably slightly to somewhat.

It's just a "thing" in Asia.
    Wow, that's amazing. Are the phones over there still branded with the carrier logo on them somewhere on the phone over there though?

Even though my Lumia 520 is unlocked, it still has an AT&T logo on it.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Wow, that's amazing. Are the phones over there still branded with the carrier logo on them somewhere on the phone over there though?

Even though my Lumia 520 is unlocked, it still has an AT&T logo on it.

Depends. At worst, you get a removable badge, but sometimes you also end up with nothing. (The firmware, on the other hand...)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I despise having provider logos on unlocked phones, honestly, whether it be on shell or in somewhere in the interface. It's just personal preference, I suppose.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    That's why I'm thinking of making sure my next phone is gotten straight from retail. No carrier stuff.

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • Here in Denmark you can get phones on contract, but that's only really used by people on a really tight budget as far as I know. Most people just buy their phones in the electronics store, unlocked. I have never in my entire life seen a phone with physical carrier branding on the device. Besides, contracts don't tend to lock you in at all, and on average, each danish person switches service provider every 8 months.

Years
  • Over here, it's not often I see a phone without any evidence of it being tied to a carrier. If there aren't any logos present on the phone physically, then there's probably a carrier logo at startup on the phone. And depending on the phone, buying unlocked could be a pain because of its price (list price of a Samsung Galaxy S5 is $799.99 USD unlocked).

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • List prices here in Denmark are pretty much the same. Here I have the three most popular phones at the moment:

Galaxy S5: 4777dkk = $872.73
    iPhone 5S: 4888dkk = $893.00
    Xperia Z2: 4999dkk = $913.29

But people still buy phones in the electronics store, because even on a two-year contract, the cheapest prices I could find were:

Galaxy S5: 3560dkk = $650.30
    iPhone 5S: 3999dkk = $730.56
    Xperia Z2: 4350dkk = $794.68

Years
  • I think some of those prices you listed there are actually a little more expensive for unlocked phones over here o.o

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I was browsing for a new phone to replace my Samsung Galaxy Reverb, and I'll honestly say I'm a little repulsed at the modern phone market (I can't imagine how bad the iPhone scene is if Android is like this).

I wanted to get a Samsung Galaxy S5, but that's $590, where it's $100 with contract. When I got to the plan selection screen it was the stupidest thing, they give me a choice between an overpriced all-in-one plan and a more customizable one that sticks you with a certain number of minutes and then forces you to pay extra at minimum for data. All the carriers did this or something weirdly similar, and it was embarrassing to say the least.

Conclusion: Pay $75 to get my old phone back brand new, get old phone plan back with unlimited everything for $45/mo from Virgin Mobile, insert microSD card for music, be done with it. Enjoy my phone without paying out the ass, eh?

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I was browsing for a new phone to replace my Samsung Galaxy Reverb, and I'll honestly say I'm a little repulsed at the modern phone market (I can't imagine how bad the iPhone scene is if Android is like this).

I wanted to get a Samsung Galaxy S5, but that's $590, where it's $100 with contract. When I got to the plan selection screen it was the stupidest thing, they give me a choice between an overpriced all-in-one plan and a more customizable one that sticks you with a certain number of minutes and then forces you to pay extra at minimum for data. All the carriers did this or something weirdly similar, and it was embarrassing to say the least.

Conclusion: Pay $75 to get my old phone back brand new, get old phone plan back with unlimited everything for $45/mo from Virgin Mobile, insert microSD card for music, be done with it. Enjoy my phone without paying out the ass, eh?

Mmm mmm. Best thing you could do was to have a phone that you do enjoy using. You and your Reverb, huh? How was your experience with that particular phone?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back