• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Favourite gym leader of Unova (and least favourite)

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    Roxie is my biggest fave, she's pretty cool. But can't pick a least favorite. All of the gym leaders were okay to me.

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
    Years
  • I'll choose for Cheren and Lenora.Like SleepyTrainer, I can't pick a least Favorite since all Unova's Gym Leader has great role more than just a Gym Leader

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Elesa is hilarious but I think Iris is my favourite. :) Now at least! She's super strong and useful in-game. Natural leader and thankfully eventually got Champion.

Roxie is my least favourite though. She's just... not that interesting to me lol I didn't really like the addition of her. Maybe it's just Virbank I don't like, I dunno. Didn't really like where she was, or what she did. No problems with the rest (even the Striaton brothers aren't THAT bad, and Lenora isn't THAT bad either). Just feels like she doesn't fit in with Unova y'know? Others probably don't feel the same but that's ok lol

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Elesa is my favourite Gym Leader. What a babe - a hilarious one at that. I think Burgh is my least favourite?

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Clay has some good quotes, but it's hard to choose against Elesa's awesome (original) design. Plus, her gym was pretty unique. I like 'em all though. Aside from the trio, all of them had some part in the game's story.

Years
  • My favorite gym leader is Drayden, even though I don't think he was a hard gym leader. The honor of most difficult I reserve for Clay, but Drayden is my favorite because he has a more likeable personality, especially his increased role in Black 2/ White 2 as he defends his city from nuclear winter and holds the key to Kyurem's transformation.

I suppose since there is often an absence of parents in the Pokemon world, fathers in particular, I love seeing characters who take on that role in a positive way, whether it is a biological father like Norman or someone like Drayden who is a father to the community.

I like his relationship with Iris, and as dragon lover myself I identify with her and can imagine Drayden being my mentor too. I also think he has the coolest gym layout of all, crawling across the body of a dragon made my dream come true.

As for a least favorite I would probably have to say Brycen. He is presented as a serious, intuitive ninja-like figure, not the most original gym leader concept but ok. However, making him also a movie star just seemed like a random detail they tacked on to make him less generic, unlike Elesa, a believable character whose work in the modelling industry defined everything about her down to her gym layout. I don't hate Brycen or any of the Unova leaders, I just don't think his character was as developed as he deserved to be, which is why he is my least favorite.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Favorite gym leader is by far Elesa, I did like her personality and how she was introduce in the game. Her team is also nice ( those damn emolga am i right?)

Least favorite gonna be Brycen. Ntohing against him, but he got the Pryce's syndrome, you beat the crap out of his team and you forgot he was a thing all together.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2018
    Unova has the best set of gym leaders, hands down.

12. Cheren - Lenora was so much more interesting. Normal doesn't mean bland. 4/10
    11. Cafe Trio - Generic as their signature pokemon. Nice to have a trio though. 5/10
    10. Drayden - Reminds me of Drake, a forgettable Dragon-type leader, with a decent design. I do like the vs sprite pose with his glove. 7.5/10
    9. Iris - I'm a sucker for her big hair and petite frame, fits the overall dragon type aesthetic well and in a unexpected way. Though, I still never fully saw her as "dragon" type. 7.9/10
    8. Clay - Nice western design and theme. I also like that turquoise detail. 8.5/10
    7. Brycen - I like his cold stoic demeanor, and interesting take on ice type. Plus that kimono and hair are amazing. 8.6/10
    6. Lenora -She has the best pose with her finger saying "hold the phone". I love her blue afro and cape. The only thing I wish they did differently is give her Bouffalant (it seems like he is made to be her signature pokemon.) 8.9/10
    5. Skyla - She's so pretty, but still has a unique design. That hair-pin shaped like a airplane propeller is just the right touch without over doing it. Also love the red and blue color combo. 9.25/10
    4. Marlon - So pretty as well! I love is sparkling contrasted hair with dark blue and bright cyan. And in general his tan with the bright cyan suit is quite appealing. The suit's fin details are super slick. 9.5/10
    3. Burgh - I don't really know why I love him. I love his gym design and the direction they took with art and geometric shapes and insect physiology. The structured pinstripe pants and flouncy hair just works perfectly. Definitely he was meant to use Leavanny, who bows formally during battle and has slick leaf attire. The mix of quirky and sleek/formal is what it is about this design. 9.75/10
    2. Roxie - Finally a musician as a gym leader, and a rocker chick no less! Her bleached white hair and blue/fuchsia striped shirt and accessories works perfectly with her poison typing. Not to mention she performs for you during her gym battle. (And that scolipede-horn shape guitar!) 9.9
    1. Elesa - The best of all gym leaders in all regions! She exudes electric type with her laid back attitude and stunning beauty. Her headset looks good when she has blonde or jet-black hair. I love the yellow black striped cutout body suit, black leggings, and red/blue headset accents with cables. Though, her fur coat apparently from a mareep or flaaffy, with a spiky (ampharos-like) headset is also insanely well designed. The diamond pattern black hair also ties in Zebstrika's mane. She just hits every pose perfectly. [Sorry, I'm obsessed with her. She's in my top 3 favorite characters with Cynthia and Lusamine.] 10/10

Years
  • My favourites were Elesa, Roxie and Marlon. It was mostly for their designs but I also liked their personalities. Elesa has one of my all-time fave designs of a Gym Leader, while I loved Roxie for being the first non-Kanto Poison-type Gym Leader (coupled with that awesome Gym of hers) and Marlon since well, he uses my favourite type and has another great Gym design.

Least fave? Probably Clay. I mean, he feels too much like a stereotypical American which does fit Unova but still, I find him very well... eh.

Back