• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playing the older games

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I know sometimes for me I'm so use to the newer graphics that when I play an older one like Gen 1 or Gen 2 it's like holy crap.

Years
  • Honestly, not hard at all. They're incredibly fun even if they have things I don't enjoy in main series Pokémon games (HMs and slow battle animations being one of them). Plus sprites were so charming and I miss them a lot, so seeing them again is a big plus <3

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Gen 4 can feel like a chore due to the slow down. Gen 5 still has a little bit of that but feels already faster. Apart from that I have an easy time going back to older games. Gens 1 and 2 in particular feel amazingly fast to play. That's because they were a lot simpler, a lot faster to get into and with a lot of replay value due to the speed and customizability even availabe in the really old generations. It's also nice to occasionally flee the confines of story telling for a much more open environment that is a lot more prevalent in the older games.

And of course, having nostalgia also allows me to brush off a bunch of rough edges here and there.

Years
  • I play the older games quite often and I think the only thing I struggle with is building a story team that has access to all the HMs that I need. It's a pain making sure that I have pokemon who have access to surf/fly/strength/etc without hindering their movepool too much.
    And also basically playing with a team of 5 instead of 6 because one slot is taken up by a HM slave.

Years
  • I actually tried to replay Pokemon Diamond recently since I wanted to revisit Sinnoh before BDSP, but I got bored after two badges in and stopped. I find it hard to go back and replay older gens without there being a challenge, like mono type teams or doing a nuzlocke. Plus, the battles in Diamond are really slow! Hopefully by the time Brilliant Diamond comes out, I will have motivation to play..

Years
  • I actually tried to replay Pokemon Diamond recently since I wanted to revisit Sinnoh before BDSP, but I got bored after two badges in and stopped. I find it hard to go back and replay older gens without there being a challenge, like mono type teams or doing a nuzlocke. Plus, the battles in Diamond are really slow! Hopefully by the time Brilliant Diamond comes out, I will have motivation to play..

Yeah, the slow interface is what makes it super hard for me to play again. D: That's why I'm really looking forward to being able to play on a mode modern/fast UI. Fortunately emulation at least allows for 2x speed. Challenges on older games can be a lot of fun though!

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jun 4, 2021
    Visually its hard for me to go back to the older games like red and blue because I don't like how the over world looks, but I still love the battle sprites for the trainers and pokemon. When it comes to gen 3 and anything after I probably won't replay it unless it gets a remake or an interesting romhack.

Back