• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] (SWC) The One Who Drags Me

Years
  • Author's Drabble - As per what I think I'm notorious for at this point

The One That Drags Me​

Pop, gulp, toss…pop, gulp, toss… My afternoons have regressed into a drinking game, which isn't fun with just a single player. I sit outside on the grass and watch the sun slowly crawl across the patchwork of the sky, and if I go blind or stupid from inebriation in the process, then hallelujah, I can pretend that I'm living a nice life.

Today, though, I drink by the river downhill, sitting on a flat rock and watching the water run by with a trail of foam like a bridal train. I'm not sure why, exactly, but it at least gives me something slightly more interesting to stare at then the farmland which actually failed at its only job, like me. I remember a time when this same river was filled to the brim with water-types, feeding the forestry and wild pokémon alike as one of father earth's subsidiaries. Now, edging the river on either side is dirt, maybe even complimented by rocks that same river spits up. Sometimes, sea glass surfaces on the bank, and though I have no use in collecting them, I find myself picking them up and sitting them next to me. The sun has just begun to set and I've three separate piles of green, gold, and orange when a voice comes from behind me.

"Collecting jewelry, are you?" He pushes the glass away to seat himself next to me on the rock, elbows on the legs of his dirt-stained jeans.

"Why do you care? Also, fancy seeing you here with that appearance."

"Same to you," he replies. His eyes narrow at the bottle in my hand a second before he snatches it away. "Really? This is what you've been wasting your time on?"

"Time is something I've got an abundance of, so I don't believe I can really waste it. This is a hobby."

"Then your hobbies suck." He overturns the bottle and lets it drain into the river.

"Well, you just ruined somebody's day."

"Add them to the list." He drops the bottle to the grass with a sigh. "What's happened out here, huh? It's nowhere near as enjoyable as before."

"That's one way to put it."

"Then what's the other way?"

"Life sucks," I tell him. "And that's being nice." He falls silent, letting his eyes drift over the expanse of barren earth.

"Remember?" He doesn't need to finish the sentence. It's almost the only thing we ever speak about these days.

"I remember when the end of ages was just a thought," I sigh. "Just some paranoid shit stuck in the back of our minds."

"Most of our thoughts are paranoid," he amends.

"Remember…when the first pokéball was created?"

"Interesting time," he replies.

"Interesting? Really? That's all you can say?"

"Sorry, I'm not that used to speaking. We don't talk as much as we used to."

"Talking…yeah, I don't think we ever did that." I flick a piece of glass into the water with a plop.

"Well, as we've both seen, things change."

"That's an understatement. Back then, when Team Rocket was the biggest threat in the Kanto region? That was a change for a world that hadn't seen much more than snot-nosed ten-year-olds becoming Champion."

"And then a snot-nosed ten-year-old ended Team Rocket. What was his name again?" he wonders aloud.

"Red. Pokémon Trainer Red, soon to become Pokémon Master Red. Yet their influence continued on to the Johto region to be stopped by Pokémon Trainer Ethan."

"Yet another snot-nose," he sighs. "And that Ethan kid caught Ho-Oh and Lugia—shame on them. And meanwhile, in the Hoenn region…"

"Team Aqua attempted to drown the world with Kyogre," I supply, "to be stopped by Pokémon Trainer Brendan. Soon afterwards, Team Magma attempted to dry out the lands with Groudon, to be stopped by Pokémon Trainer May."

"Your memory is obnoxious, do you know that?" he grumbles, giving me a side-eyed glare. I just laugh at him, and in the process I realize that this little memory lane trip has me feeling better than I had in years.

"You laughed," he says with a smirk. "Mission accomplished."

"So you hopped from your pedestal simply to cheer me up?" I put a hand to my heart. "I'm touch. Truly, my soul sheds astonished tears."

"Not that you aren't making me regret it," he huffs, sliding from the rock to the muddy water at the bank. He takes off his shoes and walks into the center of the stream, standing against the powerful waves even as they attack his waist. He cracks a small smile, so small that had I not known him as I do now, I would've missed. "But this, the time beyond time, is very lonely, you know? No pokémon, no people, just an endless expanse of nature and what's left of society." He looks past me to the sun, squinting a little at the light. "I wonder sometimes if we'll end up going away too, and I've been letting that thought sit for so long I decided that if it does happen, hell, I'll get one more chat in with my old adversary."

"Chatting isn't something adversaries often do."

"Then call us rivals," he amends easily, kicking a wave at me that just wets my bare feet. "We push and shove each other but we can also sit down for a good ol' talk whenever we want to. Sound good?"

"Sounds better than what I've been doing so far."

"Yeah, what have you been doing? Drinking yourself into a stupor for what?"

"So I don't have to face everything," I tell him.

"Still." He wades across the remainder of the river to the opposite side, putting a few yards between us, then he turns to face me again. "It was Cyrus, wasn't it?"

"What?"

"That tried to rip the universe in two." He says it in a manner that makes me doubt that he actually has forgotten. I don't know how he could've anyway, even if he doesn't have my memory.

"And was stopped by Pokémon Trainer Lucas the first time. Then with another attempt, he opened a portal to the Distortion World and was defeated by Pokémon Trainer Dawn."

"Blecch," he complains. "The Distortion World."

"And then the surfacing of Team Plasma in Unova was quelled by Pokémon Trainer Hilbert."

"And they came back two years later and were beaten by Rosa," he says.

"So you know that one."

"'Course. Why wouldn't I?"

"No reason. Remember when Team Aqua and Team Magma made their returns?"

"Along with Mega Rayquaza and Armageddon," he grunts.

"I wonder," I say slowly, "what it would have been like if that meteor was humanity's downfall."

"Painful," he says immediately. "And we wouldn't still be here."

"That's not too much of a bad story."

"Really," he says dryly, but also with the tone of someone who's thought about it more than once. "Our story wasn't so dramatic. Life just ran its course, and now it's finished. Done with. Now there's just space and time and that vague sense of balance Giratina prides itself upon. But," he continues, "the end of an age can mean a new one is beginning. New people, new pokémon, new lands and new adventures…"

"I thought you were here just to talk about old times?"

"Mostly," he concedes. "But I also want to see you stop wasting your too-long life out here and look. The sun remains," he says, pointing, "and so does the moon. It's from eternal things like that that legendaries come from, aren't I right? And as long as legendary pokémon exist, so can a region, so can life."

"Just because it can happen—"

"See, this is why you need me!" He's back on the rock in a second, standing over me imposingly. "You're so weighed-down by your burdens that you can just barely crawl! I don't have nearly as great a hold on time as you, but I know the weight of the universe just the same. So here I am, your better half, to drag you along."

"That's really what you'll call yourself? The one that drags me?"

"If not me, then who else?" he smirks. Then he offers his hand, startling me. "There's loss in time passed—you know that way better than I ever could—but there's also gain in the future. Instead of staying here and moping about which came first, Arceus or Mew, or about when the evolutionary line ended at pidgeot, let's go see what the new world'll look like. Huh, Dialga?"

"Hmm… You've never failed to interest me, Palkia, so I'll indulge you." I grab his hand and he pulls me to my feet. "I say the new legendary will be of the moon."

"I say that it'll be of the sun. Fight me over it?" he challenges, energy rippling from his temporary form as his eyes flash pink. I crack my knuckles as the life flows through me.

"I'd love nothing more."

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I have to admit that I actually skipped past the ORAS part of the story when I realised that the plot wasn't *exactly* like RSE because I haven't played it (lol). But I think the gist of your fic got through, and I do think this was one of the pieces with the most exciting settings this year.

I'm pretty interested in eschatology, so I generally enjoy stories dealing with the time after time (or after humans), and I think in this piece I felt a sort of strange, empty peace in the world that wasn't so barren as to be dead and didn't breathe so much as to be alive, if that makes any sense. For me at least, the setting was one of the standout characteristics of this fic, and it complemented the characters nicely in that they were just there effing about after the end of the world like they didn't give a damn (and rightfully so).

On the other hand though, I didn't care much for the plot, not that that was a big deal of course because I'd sort of pegged this as more of a mood piece rather than a story-driven piece, but still I do feel like some parts were lacking in the nostalgia department. For example, a large part of your dialogue is dedicated to the two "retelling" the events of the games; however, their presence in this particular narrative thread doesn't actually contribute much to viewing these events from a different perspective–or even to the development of their own characters. They're deities, I get it, and their feelings of detachment to human affairs come with the territory, so this is all logically consistent. But because they act like they don't care (for the most part), there's not much nostalgizing going on.

Basically, I just don't see why Dialga should be cheered up by their reminiscing because he doesn't really indicate that any of it should be a big deal (also because he was mostly uninvolved); so the end falls flat because if nothing was a big deal then I don't see why something new should be. Palkia is a more interesting character because, while he doesn't have much of an opinion on anything, he's got a reason to tell the story (i.e. motivating Dialga).

On the plus side though, if you strip away the nostalgia, this is a very, very good story about the boredom of deities when there's nothing left to do. The whole story and setting really sets up how Dialga's bored and the only way to get rid of his boredom is by creating a new universe. So it's not quite nostalgia as it is boredom that's the focus. Nevertheless, I do think that's a pretty spectacular perspective which works really well with the empty-but-not-yet-dead world that I really liked from earlier. It's like there's this vast, fertile canvas missing only the one, tiny little spark of motivation to breathe life into it. For me, that's a beautiful story right there.

So in the end 10/10 setting but there were some extraneous bits of plot that I felt were better left out (though I get that it would entirely defeat the purpose of the prompt so it's understandable that that's the case).

Bay

Years
  • Been doing this with the other SWC entries, copy/paste my comments in spoilers and then adding a few things.

Spoiler:

Before expanding this review, I read Miz En Scene's comments and they seem to feel the same in terms to relevance to the nostalgia prompt. Depsite me feel a tighter focus on that, this is actually one of the more enjoyable entries I've read storywise overall. True the two were more or less retelling, but their reactions were amusing and I still enjoy the twist at the end. Going to point out a few favorite parts and such.

"Time is something I've got an abundance of, so I don't believe I can really waste it. This is a hobby."

"Then your hobbies suck." He overturns the bottle and lets it drain into the river.

This part I chuckled.

"Then call us rivals," he amends easily, kicking a wave at me that just wets my bare feet. "We push and shove each other but we can also sit down for a good ol' talk whenever we want to. Sound good?"

"Sounds better than what I've been doing so far."

I smiled at this part. Guess it's because I like that kind of good natured bickering as I mentioned.

"Hmm… You've never failed to interest me, Palkia, so I'll indulge you." I grab his hand and he pulls me to my feet. "I say the new legendary will be of the moon."

"I say that it'll be of the sun. Fight me over it?" he challenges, energy rippling from his temporary form as his eyes flash pink. I crack my knuckles as the life flows through me.

Yes, let's fight which is better, Lunala or Solgaleo. = P

Back