• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Likes and Dislikes of Gen V Pokémon

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    One dislike I've had in my head for awhile is the ability sturdy on basic form pokemon like Roggenrola, where it's just an annoyance and just prolongs the things death, they should of changed it so only 1st or 2nd evo's get the ability.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I don't see the similarity between those two at all :( Only thing that relates is the circle thing in the middle of their face. XD Either way, Roggenrola is cute, but I don't really like its other evolutions - especially its last evolution from which the name escapes me at the moment. Roggenrola needs moar love as a whole since it's kinda forgotten imo because of Boldore overshadowing it.~

Last edited:

Cid

Years
  • I don't see the similarity between those two at all :( Only thing that relates is the circle thing in the middle of their face. XD Either way, Roggenrola is cute, but I don't really like its other evolutions - especially its middle evolution from which the name escapes me at the moment. Roggenrola needs moar love as a whole since it's kinda forgotten imo because of Boldore overshadowing it.~

I guess they aren't really that similar, with each being based on different things (Gohma on arthropod larvae and Roggenrola on geodes). But I think Roggenrola's design is nice, better than its evolutions, in my opinion. It also reminds me of Magnemite, which I didn't think of as ugly at all.

For other Pokemon, I think the design of Gen V as a whole is a mixed bag. But I think many have already focused on the bad ones in this thread, so I'll go say some that I think have nice designs based on official art: Lillipup, Roggenrola, Woobat, Sewaddle, Venipede, Petilil, Foongus, Joltik, Litwick, etc.

It seems most of the Pokemon designs from Gen V that I like come from unevolved Pokemon, though there are exceptions. Excadrill, Fraxure, Sawsbuck and Reuniclus look good to me. :)

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Simipour can be a female though :(

;__; Yeah I know, they're pretty awesome to start out with, buuttt the hate comes from being fire/fighting, not pure fire. People would've liked that. XD (Or fire/ground)

Hmm I wish Simipour has a higher chance of being female (it is like 1/8th female lol), and the others stick to being mostly male. But either was they all have horrible designs and I don't see myself ever really using them :(

Roggenrola is so fricking awesome next to geodude
    524.png
    74.png
    Wow what an improvement :D

ceremony

rah rah
    Years
  • I don't like the lack of pure types. Ice-types were my favorite, and the ones they added actually took away from the group.

It was really hard creating an Unova-only team, let me tell you that.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Why have you got lots of screenshots of Hydreigon being in love with Pokemon, lol. It's like you're purposely making it fall in love with everyone to use it for your own purposes!

...Anyway, I don't really love Hydreigon. I find it hilarious in the musicals, though! But like Deino and Zwelious, I forget they get confused and often get them mixed up with Haxorus' line due to the names.

lol, confused, I meant I forget they exist. :(

Years
  • Why have you got lots of screenshots of Hydreigon being in love with Pokemon, lol. It's like you're purposely making it fall in love with everyone to use it for your own purposes!

...Anyway, I don't really love Hydreigon. I find it hilarious in the musicals, though! But like Deino and Zwelious, I forget they get confused and often get them mixed up with Haxorus' line due to the names.

I used the TM Attract and it makes Pokemon fall in love with mine. I find it cute that Pokemon think Hydreigon is a cutie~

I think Hydreigon is moreso pretty than cute.

King Gumball

Years

• ...Anyway, I don't really love Hydreigon. I find it hilarious in the musicals, though! But like Deino and Zwelious, I forget they get confused and often get them mixed up with Haxorus' line due to the names.

lol wut? XD I forget about those names. Zweilous.... ew. I always remember they exist though, just because I think they look rather unique, like there is no Pokemon with a vaguely similar design. I wish they played a bigger part ingame though :(

ProGuava

ʇnoɥs puɐ ʇsıʍʇ
    Years
  • They have to be running out of ideas and I give them credit to creating 156 "unique" pokemon, but some of them bother me...vanillice???? really?

King Gumball

Years
  • They have to be running out of ideas and I give them credit to creating 156 "unique" pokemon, but some of them bother me...vanillice???? really?

That is what heaps of people were saying ages ago, but you will honestly get used to the designs :3 they are just different, but after time you will start to like them (i used to hate the ice cream line but now i <3 them). There are plenty of great designs anyway
    528.png
    586-spring.png
    Take these two for example :3

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020

That is what heaps of people were saying ages ago, but you will honestly get used to the designs :3 they are just different, but after time you will start to like them (i used to hate the ice cream line but now i <3 them). There are plenty of great designs anyway
    528.png
    586-spring.png
    I'd have to agree. Just think about how many ideas they think through as well as needing to think of and create for a whole 100+ set of Pokémon, all for another generation. It may be pretty difficult, and if you think about it, if you want to get the game at a faster rate while still having the great features they bring in to experience, you're going to have to accept some of the designs, somehow. :o Not going against anyone's opinion on any of the Pokémon, but it's sort of my reasoning for not really caring too much about the design of some introduced.

Cute, cute. :)

Years
  • I myself have gotten used to a lot of the Fifth Generation Pokemons' designs. Especially that of Reuniclus. I thought it to be poorly designed, upon seeing it for the first time, but Reuniclus has really grown on me, and it's now one of my 3 favorite Pokemon. Another 5th Gen Pokemon that has grown on me, would be Beartic. At first, I thought it to have a horrid design, and today, I realized how great it looked. The coloring, the expression on its face, everything about it, I just love.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

528.png
    586-spring.png

Yeah I know when they were announced all at once at the leaks period just before the release in Japan, I was disappointed tbh. Cottonee & Petilil were the only ones I liked at that point besides the ones that were already released. XD;

(Well a few others, but as a whole, those two stood out the most, or stand out the most in my memory at least)

They have to be running out of ideas and I give them credit to creating 156 "unique" pokemon, but some of them bother me...vanillice???? really?

It's actually called Vanillite. :)
    Vanillice... would make for an interesting Pokemon. XD

I used the TM Attract and it makes Pokemon fall in love with mine. I find it cute that Pokemon think Hydreigon is a cutie~

I think Hydreigon is moreso pretty than cute.
    'cept they don't really! Poor fooled Pokemon...

Prettyyyyyy? I can't really consider Hydreigon pretty, if anything, uhh, awesome imo? Though awesome isn't really the right word to use, but yeah. But! Each to their own. :3

And Karpman I meant to quote you but apparently I didn't! Agreed on Reuniclus, though it's not one of my favourites. What matters is that I found it ugly at first and didn't know how anyone could like it and now I love its design. I change my mind so easily. :(

King Gumball

Years

• I'd have to agree. Just think about how many ideas they think through as well as needing to think of and create for a whole 100+ set of Pokémon, all for another generation. It may be pretty difficult, and if you think about it, if you want to get the game at a faster rate while still having the great features they bring in to experience, you're going to have to accept some of the designs, somehow. :o Not going against anyone's opinion on any of the Pokémon, but it's sort of my reasoning for not really caring too much about the design of some introduced.

Cute, cute. :)

Yeah for most of them I sort of forced myself to like when the games release was nearing in Aus. And once I got the game ans started playing with these pokemon it became so easy to start to like most of them :D

I myself have gotten used to a lot of the Fifth Generation Pokemons' designs. Especially that of Reuniclus. I thought it to be poorly designed, upon seeing it for the first time, but Reuniclus has really grown on me, and it's now one of my 3 favorite Pokemon. Another 5th Gen Pokemon that has grown on me, would be Beartic. At first, I thought it to have a horrid design, and today, I realized how great it looked. The coloring, the expression on its face, everything about it, I just love.

At first I wasn't too interested in Reuniclus too, but then I started to really like it once I saw Solosis. That is until someone mentioned it looks like a human fetus... now I can never look at it the same :/ Like it that comment has just stuck with Reuniclus whenever I see it XD I still like it though, just not as much as before.

Yeah I know when they were announced all at once at the leaks period just before the release in Japan, I was disappointed tbh. Cottonee & Petilil were the only ones I liked at that point besides the ones that were already released. XD;

(Well a few others, but as a whole, those two stood out the most, or stand out the most in my memory at least)

For me it was more Whimsicott and Cottonee and...Sawsbuck. I wasn't too interested in any of the starters or Zorua or Gothitelle and Reuniclus (the first bunch iirc)

~Touko

Haxorus Breeder ~ #1 Axew Fan
    Years
  • Surprisingly, I actually like lots of this gen Pokemon designs. There are only a few I frown upon that do not tickle my fancy...:

Liepard - I saw Purrloin and caught it, excited to see what it would evolve into because it was so cute and was quite disappointed. The colorings a bit odd and its just not what I was expecting at all.

Darmanitan - This one is more of a personal opinion, I loved Darumaka, it was a very fun fire Pokemon to work with but its big armed, scary faced evolution just made me want to cringe.

Heatmor - Something about this design did not go well with my senses. It just isn't eye popping like the others.

Garbodor - One word. Horrible. The shiny is okay but he is just...trashy. No. Just, no.

I also found there are some that I am REALLY impressed with:

Elgyem and evolutions - VERY creative and cute all in one. I don't think it reminds me of any other previous Pokemon in the other gens like most do.

Axew and evolutions - Simply gorge. (gorgeous) Perfect colors, adorable first evolution and strong second and third evolutions.

Cubchoo and evolution - Not sure how these two are in the battle field, but I have to say once I saw that cute little cub with a snotsickle dangling out of its nose, I fell in love. I also like Beartics arm positionings, it makes me want to hug him. :3

Accelgor - Completely shocked at this one, its SO great! Its looks, shiny form and the way its as fast as a ninja? Genius!

Pawniard and evolution - GREAT Pokemon. In battle and out. Sick sprites.

Trubbish - I hated this little guy at first site but eventually warmed up to him. He is so cute <3 But I still hate his evolution. :p

Gothorita - I since some Kirlia in this one...

Vanillite and evolutions - So sweet, cold and yummy! Adorableness! *.*

Sawsbuck and seasons - EPIC.

Frillish and evolutions - Jell-0! <3

I am also VERY impressed with the legendaries and event Pokemon in this gen. LOVE them. <3
    I also have a soft spot for every single Pokemon in B&W's shiny form!
    The shiny sprites this gen are simply jaw dropping!

The_Evil_Weavile

used Ennui
    Years
  • Rayquaza is the only legendary I was ever attached too, and that affair ended when all of my games were stolen. ;_;

Since starting B/W though, I find them distasteful.

Back