• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Challenges Ideas & Discussion

11wildy

Me!
Years
  • With a group of friends, we sometimes do a kind-of speedrun challenge, where everyone starts a new game of the same generation, while we all sit together and play as fast as we can to build a team to battle with at the end. So you need Pokemon that run through the game fast, but also are strong in battle.

As a twist, we are combining this with the lottery. After every gym, someone will get one of the added rules (Modified and added some more). So maybe he is no longer allowed to catch a water type for the rest of the game, which could ruin his planned team balance! Or maybe he will have a difficult time beating the next gym if he cannot use any stab moves...

Better be quick in finding a solution, or else you will run behind the opponents ;)

Years
  • With a group of friends, we sometimes do a kind-of speedrun challenge, where everyone starts a new game of the same generation, while we all sit together and play as fast as we can to build a team to battle with at the end. So you need Pokemon that run through the game fast, but also are strong in battle.

As a twist, we are combining this with the lottery. After every gym, someone will get one of the added rules (Modified and added some more). So maybe he is no longer allowed to catch a water type for the rest of the game, which could ruin his planned team balance! Or maybe he will have a difficult time beating the next gym if he cannot use any stab moves...

Better be quick in finding a solution, or else you will run behind the opponents ;)

That sounds awesome! A little bit similar to the famous Chrism vs. Shenanagans randomizer runs on YouTube, but with a twist. In fact, I'm sure that if you were to upload this on YouTube, you'd get a lot of hits :)

11wildy

Me!
    Years
  • That sounds awesome! A little bit similar to the famous Chrism vs. Shenanagans randomizer runs on YouTube, but with a twist. In fact, I'm sure that if you were to upload this on YouTube, you'd get a lot of hits :)

Well, we are all playing on actual consoles, so it'd be difficult to record. We just do it for our own fun like once or twice a year. I didn't win last time so I need to get revenge!

metroid711

Thumbs up~
    Years
  • I interestingly enough didn't find a thread of this locke variant, which surprised me. So I think I'll be the first to ask about it here, would it be okay to host a Wonderlocke thread here? I'll explain:

Originally made by Marilland, It's been a rather interesting and fun way to play gen 6 and 7 games. Gen 6 and 7 in particular due to them having the special Wonder Trade feature.

The rules are simple regarding Nuzlockes:

Rule 1: all fainted Pokemon are considered dead and under no circumstances are they allowed to be revived.

Rule 2: You can only catch the first Pokemon of any route or new area.

Rule 3: one of the added on rules for this, any Pokemon caught or given must be traded via wonder trade for a new Pokemon to use in its place. Imagine this being like an Egglocke, where instead of replacing the catch with an egg, you replace it with a traded Pokemon from the Wonder Trade system.

One of the exceptions to this is that you cant wonder trade your starter until you have caught a second Pokemon. A final exception is that, if you get an overleveled Pokemon that is pretty much unusable, you are allowed to wonder trade it again until you obtain a usable Pokemon. A good example of usable would be the level or below of the next gym leader's ace or totem Pokemon/kahunas ace. That's the method I usually use at least.

Other than that there is pretty much not much else new besides the Wonder Trade feature. It can be fun to replay, if giving it a chance that is. and if it isn't fit for a thread here, then that's perfectly okay too.

Years
  • I interestingly enough didn't find a thread of this locke variant, which surprised me. So I think I'll be the first to ask about it here, would it be okay to host a Wonderlocke thread here? I'll explain:

Originally made by Marilland, It's been a rather interesting and fun way to play gen 6 and 7 games. Gen 6 and 7 in particular due to them having the special Wonder Trade feature.

The rules are simple regarding Nuzlockes:

Rule 1: all fainted Pokemon are considered dead and under no circumstances are they allowed to be revived.

Rule 2: You can only catch the first Pokemon of any route or new area.

Rule 3: one of the added on rules for this, any Pokemon caught or given must be traded via wonder trade for a new Pokemon to use in its place. Imagine this being like an Egglocke, where instead of replacing the catch with an egg, you replace it with a traded Pokemon from the Wonder Trade system.

One of the exceptions to this is that you cant wonder trade your starter until you have caught a second Pokemon. A final exception is that, if you get an overleveled Pokemon that is pretty much unusable, you are allowed to wonder trade it again until you obtain a usable Pokemon. A good example of usable would be the level or below of the next gym leader's ace or totem Pokemon/kahunas ace. That's the method I usually use at least.

Other than that there is pretty much not much else new besides the Wonder Trade feature. It can be fun to replay, if giving it a chance that is. and if it isn't fit for a thread here, then that's perfectly okay too.
    I'm sure there was one in 2013, when the Challenge was created and I've done it on X at that time. When it went inactive some people did Wonderlocke as part of regular Nuzlocke thread I think. I might've even sent few users there to post it. But new thread could bring new people into it. So you're more than welcome to host one.

metroid711

Thumbs up~
    Years
  • I'm sure there was one in 2013, when the Challenge was created and I've done it on X at that time. When it went inactive some people did Wonderlocke as part of regular Nuzlocke thread I think. I might've even sent few users there to post it. But new thread could bring new people into it. So you're more than welcome to host one.

Yeah! I'd definitely be up for it. Ive done tons of them in the past so I know how to work them.

Years
  • Yeah! I'd definitely be up for it. Ive done tons of them in the past so I know how to work them.
    I found one of the threads from 2015 for inspiration, but can't find the original one from 2013. I was thinking about doing Wonderlocke in Alola games lately, so I might wait for the thread.

metroid711

Thumbs up~
    Years
  • I found one of the threads from 2015 for inspiration, but can't find the original one from 2013. I was thinking about doing Wonderlocke in Alola games lately, so I might wait for the thread.

Alright, so I've never exactly done this kind of thing before. What do I do next?

Years
  • Alright, so I've never exactly done this kind of thing before. What do I do next?
    Create a new thread with all the rules and important stuff. You can use the previous thread as base for that. Then you just have to wait for me or ddrox to approve it.

saniachan

Second Violinist
    Years
  • Say, about the ultimate challenge, does it really have to be all regions? I found this one sign-up in a challenge where they missed a region in their sign-up (in this case, Kalos), so I'm wondering if it's okay.

Years
  • Say, about the ultimate challenge, does it really have to be all regions? I found this one sign-up in a challenge where they missed a region in their sign-up (in this case, Kalos), so I'm wondering if it's okay.
    Ultimate is usually considered to all regions at the time of sign-up/completion. I remember completing Ultimate Solo Challenge with Nidoqueen before the release of XY and it was considered as Ultimate even after they were released (But I think it was marked as Gen V Ultimate later). And I remember some hosts allowed players to exclude XY from Ultimates when 3DS was still new.
    In the end I would say it's on the host to decide what is needed for completing Ultimate run for their Challenge.

Speaking of the one in String Hexalocke, I think that user either forgot to include one game for Kalos.

EDIT: I should send the messages right away instead of leaving them open for several hours and doing something else. I noticed the problem was already resolved.

Last edited:
    Years
  • You might've noticed it, but some of the challenges were labeled with "Challenge" prefix. And new type of threads appeared - Discussion. In an attempt to make this forum place where you can not only put your challenge journals/logs, challenge's ideas, but to also discuss this topic outside the Chit-Chat, we decided to try putting discussions in here. Feel free to create your own discussion threads.

And with that we had to update rules, so check them out before posting.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I wanna make a piano/ukulele challenge. I don't know how to execute that though.

this is totally a crack idea and don't listen to me at all honestly but the first thing that came to mind w this is using only a team of pokemon whose cries fall into a certain musical key. lmfao i don't know HOW you would even begin to construct that though and that requires an ear that i don't think everyone has. plus some of the newer cries don't even really have a musical key. and some are just screeches.

could also consider having to have sound based moves? and everyone has to have a chatot on the team or smth. but that's more music inspired than specifically piano or ukulele. i think a sound based challenge could work as a more broad thing, but you create some harder perimeters if you limit it by instrument.

this got longer than expected whoops.

fenberry

Lover <3
    Years
  • this is totally a crack idea and don't listen to me at all honestly but the first thing that came to mind w this is using only a team of pokemon whose cries fall into a certain musical key. lmfao i don't know HOW you would even begin to construct that though and that requires an ear that i don't think everyone has. plus some of the newer cries don't even really have a musical key. and some are just screeches.

could also consider having to have sound based moves? and everyone has to have a chatot on the team or smth. but that's more music inspired than specifically piano or ukulele. i think a sound based challenge could work as a more broad thing, but you create some harder perimeters if you limit it by instrument.

this got longer than expected whoops.

WOAH. That would actually be really cool!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i have a lot of free time lately between being jobless and our internet fizzling out constantly and i keep getting this light urge to play pokemon, but i just never know what i wanna do. i'm trying to comb through the challenges here and see if anything ignites me, but lately every time i've restarted a pokemon game for either a challenge or a simple playthrough, i just get really bored. any suggestions that might keep me entertained?

fenberry

Lover <3
    Years
  • i have a lot of free time lately between being jobless and our internet fizzling out constantly and i keep getting this light urge to play pokemon, but i just never know what i wanna do. i'm trying to comb through the challenges here and see if anything ignites me, but lately every time i've restarted a pokemon game for either a challenge or a simple playthrough, i just get really bored. any suggestions that might keep me entertained?

Maybe an eevee only run through? Of course, you'd have to hack in eevees...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Maybe an eevee only run through? Of course, you'd have to hack in eevees...

mmm idk, feels a little like. something i would have done when i was 12 aha. i mean i have multiple 3DSes and games, i'm capable of trading w myself though.

Back