• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Pokémon Trading Card Game Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2015
    I just finished 1st in another local tournament. Getting 5 packs for $5. Pulling a Coblion Ex and Scramble Switch.

Either way since this is the 2nd/3rd time i did really well with my VirGen deck. People were joking around about building fire decks just for me. lol. Though atm like 70% of the decks are Fairy, some dark decks, 1 plasma, and 2 BKE decks.

I find it funny that they would tech fire for me specifically, when most of the local metagame is Fairy.

Good random thing is i was able to trade for a FA Juniper.

Years
  • I just finished 1st in another local tournament. Getting 5 packs for $5. Pulling a Coblion Ex and Scramble Switch.

Either way since this is the 2nd/3rd time i did really well with my VirGen deck. People were joking around about building fire decks just for me. lol. Though atm like 70% of the decks are Fairy, some dark decks, 1 plasma, and 2 BKE decks.

I find it funny that they would tech fire for me specifically, when most of the local metagame is Fairy.

Good random thing is i was able to trade for a FA Juniper.
    Well, if you're winning, they gotta counter what wins! :P

Years
  • Charizard is just going to lose to yveltal and fairies i imagine.

Well probably. Then they'll realize their folly and go back to whatever they were running before.

On a different topic, something about the way the Pokemon Center nurse looks on this card just weirds me out...

displayimage.php

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2015
    Idk i really like it. I'm close to trading or buying one just to have.

Years
  • Well probably. Then they'll realize their folly and go back to whatever they were running before.

On a different topic, something about the way the Pokemon Center nurse looks on this card just weirds me out...

Yeah, I have to agree with you, she's a bit… creepy looking.

DarkLordGiratina

The Doctor
    Years
  • Hey guys I just stayed getting into the TCG and I was wondering if i could get some oppinions on something: should I start out by buying some decks or should I buy booster packs First?

I don't know a lot of people that play in real life but a couple of my friends play the Online version so that's why I'm curious, because with booster packs I can increase my online cards ( I guess I could with decks too but then I am restricted to getting the cards that are in the deck)

Years
  • Hey guys I just stayed getting into the TCG and I was wondering if i could get some oppinions on something: should I start out by buying some decks or should I buy booster packs First?

I don't know a lot of people that play in real life but a couple of my friends play the Online version so that's why I'm curious, because with booster packs I can increase my online cards ( I guess I could with decks too but then I am restricted to getting the cards that are in the deck)

In my opinion, it's better to buy theme decks when you're just starting out. You get a LOT more cards for your money/tokens, even after taking out the energy (which you don't need online because you get an unlimited supply), you'll get lots of cards that go together (namely, evolutions. There's nothing more frustrating than getting an awesome stage 2 from a booster, and not being able to use it because you don't have a basic/stage 1 to go with it) and you also get a free 10-card booster for winning 12 matches with it in the Trainer Challenge, and it's a lot easier to build a deck from a theme deck than to build from scratch. Knowing what you're getting can be an advantage too - if there's a specific card you want and it's available in a theme deck, you're better off buying that deck than buying booster packs and hoping you get it. You could easily spend more on boosters than you would on a single theme deck and not get the card you're looking for.

And don't discount the cards that are in theme decks just because they're in a theme deck - Theme decks all have at least one or two really good, useful cards. The main deck I use right now - which has beaten the pants off a lot of more powerful decks as long as I don't make stupid mistakes (my strength is definitely more creating strategic decks than actually playing strategically) - is a modified Solar Strike made up almost entirely of cards I pulled from other theme decks, including the basic colour decks you get just for signing up, and Rallying Cry, which you can get for free (as many times as you want) with the promo code plasmablast.

At the very least I'd say, any time you want to build a new deck, look at the existing theme decks and pick one or two that use the type (and if possible, the strategy) that you want to use. If you don't know what type of deck(s) you want to build yet, get a variety of theme decks with different types and strategies and see what works for you.

Last edited:

DarkLordGiratina

The Doctor
    Years
  • In my opinion, it's better to buy theme decks when you're just starting out. You get a LOT more cards for your money/tokens, even after taking out the energy (which you don't need online because you get an unlimited supply), you'll get lots of cards that go together (namely, evolutions. There's nothing more frustrating than getting an awesome stage 2 from a booster, and not being able to use it because you don't have a basic/stage 1 to go with it) and you also get a free 10-card booster for winning 12 matches with it in the Trainer Challenge, and it's a lot easier to build a deck from a theme deck than to build from scratch. Knowing what you're getting can be an advantage too - if there's a specific card you want and it's available in a theme deck, you're better off buying that deck than buying booster packs and hoping you get it. You could easily spend more on boosters than you would on a single theme deck and not get the card you're looking for.

And don't discount the cards that are in theme decks just because they're in a theme deck - Theme decks all have at least one or two really good, useful cards. The main deck I use right now - which has beaten the pants off a lot of more powerful decks as long as I don't make stupid mistakes (my strength is definitely more creating strategic decks than actually playing strategically) - is a modified Solar Strike made up almost entirely of cards I pulled from other theme decks, including the basic colour decks you get just for signing up, and Rallying Cry, which you can get for free (as many times as you want) with the promo code plasmablast.

At the very least I'd say, any time you want to build a new deck, look at the existing theme decks and pick one or two that use the type (and if possible, the strategy) that you want to use. If you don't know what type of deck(s) you want to build yet, get a variety of theme decks with different types and strategies and see what works for you.

Thanks :) I will definitely get a themed deck to start off with then :)

I'll probably be posting some decks by the end of the weekend in the Deck review thread, hopefully I can start getting further in the online tournaments :p (right now i lose on the first round :p)

Years
  • Thanks :) I will definitely get a themed deck to start off with then :)

I'll probably be posting some decks by the end of the weekend in the Deck review thread, hopefully I can start getting further in the online tournaments :p (right now i lose on the first round :p)

Also, forgot to mention, before you pick a deck, if you don't know about it already, go to bulbapedia and type in the name of a theme deck to see it's deck list and card specs (helps in narrowing down what you want ;)). You can also type in "Theme Deck" to get a list of every theme deck ever released, as well as player-created championship decks (if you need some inspiration or ideas about creating competitive decks).

Years

In addition to Inkblots's suggestions, try finding a physical league near you here: https://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/find-an-event/

There may also be unregistered leagues near you, but they don't get prizes. I know there's 4 registered in my area (Twin Cities), as well as a 5th one that's still ongoing but that is no longer a registered league, so there's bound to be more than just the four if you're in the same area I am.

Years
  • Didn't even notice that announcement, thanks for posting! So excited, this is the first time that I'll actually be able to take part, I'm usually busy or can't guarantee that I won't get interrupted halfway through a match.

update:

Won my first tournament! Just a theme tournament, since my deck is not really tournament-ready (though I might try it out later just to see what happens) and for some reason I seem to make stupid mistakes with my modified-format deck more often than I do with the theme decks it's based on :/

And I didn't realize that the boosters you win are tradeable, that makes it even more exciting!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2015
    I ended up playing a few. I got first in my first unlimited (on accident), second one i got DCed like 2 turns before i was going to win 1st. Next tournament i drew dead for 5 turns and lost to BKE. On my 4th tournament so far in the "finals." These guys take forever to finish matches.

Got 6 packs so far, and from the only pack i Opened i got a FA virizion Ex so im it was a good day.

Edit:
    And drew dead again in the finals...

Last edited:

Pharetra

zzzz
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    What do you guys think of Empoleon/Dusknoir in the current format and the next one? I feel like playing my beloved penguin, but I'm not sure how well it will fare in this meta with all the ridiculous basic Pokémon flying around.

Years
  • At least the time limit is significantly shorter than regular matches haha. I couldn't believe how slow some of the players are, at one point my timer was at 11 min and my opponent was at 4! If only he'd been a bit slower and I would have won lol XD Lost on the first round in my 2nd tournament because of dead pulls (even though I tweaked and tweaked my deck specifically so that WOULDN'T happen, and of course this would be the first time since my last tweak a couple of weeks ago that I have that problem *grumble*) and on the first round in my 3rd because of two stupid decisions in a row followed by dead pulls *headdesk*

At least with the wheel at the end of matches you have the chance at better prizes even if you lose, and you still get tons of tokens just for participating, I think I got about 80 in total.

Last edited:

RandomHype

Explosive Explosion
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    I participated in about 10 torneys, winning none. Though, I exploited the fact that:
    The 4 ticket tourney gave boosters to you if you won only one round
    You could leave a tourney early and participate in another if you lose, and still be awarded prizes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back