• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A gazillion half worlds

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
  • What's the ratio between the worlds you start working on and the number of worlds you worlds deem "complete"? In other words, how good are you at finishing worldbuilding projects?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I'll let you know if I ever finish Arvania :P

But yeah, I agree with Lost - I'm not sure if you can ever really "finish" a world. Maybe the basics and foundation, but from there, there are still so many different facets to explore I feel like you could potentially go on forever if you want to look into every small detail of the world. :D

Years
  • Just jumping on the "what they said" train here. A world is never complete because you can literally continue developing it forever if you want.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Just jumping on the "what they said" train here. A world is never complete because you can literally continue developing it forever if you want.

I think that's what makes this all so exciting. You get to keep developing a history for your world for as long as you like, and it can go in any direction.

Years
  • I think that's what makes this all so exciting. You get to keep developing a history for your world for as long as you like, and it can go in any direction.

Definitely, as you go through the history and events it can develop and change in many different ways too.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    18 worlds/0 finished :p
    I think you can complete a world, but still add to it.
    Video games are "complete" upon release, but updates and patches do come out.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • 2:0

Yeah, I'm hoppin on the bandwagon here and say that worlds can't be finished, since you just keep on thinking new stuff for it.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I do think a world can be considered "complete" at some point- when you have essentially everything laid out in bullet points at least. You can totally keep expanding and changing, but there is absolutely a point where you can say "this world is complete".

Years
  • In a sense one is complete when you have no more use for it and move on and in that sense I've completed many. But only in that sense.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I have never finished a world. I have a library full of skeletons and the bare bones of worlds I keep hopping around.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Yeah, "complete" might not have been the best word choice. I agree that you can always add more to your world, but with one of my worlds I actually came to a point where all countries had some details, including capital, political system and landscape, and there was an overarching world history, then I decided I was "done".

But that's a rare case. Most of the time I have just another idea and go work on that without getting very far before the next idea.

Orx of Twinleaf

Branch into Psyche
    Years
  • If I may, perhaps we can consider worlds "complete" insofar that we can consider reality so.

At the end of the day a world is a stage upon which stories may happen. In our world, human history and the life of every last thing that exists is a story that happened in it, but in the world to us a lot of that is in the past and history. History is as much context to us as geography and politics, and that's what the world provides: context.

So since you can always tack more and more to a world to "patch" it, as you have all put it, it comes down to when you think you would be comfortable with allowing others to place their stories in it. If there's a big rich history in your world that precludes people owning machinery, you would want that written down and noted before you wanted someone's story taking place, right?

Personally, I agree with all of you; that a world is never "done," but it can still be "complete." If I haven't gotten around to explaining how the cycle of constituent mana preserves magical integrity and spell abilities, then I'll do it eventually, but it's not exactly prudent information to most stories that would take place within it.
    So, I suppose to answer the question of the thread for myself, I would have to say I make a point of "completing" every world I decide to put down in words, and I personally don't write it at all until I can complete it in that sitting. I just kind of sit on it and build it in my head until I think it's ready. After that, I'll usually let it go, unless I feel the urge to come back to it and add some more minutiae to it. Sometimes I might introduce my own stories into it for the lulz, but not as often as I'd like.

Back