• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

X&Y's impact on competitive battling.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • Here's a potential set for Mega Mawile:
    -Iron Head
    -(insert physical Fairy STAB here)
    -Sucker Punch
    -Fire Fang/Brick Break
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
    Item: Mega Stone

I didn't include Swords Dance because assuming no stat changes, Mega Mawile is slow and frail and won't have time to set up.

Years
  • Mega evolution Pokemon from my competitive standpoint:
    -Mega Mawile's max Attack with Huge Power is 590, assuming no stat changes. But it'll have to deal with its frailty and slowness, so Thunder Wave support for it would be great. It also has Sucker Punch to compensate for its low Speed.
    -Mega Absol with Magic Bounce is nice; now it won't have to fear Thunder Wave and Will-o-Wisp while it sets up Swords Dance. Again, its frailty will be an issue, assuming no stat changes
    -Mega Ampharos is essentially an inferior Zekrom. At least it may see some more use in the lower tiers.
    -Mega Lucario's Adaptability boosted Close Combat is going to hurt. A lot.
    -With the reveal of Mega Blaziken, it may stay in Ubers again the next generation around.

About these Mega-Evolutions, I do agree with what this smart cookie said above.

Mega Blaziken is definitely Uber material and most likely will stay there. Mega Lucario is pretty darn strong with that Adaptability, making Close Combat and Aura Sphere even more dangerous, again possibly Ubers if it is considered OP. Mega Absol's Magic Bounce will definitely see it get usage a lot because it can bounce Stealth Rock and status inflicting moves back on the foe although it will probably still have "glass cannon" stats. Mega Ampharos is probably going to be in lower tiers.

Although I may be expecting power creep eventually so they may not shine as much as we think.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Why are people speculating with so little confirmed info? We don't even have new moves yet (well actually, we do, but no movepools). The only thing I'm certain enough to hazard a guess is that Mega Mawile was conceived as a hard Dragon counter, because of its Steel/Fairy type. The rest, we have no idea really.

Sirfetch’d

Why are people speculating with so little confirmed info? We don't even have new moves yet (well actually, we do, but no movepools). The only thing I'm certain enough to hazard a guess is that Mega Mawile was conceived as a hard Dragon counter, because of its Steel/Fairy type. The rest, we have no idea really.

Well with every generation movepools are gonna expand and this gen is no exception. No we don't know exactly how this will impact, what this thread is for to speculate.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Movepools are the only thing we can be sure on, actually, since we can work with what we have. Whats going to determine how much these affect the metagame are stat changes and if they can hold items or not..or even how these formes work at all.

Needing to hold a Mega Stone will limit the effects of these new formes, really. Lucario will have ~16% stronger STABs, but loses out on coverage strength. Scarf + Adaptibility CCs would be very scary on the other hand.

But, really. MegaBlaziken would be literally useless without a stat buff or a held item, so obviously one of these things must happen.

(Edit : Apparently theyre just temporary while in battle....probably gonna be too gimmicky to affect the competitive metagames... >.>)

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • It's also confirmed that the Mega Evolutions have increased stats compared to their original versions. The confirmed ones so far are MegaLucario's increased Attack and MegaAbsol's increased Attack and Speed. I like both of these changes; Absol really needed a speed buff, but the increased Attack may be overkill, IMO.

Sirfetch’d

It's also confirmed that the Mega Evolutions have increased stats compared to their original versions. The confirmed ones so far are MegaLucario's increased Attack and MegaAbsol's increased Attack and Speed. I like both of these changes; Absol really needed a speed buff, but the increased Attack may be overkill, IMO.

It's STAB Sucker Punch is going to be very strong especially after a SD boost, but still I have the concern of will the stats get enough boost to make up for a lack of item. For example, if you are running a standard LO set on Absol will that still be more powerful than the new form that wont be able to hold LO?

Sirfetch’d

I'm mostly worried about Mega Pokemon,Lucario and Mawile seem quite overpowered so far.

In their current state, no. I want to see how much of an increase they get. If Lucario's attack is raised significantly combined with adaptability I would think yes it could be very OP with Adaptability STAB Bullet punch.

SomaQL

The Varia Suit
    Years
  • I just hope MegaPersian gets a Diamond in it's head instead of whatever gem that is

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Call me crazy, but does anyone think that the Cheek Pouch ability would see competitive use? Dedenne or Bunnelby may be good candidates for pinch berries, since not only will they get the stat boost, but they'll regain HP too. I think that both will have high Speed, considering that kangaroo rats and rabbits are fast in RL, so Liechi or Petaya may be better for them, depending on what other stats they get. (this is assuming that items can be transferred from Gen V to VI, or if pinch berries are made available within Gen VI)

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • I probably think it would see competitive use, especially in fast-paced hard-hitting metagames such as doubles, where a quick regain of HP is helpful to avoid being 2HKOed by faster Pokemon. Not sure in singles though, we'll have to test this combo out to see if it helps these Pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Okay, according to the official X/Y site, Ampharos gains Dragon Pulse, while Mawile's defenses increase when it goes Mega.

In Gens IV/V, the only Dragon move Ampharos was able to learn was Outrage, which worked off of its weaker Attack stat. I guess the addition of Dragon Pulse was done to give Mega Ampharos a specials secondary STAB to work with in Mega forme, other than using its new Dragon type to defend itself.

Mega Mawile's increased defenses are a huge welcome, IMO, since its regular forme's Defense was decent, with its Special Defense being terrible in comparison. Its low HP is still a bit of a problem, though.

Years
  • Call me crazy, but does anyone think that the Cheek Pouch ability would see competitive use? Dedenne or Bunnelby may be good candidates for pinch berries, since not only will they get the stat boost, but they'll regain HP too. I think that both will have high Speed, considering that kangaroo rats and rabbits are fast in RL, so Liechi or Petaya may be better for them, depending on what other stats they get. (this is assuming that items can be transferred from Gen V to VI, or if pinch berries are made available within Gen VI)

Knowing the very low defenses of such Pokemon, if the pattern follows, it'll be very tricky to get them to activate the pinch berries. I predict it'll be a gimmick at best but who knows.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Knowing the very low defenses of such Pokemon, if the pattern follows, it'll be very tricky to get them to activate the pinch berries. I predict it'll be a gimmick at best but who knows.

It might not work as well in standard play but I can see it becoming quite a nice set to play with in NU/RU if their defenses will be bad.

Years

I bet Cheek Pouch could see some new use for berries like Liechi, Petaya and Salac due to the activating below 1/3 max HP effect, but also restore HP so that you're not so vulnerable to getting revenge killed by a priority move. This is certainly heightening my hopes that X and Y will have berries available in-game.

Years
  • It might not work as well in standard play but I can see it becoming quite a nice set to play with in NU/RU if their defenses will be bad.

You're right, it will probably see use in those metagames, unless they're useless as in, Luvdisc useless. However, due to the sheer amount of power Pokemon have even in those metagames I doubt the extra HP will be useful. Plus we don't really know how much HP Cheek Pouch restores. Is it 1/2? 1/4? 1/8?

I don't usually play with Pokemon in those category unless its name is Zangoose, but for those who enjoy that metagame it could be a news.

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    Is it too late to bump this?

Anyways, what do you all think about the new type chart?

Fairy types being immune to Dragon is going to be HUGE in Gen VI. Instead of having something to tank Draco Meteors and Outrages, you can switch and be completely fine. On that note, Outrage will definitely be much less common, with a quick switch shutting it down fast. Dragon types in general will probably stop carrying choice items in fear of a wasted turn, and if a Fairy sweeper is there in Gen VI, it'll probably have no problem switching in to some threats like Garchomp and maybe even Latios on a good prediction. Also, Steel losing some resistances is okay, but Dark and Ghost moves aren't that common except for STAB or on Psychic types for Ghost. Overall, Steel and Dragon are losing some of their edge, but I think they'll still perform well. Fairy type being strong against Fire will be great too, and I think it'll be a great type to use on a team.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • We were talking about this earlier on TC and the general consensus is that Psychic/Steel types just got boned and Scizor doesn't appreciate the nerf. Metagross is still bulky enough to carry on without too much trouble, I don't think the change will hurt Bronzong TOO much... but Jirachi just got shot from whatever tier he's currently in. Poor Superachi! isn't defensive enough to ignore the nerf.

Back