• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Whoops, I fumbled on the terminology there XD

All I can remember is that one time, one of my teachers from high school logged into the presentation computer in the classroom (the one that's hooked up to the projector), and it wasn't connected to the network (because you had to run a wire across the floor). The teacher tried accessing their My Documents folder, but couldn't, so that's how I figured out that the teacher accounts used network attached storage.

That's not what they meant by network-attached storage ;) (NAS is a single unit of storage that can be accessed over the network. The on you're describing is "accessing a network folder over a network connection", which might be in an actual computer.) /tryingtokeepthings simple

*starts planning about getting a 4 TB external*

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Wireless hard disk drives?

Do you mean network-attached storage? They can be accessed over the network. (I prefer directly-connected external HDDs, if only because they're very speedy, and can be accessed with standard backup utilities.)

Ahh how did I slip up on this. We run them at work all the time. I guess I was more looking at just wireless drives. Something similar to this, but I don't know if you have to use the software or not.

Not having to use usb and drag and drop all my projects from laptop to drive, drive to pc, pc to drive etc etc is my main reason. But I don't think there are many on the market at the moment. But using an NAS would mean it's not as portable as I'd like (I have to travel a lot). Welp, you can't win them all.

Years
Did I ever tell y'all about my old laptop's battery going bad? Well I had to boot it up yesterday to retrieve a file off of it, and I watched it go from 12% to 100% lmao

I just hope that my new laptop's battery doesn't wind up like that soon

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Did I ever tell y'all about my old laptop's battery going bad? Well I had to boot it up yesterday to retrieve a file off of it, and I watched it go from 12% to 100% lmao

I just hope that my new laptop's battery doesn't wind up like that soon

Most current-generation laptop batteries are rated for at least 800 full discharge (100% to emergency hibernation) cycles. You'll be fine - it's probably more likely that some other component fails first, or the laptop itself becomes obsolete.

Years
Sometimes I wish my phone had a notification for when it goes into battery saver mode, that way I'd at least know to charge it.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Sometimes I wish my phone had a notification for when it goes into battery saver mode, that way I'd at least know to charge it.

Your phone does have a critical battery notification. It's just that it's set at 10% of full capacity. (It's a much better idea to charge your phone whenever you can.)

Last edited:
Years
Oh, it does then? I've had it die on me without a notification in the past, but maybe because I just had it on vibrate only at the same time. Other than that, I think I saw it sitting at 20% last night when I caught it in Battery Saver mode. I don't charge it every night just to exercise the battery.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Thing is, you probably shouldn't worry about exercising the battery during normal use for a modern lithium-ion battery. Just use it without worrying too much about its state. Your battery and your sanity will thank you for it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Speaking of phone batteries, sometimes, mine would just randomly overheat itself and lose charge completely. Used to think that Skype was the cause of it, but I no longer have it installed on my phone, though, and the issue keeps popping up again every once in a while. :( Should probably consider getting this battery replaced.

Years
That reminds me, but somehow my mother's PS4's battery also seems to have expanded past its contraption and doesn't fit into the console anymore :p she's looking to replace it sometime in the future though.

Onto another topic, though: does anyone have any LCD devices with dead pixels? My mother's Nintendo DS (that I am currently borrowing for the GBA part of it) has several dead pixels.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
None of the devices I currently on have any dead pixels.

I think I probably should get the laptop serviced anyway once I get back. The rubber sealing around the screen bezel edge and the top lid edge managed to come off.

Years
Ugh, found out this morning that my iHome no longer wishes to charge either of my iPods -.- it will still time-sync between the devices and play music off of them, just not charge them

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Ugh, found out this morning that my iHome no longer wishes to charge either of my iPods -.- it will still time-sync between the devices and play music off of them, just not charge them

By "no longer wishes to charge", do you mean that it doesn't supply power, or do you mean that the devices are stuck in "Not Charging" (a state where power goes to the device, but there isn't enough of it to charge the battery)? (I suspect it's the latter.)

Tried rebooting all involved devices?

Years
For one, it's happening on all of my iPods, and my parents' iPhone 4s (not 4Ss) as well, so I doubt it's the devices. It has to be the dock jack, I'm sure.

Zet

Years
Malwarebytes V2 has officially been released sporting a new UI, and a few other features. In-app update will be released next week, or you can download the installer and install it on top of your current installtion(it's new path gets rid of the ' from the previous folder, and it will move all the settings over to the new folder, and remove the old folder).

Something else to note; it's now a subscription module, but previous users who have the lifetime license will get to keep their lifetime.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
It's probably a loose cable in the dock. It's those loose cables that tend to put an early end to a dock's life.
And that's Apple for you, pretty much.

I like how my Samsung Galaxy Reverb (SPH-M950) is oddly resilient with those sorts of things. My father, being an overall lunatic, stomped on it with his boot and it almost stopped holding a charge (not to mention a huge crack in the screen), but it's been fine as of recent. And the screen's not got one of those cutting cracks, so it's safe to roll over with your finger. ;)

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Apple makes durable laptops. I once accidentally sat on a classmate's MacBook Air while sitting on a chair because everyone forgot about the laptop in a group outing.

Phones, not so much. :3

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Speaking of phone batteries, sometimes, mine would just randomly overheat itself and lose charge completely. Used to think that Skype was the cause of it, but I no longer have it installed on my phone, though, and the issue keeps popping up again every once in a while. :( Should probably consider getting this battery replaced.

My phone battery is a beast. I am using a ZeroLemon 9300 mAh replacement battery/rugged case combination and it easily lasts two to three days under pretty consistent usage. One day around when I first got it, I got 14 hours of screen on time XDD

Years

Which phone model? The HTC Sensation has a known issue with the drivers for the battery failing after a period of time, causing the phone to constantly report it is low on power and shut down even though the battery itself is perfectly functional. I had to RMA my phone for this exact issue last summer. Actually still using that battery with no such issues anymore to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back