• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Likes and Dislikes of Gen V Pokémon

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Hmm...I like 'em
    it's their NAMES I hate...

Wargle->Braviary
    Chillarmy->Minnecino or whatever

the Legendary Pokemon don't get renamed because they try to make names that translate the same over every language

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    615.gif
    620.gif
    611.gif
    632.gif

Let's rate some Pokémon I don't really hear about that often anymore!

615.png
    Cryogonal
    I'm not sure what Nintendo had in mind for this Pokémon to be exact, but I guess there could be worse. This Pokémon has an...interesting design though. I'm not entirely sure what to say about Cryogonal for the most part. :s

620.png
    Mienshao
    Mienshao has a decent design, and in some ways it looks to me like a mixture between Espeon and Farfetch'd. The split tail and colors for Mienshao just give off a sense of Espeon, and the stick in its mouth resembles the one Farfetch'd has. I've seen people use this Pokémon competitively so I'm sure it's not too bad when it comes to battling as well.

611.png
    Fraxure
    Next is Fraxure, the middle evolution of Axew and Haxorus. It doesn't really resemble the two much at all (aside from the mouth piece). I can see it evolving into Haxorus as it does though, but it doesn't really appeal out of the two for me. Not to say that it has a bad design, but overall alright.

632.png
    Durant
    Last is Durant, one Pokémon I barely see trainers within the games have (or maybe I'm missing something?); an ant Pokémon. I have to say, the design given for Durant isn't really bad at all, and for its small size it sure does have some decent stats. :P Again, not much to say about this Pokémon really.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2020
    I love Snivy just cuz it looks so smug xD

But I absolutely HATE Stunfisk, it looks like such a downey lolz

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • 615.gif
    620.gif
    611.gif
    632.gif

Let's rate some Pokémon I don't really hear about that often anymore!

615.png
    Cryogonal
    I'm not sure what Nintendo had in mind for this Pokémon to be exact, but I guess there could be worse. This Pokémon has an...interesting design though. I'm not entirely sure what to say about Cryogonal for the most part. :s

620.png
    Mienshao
    Mienshao has a decent design, and in some ways it looks to me like a mixture between Espeon and Farfetch'd. The split tail and colors for Mienshao just give off a sense of Espeon, and the stick in its mouth resembles the one Farfetch'd has. I've seen people use this Pokémon competitively so I'm sure it's not too bad when it comes to battling as well.

611.png
    Fraxure
    Next is Fraxure, the middle evolution of Axew and Haxorus. It doesn't really resemble the two much at all (aside from the mouth piece). I can see it evolving into Haxorus as it does though, but it doesn't really appeal out of the two for me. Not to say that it has a bad design, but overall alright.

632.png
    Durant
    Last is Durant, one Pokémon I barely see trainers within the games have (or maybe I'm missing something?); the other spider Pokémon. I have to say, the design given for Durant isn't really bad at all, and for its small size it sure does have some decent stats. :P Again, not much to say about this Pokémon really.

Awh. Cryogonal and Fraxure are two of my favorites. Cryogonal is a snowflake that can harness its shininess to focus beams of DEATH RAYS upon its foes... Like a mirror :P And Fraxure is cute.

But, Durant is an ant, not a spider lol

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I love Snivy just cuz it looks so smug xD

But I absolutely HATE Stunfisk, it looks like such a downey lolz

I honestly hope you don't mean what I think you mean - and I'm just going to pretend you mean it's sad (for the good of you, that is). If you don't, know that it is inappropriate.

lol Cryogonal has a weird animation. Actually ew, it makes me think it's eating its own mouth is that even possible? At first I couldn't really tell what its mouth was like most others, but really now... it's waaay too rare. Maybe if it was a little less rare it'd have a bigger fanbase, because unless they're completing the pokedex, they ain't gunna come across it easily and therefore have a negative opinion of it, which is what I noticed. :(

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Eh, the design for Stunfisk is definitely not one of the best for this gen, but it does give me good laughs. Laughing is a good medicine you know. ;)

Musashi

Nope, that's not me
    Years
  • I quite like them with my favorites being the Vanillite, Litwick, Snivy, Rufflet, and Gothita lines.

The ones I dislike are Trubbish/Garbodor and Stunfisk. Really now... Stunfisk is such a derpy Pokemon and its cry sounds like someone breaking wind. It's like a friggin' whoopee cushion Pokemon! And... I don't get why it's Ground/Electric, either.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah I think that's why they designed that animation, just to make it laugh at us which is laughing at you.

...what am I saying? I mean so you can laugh at it. XD; Honestly now, it's not that bad considering what it's based upon and its tail which faces upwards is meant to be like that, sooo.

About Stunfisk, that is!

Autobot Silverwynde

Automaton Protector
    Years
  • After playing Black for a while, I've found most of the generation alright.

Though...
    Have these grown on anyone?

538_throh_front_norm.png

539_sawk_front_norm.png

They certainly haven't grown on me...
    :raises hand:
    I admit it; I adore Sawk. Absolutely, positively adore him. He is awesome sauce. And this comes from someone who has never used a pure Fighting type. Every last one I've ever used has been a half-type and usually a Starter. So when I hit the second Gym, my hand was forced and I had to grab a good Fighter. Mine ended up being Sawk. He nearly murdered my entire team when I tried to catch him and he became my main powerhouse for most of the game. I love him to pieces.

Not as fond of Throh, unfortunately. Though I think he looks kinda cool.

I wasn't fond of Golett's design at first, then I took a good long look at it and it hit me: it's basically a robotic toddler. Seriously, look at it--short, stubby limbs, rounded body. It's a small, robotic child. When I realized that, I completely fell in love with it. Hands down it's one of my absolute favorites. I love it and Golurk; who wouldn't want to get ferried around by a giant robot? :)

As for dislikes, I've found that I'm not terribly fond of the Gothita line and I don't like the evolutions of Tympole or Timburr. Tympole and Timburr are cute but when I see their evolved forms I flinch a little.

...I also have to fight the urge to wipe Cubchoo's nose. Gross.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    Before playing I hated most of the designs and I was -like most people- ranting about it all the time!
    but then WOW I was wrong! in fact I found that I like a lot of the designs I used to thinkg they suck. this did not happen to all pokes though..

pokes I'll forever dislike:

that rubbish poke, it's ugly =/

Cryogonal: dunno what to say about this it's just.. uggh @@ & scary!
    Stunfisk: no comment
    the legendary cloudy trio, they scare me
    Vanilluxe: not bad, but icecream? really?..
    Emboar: enough with the fire fighters nintenndo! Blaziken is cool and he's enough! then they added the monkey I hate so badly and this ugly pig >_>
    Watchog: not appealing to me <\3
    Conkeldurr and all it's evos: they are scary and ugly.. specially the seconf and last evo

Designs I LOVE:
    definitely the 4 doggy legends, they rock =)
    Volcarona, great add to fire types at last!
    Sawsbuck: so cool and makes me wanna drop at Starbucks.
    Cincci and Mincci: you just can't hate them x3
    Braviary: great design, makes me wanna say: here I come my american dream!!
    Mienshao: my first ever pure fighting type, really good and unique desing, not as bulky as other fighters

generally all the other pokes are fantastic

Years
  • I didn't like many of them until I saw their animations. Cofagrigus, Scraggy, Klinklang, etc... their animations give them a lot of "soul".

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    I hate them.
    They are more or less the same thing, but they call it 2 species, and they aren't even in the same evolution line.
    Similar to Hitmonchan & Hitmonlee.
    Gen VI - Throh/Sawk pre-evo with another evo, I'm calling it right now.

After playing Black for a while, I've found most of the generation alright.

Though...
    Have these grown on anyone?
    Spoiler:

Meh, they're alright.
    Especially when you consider that they look like Bert & Ernie.
    Spoiler:

LegendaryFSK

I control my own fate.
    Years
  • I like many others didn't like many of the designs from B&W at all at first. After playing through Black, many of the designs have grown on me, to the point where some of become favorites of mine from any Gen.

Favorites
    - Scraggy/Scrafty
    - Zorua/Zoroark
    - Mincinno/Cincinno
    - Axew
    - Hydreigon
    - Virizion
    - Terrakion

- Oshawott
    - Tepig
    - Excadrill
    - Archen/Archeops
    - Gothitelle
    - Emolga
    - Victini
    - Fraxure/Haxorus
    - Rufflet
    - Larvesta/Volcarona
    - Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus
    - Reshiram
    - Zekrom

Now...for my dislikes...some I just don't like and others, I absolutely hate the designs of them.

Dislikes
    - Musharna
    - Roggenrola
    - Woobat & Swoobat
    - Frillish & Jellicent
    - Klink, Klang, & Klinklang
    - Cryogonal
    - Stunfisk (absolutely hate this design)
    - Trubbish (absolutely hate this design)
    - Garbodor (absolutely hate this design)
    - Cobalion

All the others...I'm pretty neutral on.

Last edited:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I like many others didn't like many of the designs from B&W at all at first. After playing through Black, many of the designs have grown on me, to the point where some of become favorites of mine from any Gen.

Favorites
    - Scraggy/Scrafty
    - Zorua/Zoroark
    - Mincinno/Cincinno
    - Axew
    - Hydreigon
    - Virizion
    - Terrakion

- Oshawott
    - Tepig
    - Excadrill
    - Archen/Archeops
    - Gothitelle
    - Emolga
    - Victini
    - Fraxure/Haxorus
    - Rufflet
    - Larvesta/Volcarona
    - Reshiram
    - Zekrom

Now...for my dislikes...some I just don't like and others, I absolutely hate the designs of them.

Dislikes
    - Musharna
    - Roggenrola
    - Woobat & Swoobat
    - Frillish & Jellicent
    - Cryogonal
    - Cobalion

The one in Big font is my problem. I mean the names of these Pokemon show no creativity. Also to evolve into a Klinklang, Klang must have one piece of body part added onto it. This is just as bad a Dugtrio

:t354:TG

Years

Favorites
    - Scraggy/Scrafty
    - Zorua/Zoroark
    - Mincinno/Cincinno
    - Axew
    - Hydreigon
    - Virizion
    - Terrakion

- Oshawott
    - Tepig
    - Excadrill
    - Archen/Archeops
    - Gothitelle
    - Emolga
    - Victini
    - Fraxure/Haxorus
    - Rufflet
    - Larvesta/Volcarona
    - Reshiram
    - Zekrom

Dislikes
    - Musharna
    - Roggenrola
    - Woobat & Swoobat
    - Frillish & Jellicent
    - Cryogonal
    - Cobalion

I think stunfisk shows creativity, it's based off a real life sunfish, something that's never been seen in any RPG I played.

Darmanitan scares my little cousin. <She seems to think he's hiding under her bed at night.>

Alomomola is another original (see Stunfisk)

Bisharp's my new power ranger esque chess piece icon.

Who knows what Meloetta (Pirouette form) is supposed to be. Ballerina, maybe?

I also like Vanilluxe: the double sundae Raditz: Double Sunday! lol

Years
  • One thing I hate is just Psychic-Types in general from GenV. I want my Alakazam back with his Speed. D: Nearly anything can outrun the new Psychic-Types with their low Base Speed Stats.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I think stunfisk shows creativity, it's based off a real life sunfish, something that's never been seen in any RPG I played.
    Stunfisk is supposed to be based on electric rays, flounders or sand dabs. Alomomola is the one who's based on a sunfish. Out of the two, I like Alomomola's design better, though I wish it had been Luvdisc's evolved form.

Back