• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ℜªℳ

RAM Corporation |\/| ][ |\/|
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2016
In my crystal when I replaced a sprite with that of another which was devamped my friend told me which monster I replaced and why its ok just from looking at the finished sprite. He said that different sprites like rattata and lugia have different total limits and can only be replaced with something else in those limits unlike in GBA games with unlz or some repointing can be done. What are those limit? I thought all sprite have mximum limit to a 64x64 square. How do I change those limits to input almost 200 different size 64x64 sprites?

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
In my crystal when I replaced a sprite with that of another which was devamped my friend told me which monster I replaced and why its ok just from looking at the finished sprite. He said that different sprites like rattata and lugia have different total limits and can only be replaced with something else in those limits unlike in GBA games with unlz or some repointing can be done. What are those limit? I thought all sprite have mximum limit to a 64x64 square. How do I change those limits to input almost 200 different size 64x64 sprites?
Your friend could be talking about one of two things. First, if the filesize in bytes of the image you are inserting is greater than the filesize in bytes of the image you are overwriting, you will definitely have problems because your new sprite will overwrite extra data besides the original sprite. You can get around this by repointing the image to free space. I believe AGIXP does this automatically (having never used it myself; it seems to be incompatible with my computer); if you use gfxinsertermeoth, the program simply puts it at whatever offset you specify, so you'll need to change the pointer manually.

The other possibility is that your friend was talking about image dimensions. Each Pokémon species has a byte in the stats that determines the height and width of the image (in tiles). For instance, at offset 0x051424 in Crystal, Bulbasaur's stats:

01 2D 31 31 2D 41 41 16 03 2D 40 00 00 1F 64 14 05 55 00 00 00 00 03 17 26 1E 3D C4 86 18 45 00

The 0x55 means that Bulbasaur's image is 5×5 tiles, or 40×40 pixels.

Last edited:

ℜªℳ

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2016
Your friend could be talking about one of two things. First, if the filesize in bytes of the image you are inserting is greater than the filesize in bytes of the image you are overwriting, you will definitely have problems because your new sprite will overwrite extra data besides the original sprite. You can get around this by repointing the image to free space. I believe AGIXP does this automatically (having never used it myself; it seems to be incompatible with my computer); if you use gfxinsertermeoth, the program simply puts it at whatever offset you specify, so you'll need to change the pointer manually.

The other possibility is that your friend was talking about image dimensions. Each Pokémon species has a byte in the stats that determines the height and width of the image (in tiles). For instance, at offset 0x051424 in Crystal, Bulbasaur's stats:

01 2D 31 31 2D 41 41 16 03 2D 40 00 00 1F 64 14 05 55 00 00 00 00 03 17 26 1E 3D C4 86 18 45 00

The 0x55 means that Bulbasaur's image is 5×5 tiles, or 40×40 pixels.

Yeah that was it ()the second one, each image has a specific height and width but can you change this or say my devamps of platinum after being resized don't add up to these widths, would I have to repoint them or shrink them? If so, how does manual repointing work? Is there any tutorial close to a "step to step" which shows how to manually repoint pointers?
Your answers have been very useful every time so thank you very much! :D This is probably your level of expertise, I'm guessing...

Ice Lightning

Ya realy like that alien movie
Years
I have a question, (sorry if this has already been asked but I can't find it)
How do I make new folders for maps in Advance Map? Sorry if this is sort of a n00bish question but I'm well... I'm a n00b at this XD
Thanks in advance!

Dratii

Working on something new...
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
I have a question, (sorry if this has already been asked but I can't find it)
How do I make new folders for maps in Advance Map? Sorry if this is sort of a n00bish question but I'm well... I'm a n00b at this XD
Thanks in advance!
I think you can't, you just have to use the ones already there, there is lots of them.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Yeah that was it ()the second one, each image has a specific height and width but can you change this or say my devamps of platinum after being resized don't add up to these widths, would I have to repoint them or shrink them?
Yes, you can change the byte. For instance, changing the byte to 0x33 would make a 3×3 tile image (24×24 pixels). Since your sprites are 64×64, that would mean changing it to 0x88.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
Sprites can be hidden without the use of scripts by their Person ID; if it corresponds with a flag number that has been set that sprite will be hidden upon entering the map.

Does this technique also work with Ruby hacking, or does that need something different? Because I want to hide a character on the map completely unless you've accomplished a certain task in my Ruby hack. ^^; Also, how do I make the sprite visible if you have accomplished that certain task? Clear the flag?

Thanks!

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Does this technique also work with Ruby hacking, or does that need something different? Because I want to hide a character on the map completely unless you've accomplished a certain task in my Ruby hack. ^^; Also, how do I make the sprite visible if you have accomplished that certain task? Clear the flag?

Thanks!
Yes it can and yes simply clearing the flag will make the sprite visible upon entering the map. However if you are already on the map you need to use the command showsprite (0x55).

ℜªℳ

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2016
Yes, you can change the byte. For instance, changing the byte to 0x33 would make a 3×3 tile image (24×24 pixels). Since your sprites are 64×64, that would mean changing it to 0x88.

Ah, ok. Very simple and thanx again for the much needed help. Two last questions (for now anyhow...), the pokemon sprites all move meaning they are most likely .GIFs so will any of the tools you listed previously allow me to import gifs to replace the ones there including icons and if not how can I edit the icons manually? And, how do I change palettes for things such as well, everything?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Ah, ok. Very simple and thanx again for the much needed help. Two last questions (for now anyhow...), the pokemon sprites all move meaning they are most likely .GIFs so will any of the tools you listed previously allow me to import gifs to replace the ones there including icons and if not how can I edit the icons manually? And, how do I change palettes for things such as well, everything?

They aren't GIF images. They are just normal images that have 2 frames. >_> You edit them like any other Pokemon Sprite, just edit the top half and bottom half. >_>

ℜªℳ

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2016
They aren't GIF images. They are just normal images that have 2 frames. >_> You edit them like any other Pokemon Sprite, just edit the top half and bottom half. >_>

Figured that out about 2 minutes after asking that question last night but thnx anyhow.

All I need now is to find out how to edit palettes for grafix in crystal and if I can arrange something like different male and female sprites like in the DPP generation (I' not positive but I think I may be able to) or at least add more pokemon (just 7 more), can anyone help here?

Dark_Master

Dark/Ghost Pokemon Master
Years
I did all I can and Sappy won't *beep* work for me.

Anyway, are there midi's with over 12 tracks that you can insert into Pokemon games (Like a Remix from SMB?)?
yea but i was really looking to change a pokemon's cry i saw the tutorial for Midi music insertion

Jerros

TloS FTW!!!
Years
Does any1 know how exactly to remove the "truck" event, in the beginning of Emerald?
(You know, where the truck brakes, and the screen shakes and stuff...)

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2008
excuse me, I can't speak english very weel. I need only pieman's tutorial. Where can I give it? (excuse me for my errors)

DemonParia

Gangsterfresh Swagmaster
Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2015
Text Issues

I am a complete noob at hacking, but I have a question.

I use AdvanceText to edit the text in the game. I use the option of inserting a new text script into the game to make a person in the game say something. I am a hex moron, and have no idea how to do it otherwise. My problem is that when I talk to a person that has the text that I put in, sometimes it will work correctly, but more often then not, instead of coming up like:

It's storming pretty hard outside.

Which is what he's supposed to say, it comes out like:

It's storming pretty hard outside. ÍÔ € ILUCIAN'S HOUSE

And the "LUCIAN'S HOUSE" is from another text script.
So, I'm wondering-

1. Why those characters and letters from another text entry come up.
2. How to fix it
3. And if there isn't a way to fix it, another way to insert and edit text.

Thanks.
-DEMON

ℜªℳ

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2016
I am a complete noob at hacking, but I have a question.

I use AdvanceText to edit the text in the game. I use the option of inserting a new text script into the game to make a person in the game say something. I am a hex moron, and have no idea how to do it otherwise. My problem is that when I talk to a person that has the text that I put in, sometimes it will work correctly, but more often then not, instead of coming up like:

It's storming pretty hard outside.

Which is what he's supposed to say, it comes out like:

It's storming pretty hard outside. ÍÔ € ILUCIAN'S HOUSE

And the "LUCIAN'S HOUSE" is from another text script.
So, I'm wondering-

1. Why those characters and letters from another text entry come up.
2. How to fix it
3. And if there isn't a way to fix it, another way to insert and edit text.

Thanks.
-DEMON

A-Text is a very glitchy tool and therefore should be avoided and is taken up by noobs. I suggest you learn XSE or Hex or look around for a different script tool right here in PC in the tool box rather than use A-Text. I used to use it as a noob too but then I started on hex which is a bit more easy to use for me. XSE and pokescript are the only tools I know and would recommend outside of hex but XSE has fixed many errors pokescript couldn't and the languages are very much similar so XSE is your best pick.

DemonParia

Gangsterfresh Swagmaster
Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2015
Um...

I do have XSE, and I know some very basic scripting, but how exactly would I do a text script? If that's too simple for the simple questions thread I can figure it out myself.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
I do have XSE, and I know some very basic scripting, but how exactly would I do a text script? If that's too simple for the simple questions thread I can figure it out myself.

What about decompiling one? The game is full of working examples, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back