• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Likes and Dislikes of Gen V Pokémon

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
The movesets for Mienfoo & Mienshao line are somewhat limited. If they didn't got rid of Iron Tail, Mienshao could've been a good Defense reducer, despite Iron Tail's accuracy.
And Druddigon... Its arms and claws look strong enough to at least learn a punching attack, in which it can't unfortunately. I wished Druddigon can learn Brick Break...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well idk, the only punching attack I'd see of use (competitively, considering dragon > steel, yeaaah) would be like Fire Punch but even so, at least it has Fire Fang, I guess? :(

Tachikaze

九番隊 // Earth-Severing Wind
Years
SAVING FROM DEATH, YEAH.

Is it just me or is Scolipede one of the most awesome yet not too awesome Pokemon in-game (other than Bouffalant!) Cause I was just playing through and really, Scolipede and Bouffalant look like they're out for revenge or something really.

Scolipede got progressively cooler and cooler the longer I played with one. Probably the best Bug type in Gen V aside from Genesect/Volcarona.

Years
  • Seen Feb 26, 2012
I only Like a few of this GEN.
Serperior
Zebstrika
Swanna
Braviary
Hydregion
Zekrom
That was my team on my first play through.

I didn't like the Legendaries in this game, I mean Reshiram and Zekrom are fantastic, much better then the 3rd gen legendaries, but the others are a bit rubbish =\

2ND GEN <3

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Scolipede got progressively cooler and cooler the longer I played with one. Probably the best Bug type in Gen V aside from Genesect/Volcarona.
Yes! Scolipede is one of the best Pokémon this generation (in my opinion of course), especially because I used it on the first team I created. I had a lot fun using it throughout the game and mainly because it dominated so many Pokémon. 8) The design, its moveset, its animation, stats, everything about this bug type is so pleasing. Scolipede's flaws just don't matter to me! u_u I don't really see the appeal in Genesect, especially since I've never used one and can't.

Also I disagree with Forever, Scolipede can never not be too awesome.

o b s e s s e d p o s t f t w

Years

Yes! Scolipede is one of the best Pokémon this generation (in my opinion of course), especially because I used it on the first team I created. I had a lot fun using it throughout the game and mainly because it dominated so many Pokémon. 8) The design, its moveset, its animation, stats, everything about this bug type is so pleasing. Scolipede's flaws just don't matter to me! u_u I don't really see the appeal in Genesect, especially since I've never used one and can't.

Also I disagree with Forever, Scolipede can never not be too awesome.

o b s e s s e d p o s t f t w

I agree with you, it's an awesome Bug/Poison-type and in Black mine got a good nature (Adamant). I am so proud of him cos Adamant is great for physical attackers and I sometimes train him.

Years
These are my dislikes of Gen 5. Trubbish and its evolution weren't really decent Pokemon. And another Fire/Fighting evolution? Why wasn't Oshawott's evolution line were Water/Fighting types? Since they are based off of samurais, according to Bulbapedia. You even see Samurott pull out its sword in 3D Pokedex, which made me think it should of been a Water/Fighting type.

Last edited:
Years
I think some of them look a bit wierd, but I think it's because in this generation, they purposely went for different style influences with each Pokémon. They went for a Japanese style for some, American style for some, and a Chinese style for others.

I mean, you could argue that it represents the multiculturalism of the Western world, since Unova is based on America, but sometimes it can be jarring.

In Kanto and Johto, though they all looked different, they still had that same sort of "feel" to them.

Regarding Emboar and it's typing, I think they design a lot of Pokémon concurrently and then decide which should go into the current game meaning they still have a lot of already made unused designs.

Considering how similar it is to Infernape, I propose that it may have been a contender for Gen 4. I mean, you have Fire/Fighting type that doesn't match up to the single typing of the others, it has similar influences design-wise, like the golden swirly armoury things..

I think that they didn't make the other starters part fighting type because it would have clashed with having Fighting-type legendaries in the Musketeer quartet, Virizion being Grass/Fighting and Keldeo being Water/Fighting (even if we haven't officially been able to get Keldeo yet)

Since the other two are Rock/Fighting and Steel/Fighting, there was no risk of clashing with a Fire/Fighting type.

It bugs me sometimes when a starter strays from the pattern, but then again we do have to think in-universe about this, and in-universe those Pokémon didn't spring up in the wild JUST to become our starter types, they're just chosen because of their similar ease of training and evolutionary path.

Autobot Silverwynde

Automaton Protector
Years
Not a fan of Gollett, or kling an its evolutions. Munna has flowers on it and Musharna looks like a fetus for goodness sakes....
O.O

But...but...but...Golett's so cuddleful and adorably cute! It just begs to be snuggled and hugged and spoiled rotten.

You'll have to forgive me; I adore Golett and Golurk. They are, hands down, my favorite Pokemon ever. I've been looking for some decent robots for a long time and Gen V delivered. (Though Musharna is just freaky. Ever see that thing on PokeDex 3D? It. Opens. Its. Eyes! Words cannot describe the horror.)
I really hate Throh and Sawk. They just look too stupid. Good for battles, suck at art.
I must be the only one who will admit to outright loving Sawk. He's adorable. Now, before you stare at me like I have a live lobster crawling out of my ear, hear me out.

I didn't like Sawk. At all. I thought he looked ridiculous and stupid and I swore I would never have him on my team. Then I got Black and realized that I needed a Fighting type to take out Lenora, as I had chosen Oshawott. So I hit Pinwheel Forest and tried to catch a Sawk.

After losing five balls and cursing loudly, I caught him, took him to Nacrene and let him run wild over Lenora's gym. My Sawk didn't even break a sweat during that battle and he was under-leveled! After that, I went from, "Man, you are one ugly little cuss" to "Eh, you're not so bad" to eventually "Ah, you're so cute and I love ya!" And thus, my love of the pure Fighting Type was born.

The only Pokemon I can say that I dislike are Patrat and Emolga. Patrat is just everywhere and an annoyance. Emolga got ruined thanks to Elesa and stupid Volt Switch. After that battle, I never wanted to see another Emolga again, ever.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Didn't like that there were no branch evolutions, but I guess that means we might see some branch evolutions to the Gen V Pokémon in Gen VI or later. Definitely something to be excited about.

Otherwise, I really enjoy the new collection of Pokémon in this generation. I don't dislike any of the designs. Great job, Game Freak!! :o)

dash!

Epic
Years
They don't look like... Pokemon anymore.
The first couple generations, they actually looked like something you would see in the woods. Not too fancy and over the top with nonsensical features. Just plain... superpowered.. animals.
Now they look more like something I would see in an acid trip.

What did I like? They had Pokemon based off of some of my favorite animals:
Otter.
Zebra.
Polar bear!!
Meerkat.

Speaking of meerkats, I've been wanting to get Emboar, then get Watchog, and participate in double battles in which my first two Pokemon will be those too. Their nicknames Timon and Pumba, and it will be so fun. :3

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
Speaking of meerkats, I've been wanting to get Emboar, then get Watchog, and participate in double battles in which my first two Pokemon will be those too. Their nicknames Timon and Pumba, and it will be so fun. :3

Lion king is overated >_>

The Pokemon I will forever hate is Purrloin. Its design is boring, its a ****** rehash of Glameow, and its stats are ****, making it impossible to train.
I like most of the newer Pokemon. I wasn't a big fan of the Starters due to their designs, but now I love Snivy and Oshawott. I also love Zoroark. The second I saw him, I fell in love almost immediatly.

Years
I used to hate Archeops cos of its ability, then I tried one out in Black and he helped me notch up a few wins. He is a great Acrobatics user and was the first Rock-type I ever used on my team plus he serves as my Fly slave.

My Archeops is now Level 87 and I remember that day when I obtained him as an Archen. His ability may be terrible but that didn't stop me training him. Mine has Fly, Acrobatics, Earthquake and Rock Slide for his moves and he has a Quirky nature.

Archeops is downright awesome.

I remember seeing Hydreigon for the first time and I thought "it looks so cool". I caught myself a Deino and I evolved her into Zweilous, she was still a Zweilous when I took on N and the Elite Four but I never gave up on her and after beating a wild Pokemon on Route 11, she finally evolved and I've been proud of her since. Hydreigon is a total beast, awesome typing and great movepool. I might have to be up to the challenge of raising a bred Deino with Dark Pulse someday.

Also, when I saw Elgyem and Beheeyem for the first time, I was wondering what they were based on and then I discovered they were based on aliens (which is very interesting). They look so cool even though their Speed was terrible. I then saw Marriland use one in his Pokemon White video playthrough and once I finish training my Gothitelle, I might consider using my Beheeyem. Beheeyem is a beast on Trick Room teams. It may be slow but it has Special Attack power close to that of Reuniclus. Maybe when my brother gets up to Nimbasa City in White I might consider getting a Solosis traded over and raise it. Unova had awesome-looking Psychics.

Solodomo

Psychic Trainer
Years
  • Seen May 5, 2012
[SIZE="a"]No you're not the only one. I dislike some of this generations appearances too. Not all of them though.[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Back