• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Help against Cynthia

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2022
    Hi,

Although I'm a big Pokemon fan, I've never played the Original Pokemon Brilliant/Peal games. So I was pretty much surprised how easy the game is, till I was confronted with Cynthia after beating the Top4 easily.

I am currently stuck and tried a few times beating her with the following team:

Dialga Lv 58
    Torterra Lv 63
    Graveler Lv 61
    Golduck Lv 58
    Medicham Lv 56
    Jirachi Lv 62

Yeah. I am fully aware that this team is not a perfect mix of different types, however the game felt so easy to play and therefore I just wanted to try some other Pokemons I would never play with.

With this team I have big problems with Milotic, because Ice Beam defeats Torterra with one hit and I do not have a real counter against water without it. Lucario is also tough, but manageable.

However defeating Garchomp is impossible for me so far. It is defeating each of my Pokemon one hit with earthquake, except Torterra. But Torterra only survices one Dragon Claw after Swords Dance - only possible strategy would be giving Torterra potions till Garchomp is out of PP, which is however not my claim to win with tactics like that.

Can you recommend a strategy with this team to beat Cynthia or do you think that I do not have any chance and should stop trying and come back with a other team?

Edit:

After watching some Youtube Videos I chose a very special strategy:

I started with Torterra against Spiritomb. I enhanced Torterra with X-(Special) Defense, X-(Special) Attack, X-Speed and Dire Hit + some potions in between. With this items i was able to knock out even Garchomp with one earthquake. (Gastrodon with Gigadrain). However the toughest one was Milotic, which had survived one earthquake, however with those X-Defense I was also able to survive one Ice-Beam. However I got a critical Ice-Beam hit from Milotic in my first try, which was pretty annoying and I had to restart.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hi,

Although I'm a big Pokemon fan, I've never played the Original Pokemon Brilliant/Peal games. So I was pretty much surprised how easy the game is, till I was confronted with Cynthia after beating the Top4 easily.

I am currently stuck and tried a few times beating her with the following team:

Dialga Lv 58
    Torterra Lv 63
    Graveler Lv 61
    Golduck Lv 58
    Medicham Lv 56
    Jirachi Lv 62

Yeah. I am fully aware that this team is not a perfect mix of different types, however the game felt so easy to play and therefore I just wanted to try some other Pokemons I would never play with.

With this team I have big problems with Milotic, because Ice Beam defeats Torterra with one hit and I do not have a real counter against water without it. Lucario is also tough, but manageable.

However defeating Garchomp is impossible for me so far. It is defeating each of my Pokemon one hit with earthquake, except Torterra. But Torterra only survices one Dragon Claw after Swords Dance - only possible strategy would be giving Torterra potions till Garchomp is out of PP, which is however not my claim to win with tactics like that.

Can you recommend a strategy with this team to beat Cynthia or do you think that I do not have any chance and should stop trying and come back with a other team?

Edit:

After watching some Youtube Videos I chose a very special strategy:

I started with Torterra against Spiritomb. I enhanced Torterra with X-(Special) Defense, X-(Special) Attack, X-Speed and Dire Hit + some potions in between. With this items i was able to knock out even Garchomp with one earthquake. (Gastrodon with Gigadrain). However the toughest one was Milotic, which had survived one earthquake, however with those X-Defense I was also able to survive one Ice-Beam. However I got a critical Ice-Beam hit from Milotic in my first try, which was pretty annoying and I had to restart.

A little late, but did you manage to beat her? I also had a very average team (things like Mothim, Purugly, and Lumineon) that wasn't full of already-tough Pokémon and struggled a lot. I ended up flying to Celestic Town, entering the Grand Underground, and going to the Dazzling Cave area nearby to train on the lv. 50s that appeared there. Got myself to around 65-70 and went back to fight her with the same team. Still lost a few times, but in the end I did win... with some friendship effect luck. You can absolutely win with a team like that, but I think you will probably either need to train more or get very lucky with the friendship bonuses.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2022
    Hi,

thanks for your reply.

Yes. I beated her with my described Tactis using those "X-" Items with Torterra. Without them I wouldn't have any chance against Garchomp, which could knock out nearly every Pokemon from me with one hit - deadly because it is faster too.

However it's quite a bad balanced game. Everything is super easy and than you get surprisingly stuck. Maybe it is easier if someone has chosen the water starter und has Ice-Beam against Garchomp.

Haha...and yes. Those friendship bonuses are quite a funny thing in this game :-D

Years
    • Online now
    Maybe it is easier if someone has chosen the water starter und has Ice-Beam against Garchomp.

Empoleon would get Earthquaked, and Cynthia's Garchomp has a Yache Berry to mitigate one Ice type move. So Torterra is actually the best starter for it since Garchomp is full physical, has nothing super effective against it, and Torterra has good physical bulk.

Well, as you've figured out Cynthia's team is vulnerable to set up sweeping. Her Spiritomb is a bad lead that gives you plenty of opportunity to boost your stats (watch out if you do the rematches though, because it gets better with Will-O-Wisp). Her Milotic is also very defensive oriented, giving you another chance to set up before Garchomp arrives.

If you allow yourself using X items, there's allways plenty of options. Otherwise Golduck with Amnesia or Calm Mind could have done something (Cynthia's team are mostly Special attackers). Trick Room, which Dialga and Jirachi can learn, could potentially be a good counter against half of her team as well.

azurefel

l o a d i n g: 15%
    Years
    • He/Him Them/They
    • USA
    • Seen Jan 3, 2024
    first tine fighting Cynthia i take it?~

no one dares asks that question if they haven't played the original ;)))

Years
  • Yeah, uh, I am sure I'll have a bad time when I get to her. I plan to use those x-items as mentioned, possibly even just level up a bit.

Back