• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Indie Games

Years
  • What are some of your favorite indie titles?

Here are some i enjoyed in the recent years:
    - Axiom Verge (very nice metroidvania, visually very similar to NES metroid but with modernized (and actually enjoyable) gameplay)
    - Shovel Knight (Great game, feels like a megaman/ducktales mix)
    - Hollow Knight (Very atmospheric, unique visuals. Nice world design. Quite difficult!)

something I'm hyped about:
    Cross Code (will be released this year)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I don't play too many Indie games

Psychonauts is my favorite

I also liked Undertale a lot, and I don't think it deserved to be discredited as a game because of it's fan base.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Don't play much indie games, but probably Penumbra games, Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Soma. frictional games can be considered indie technically

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I also liked Undertale a lot, and I don't think it deserved to be discredited as a game because of it's fan base.
    Absolutely, I can't understand it in general when people let fanbases/other people's opinions of a thing ruin their enjoyment of something, and it's so sad to me when I see some people not even giving it a chance because of that.

I was making a list earlier (more so for recommendations) going through my games on Steam, but most of these happen to be indie anyway so I'll list them here:
    • To The Moon - I think this might be one of my favourite stories of any medium, not just video games; it's super well written and the fact that it still has emotional pull for me despite how many times I've played/seen it played really says something (I'd actually say it gets better on subsequent playthroughs because of how the story moves backwards - you pick up on more subtle details and hints towards the past early on in the game that you would not have noticed the first time you see them). It's light on the gameplay, but I adore it so much for its story. Soundtrack is also top-tier, it's probably not something for everyone since most of its tracks are just slower/melancholic piano pieces, but that's right up my alley so I love it.
    • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - it's described as a "co-op in single player", which was a really interesting concept for me; basically you control both brothers and help them work together in an adventure/puzzle type game, where each of your hand plays one brother. Good story/OST is always a plus for me. I also love how there is not a single word of English the entire game (all interactions are based on their made-up language), but you still know exactly what is going on through gestures and facial expressions alone.
    • Thomas Was Alone - quirky puzzle-platformer, it's fun to play but the main draw is the narration and "characters", a bunch of actual squares and rectangles that the narrator manages to give so much personality.
    • The Stanley Parable - I don't know where to begin in describing this game but its commentary on game design and rules within games is great. "When every path you can walk has been created for you long in advance, death becomes meaningless, making life the same. Do you see now? Do you see that Stanley was already dead from the moment he hit Start?" - it simultaneously points this out and also challenges the idea, so it was really fun to try to "break" the game. It's not all so pretentious, it's also full of just really silly and lighthearted moments, and the sassy narrator that comments on everything you try is also excellent.
    • Papers, Please - it sounds mundane as hell (and maybe it is) but I really enjoyed the border crossing immigration inspection life in Papers, Please. I don't know if there is any way to make it sound exciting, but there's something really tense about racing the clock every day to clear as many people for entry as possible so you can make ends meet and feed your family in a bleak, dystopian communist country setting. It also has a cool overarching story and multiple endings depending on the choices you make, whether you want to help the country be a better place for the future or just keep your head down and quietly stamp passports for the rest of your life and cause no trouble.
    ...I didn't mean to write an essay but yeah those are some of my favourites

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2024
    "Deponia" for the story, "Ark Survival Evolved" for the multiplayer gameplay

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    I usually don't play these, but I really have grown to love Death Road to Canada. Quite a feat, since I don't like zombies at all, yet I love the rogue-like nature of this game, along with its dark comedic edge.

I am quite looking forward to it coming to Switch too. I have a lot of people I can finally play with too.

Years
  • Minecraft, i am really suprised no one have mentioned this game here.
    I used to enjoy this game quite a lot tbh.
    I was even putting different types of skins into my character.
    I think this game has something more than being an addictive game.
    I used to play this game at 2010-2017 (that doens't even matter even if i quited the game, i still think it's a good indie game to have fun).

Back