• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poem of the Week 5

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    A lot of members are busy returning to school, so they're probably don't have the time right now to participate in a forum contest.

Or maybe this prompt just isn't striking a lot of people with inspiration.

Just relax and don't panic that the Poetry section is going to die. You're still getting posts here, so there is some interest in poetry as a whole.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    I forgot about the school thing.
    And I'm not a bit worried about this section.....yet.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    Or maybe this prompt just isn't striking a lot of people with inspiration.
    Oh... I'm really sorry I did not choose an inspirational theme. :'(

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    I'm sure it won't die.
    I'd say it's more like on hiatus, due to the school year starting.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • People just don't seem to appreciate Poetry anymore.
    Ha ha, I'm not sure about that. There might be many people...like me who like poetry but don't really post here much due to different reasons. They may lurk but won't post. I, for example ,really, really appreciate poetry but never really write it. As a result, I haven't really posted here anytime. In fact, this is my first post in this section, it seems.

But yeah, I'm surely gonna enter this contest. If not this week, then another time. Won't be leaving it, though. Might as well try even though I know I suck. XD;

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Hope so, although it wasn't really popular through July either.

People just don't seem to appreciate Poetry anymore.

It was never popular, I knew that before I started it up again last year. I never expected it to be, but, it exceeded my expectations when I hosted it, I had 8 and 9 entries some weeks which was astounding, it went that way for a while too until I susiqeuntly left the forum for some time. It's not that people don't appreciate poetry, it's just that poetry isn't the most desirable art form, especially with kids which take up the majority of this forum. When I hosted Poem of the Week, Poetry was a sub forum which did not include Pokémon related themes either, it used to have it's own sub-forum while Poetry was stuck in Other Writing.

For most, poetry is also very time consuming, so at times people are not jumping at making an entry when they might have a lot else to do. Especially with school going on now. My advice is just to be lax about it and let people get entries in at their own time, even if it means passing the deadline but be sure to keep people informed. But like any art form, you need to be patient.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Oh... I'm really sorry I did not choose an inspirational theme. :'(
    You can't really blame yourself with the prompt. What might be inspirational to you might not be to someone else. I came across the same problem when the main forum had a story writing "contest" based around prompts. Some prompts got a lot of entries. Some prompts didn't. You can't really guess.

Besides, Poem of the Week has been going on for over a year. That's pretty darn good for a subforum that no one "appreciates" anymore. There will be some weeks where you do only get two or three entries, and there will be weeks where you'll have so many entries you trip over them.

Like Gav said, just relax and let POTW run its course. Right now, things are slow. But I'm sure that they'll pick up to normal once school/work/real life calms down for everyone.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    Like Gav said, just relax and let POTW run its course. Right now, things are slow. But I'm sure that they'll pick up to normal once school/work/real life calms down for everyone.
    I second that.
    Activity in things sometimes runs in cycles, in a way.

Ayselipera

Time for some advertising!
    ;D Expect a few more people to sign up, ok?

I suppose that's not a bad idea, but I think a lot of members know this sub section is here. It's just that not everyone likes to write poetry, especially within the age group of PC members. I think the Poetry section actually gets a pretty decent following. Some weeks are slower then others, but that's really just due to the interest in the theme.

It can actually be a bit shocking how in one week you may only get two entires and in the next seven people end up participating.

Missingno.7-4468

The Kazuka Party is for curry!
    Years
  • Well, I FINALLY made something. Just a freehand, but I still like it.

Kaos​
    Spoiler:

And yes, the title is spelled like that on purpose. To emphasize that it is the original Greek meaning of the word "Chaos." (Which was essentially nothingness)

Gardenia101

Official Lurker
    Years
  • Last edited:

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    You can't really blame yourself with the prompt. What might be inspirational to you might not be to someone else.
    I can't really help, but blame myself for this. I talked to some people about this theme and they did tell me that it was quite a plain theme. Maybe people today aren't that sad anyway. XD

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    That's okay. It will pass by.
    And thanks for your entry, Missingno.7-4468.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    The entries are now officially closed!

This week's theme may have been a little slow this time. But like I said, it'll pass by.

Back