• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Challenges Ideas & Discussion

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen yesterday
I've completed four monotype challenges as part of a "Game Mastery" run, and I'm trying to think of a different challenge to take on.

Does anyone know the quirks of a "no evolution" challenge in Pokemon Sapphire Version (GBA)? I can't think of anything that get in the way like the time someone did "shiny Pokemon only" in LGP&E and got to the Fuchsia City Gym where you can't progress without enough PokeDex fodder However, does anyone know if Pokemon who can't evolve (like Skarmory) are allowed? To be clear, I was thinking the rule for myself would be first stage Pokemon only, but then... what about Pikachu? Pikachu used to be unevolved in Gen I, so I guess he'd be off limits(?). Does anyone have any advice?

For that matter, will I be eligible for the hall of fame after one more challenge? The monotype challenges I've completed were all technically part of one "Game Mastery" challenge except for the first one (which was before I got my eyes set on that prize).

Last edited:
Days
  • Seen Feb 5, 2024
Hi! I'm new here, made an account because I got interested in romhacks, but I also did a neat challenge run in Scarlet recently which as far as I've been able to tell, I don't think this specific idea has shown up anywhere else so I'm leaving it here for people to play with/do what they want:

Pokemon Airplane Mode
The idea was based on the fact that a reasonable way to get from real life Spain to real life Japan, the places the main game and DLC part 1 are based on, would be to fly on a plane (when I came up with this idea I had not played the DLC and didn't know that you actually literally fly on a plane to get from Paldea to Kitakami and Blueberry Academy), and theoretically, you could restrict yourself to only a carry-on for said flight. Looking into it, japanese airlines have a limit of 10kg or about 22lbs for a carry-on, so the challenge is that your entire party, including boxed pokemon, must weigh in total no more than 22lbs. When you catch or evolve a pokemon that brings you above this limit, you have to release one of your pokemon, although it doesn't have to be the one that you just caught or evolved.

This is an incredibly restrictive limit for Pokemon, but I have verified that it is possible to make it through the entire main story of the main game and get to Kitakami with a team weighing under 22lbs, and I documented that journey on a discord server with some friends. I can share some screenshots from that in limited form here if that's of interest to folks but obviously I talk a lot about the weight of the pokemon I catch so like, massive spoilers for people interested in doing one of these runs. I didn't play with permadeath or anything because releasing Pokemon that put me over the limit was already a rough enough time emotionally, and needing to primarily use weak/unevolved Pokemon meant that even without permadeath there was a substantial challenge. You could try this with permadeath though.

I looked up the weight of a few pokemon before starting just to make sure I could get ANY pokemon under 22lbs, but after that I was playing blind as the spirit of the challenge for me was that each catch or evolution was a tough decision and an extremely tense moment, wondering if this would be goodbye or a massive powerup to my buddy. Similarly, I wasn't catching repeat pokemon since once you catch one, you can look up its weight in the pokedex and make an informed decision about whether it would overload your team or not.

I stopped doing my run once I made it to Kitakami out of kindness to a few of my pokemon that had been struggling really hard past about level 50 and because I wanted to experience the DLC story for the first time without worrying about the challenge, but if I were to do this again I would definitely want to keep going through the entire DLC, especially given that in the Blueberry Academy story there's a part that kinda forces you to shake up your team a little so you can't really keep one team the entire way through. And in the fiction of the run, anytime you're traveling from one region to another you're taking a plane so the carry-on rule still applies.

Some potential variations or ideas to add to this:
  • As mentioned, permadeath
  • Try with other games! I'd be fascinated to see how it goes with something like the gen 4 games, or romhacks even!
  • A friend suggested having a region-specific reserve, as in pokemon that exceed the weight limit but can only be used in the region where you caught them, so I could use a haxorus or something but only in paldea since that's where I caught it
  • If you REALLY want to stick with the idea of a carry-on weight limit, clear your bag of all items before each time you travel between regions and start fresh in the new region
  • Try keeping your starter on your team for as long as possible
I've put a lot of thought into this, but it truly is a space for people to play in and share ideas about, which is why I've posted it as a discussion rather than a challenge. If someone else wanted to start it up as a challenge, I would have no problem with that, and if folks just want to throw out ideas to make it more interesting, I'd love to hear them!

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen yesterday
I know this is way late, but I want to ask now that the admins' have had time from the forum migration.

Have badges been completely removed? Is there any point posting in the "Hall of Fame" thread now?

Years
  • Age 47
  • Seen yesterday
Animelocke

I thought of these rules: Capture any six pokemon in wild and starter (no legendaries etc because they above humans )- no pokecomputer use.
No pokecentre healing because it is a hospital and your pokemon is
No item etc use in battle. No limit outside battle
Fainting and loss of all PP is basically serious injury and you in mourning so game over..
Play the game in one go with no saving. No experience share. No other limits.
I think a mod to gain health and PP over time would be fine.
Would it work with your favourtie Pokemon game assuming the experience share is rejectable requirement ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
I know this is way late, but I want to ask now that the admins' have had time from the forum migration.

Have badges been completely removed? Is there any point posting in the "Hall of Fame" thread now?
Hello, and sorry for the very late response.
There is currently no badge system as we know it in XenForo and we have been having some discussions about if and how how to implement one - unfortunately it will still take some time.

That said, you can still post your achievements in the Hall of Fame thread and record your progress as usual, and you could still have a link to your Hall of Fame post in your signature. That's how the thread has always worked in the first place!

Years
  • Age 47
  • Seen yesterday
I tried Animelock on Pokemon Fire Red- you just have use Bulbasaur with Pirdgey and Pikachu for seeding wild Metapod and Kakunas to level up all three. Bulbasur has to get Level 12 at Onix to make his limited vinewhips count. Of course the game is brutally grindy and makes me certainly wish I know how to use mods to speed it up.

Back