• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
Years
  • That's why I'm not joining more even though it feels like nothing's happening right now. I don't need more RPs, I just need other people to need more RPs so they can join the ones I'm in and make them more active X3

Years
  • Yup, I'm gonna give the Steampunk rp a go and get some stuff drafted up for it. I already have ideas in my head so should be popping up in a few days :3

Also, I'd like an opinion. I LOVE myself some world-building and I've got a nice map made up and all sorts of stuff thought of for the places on the map. Do the inhabitants of the rp-corner share my love for world-building and want to have some of this basic information about the lands available to them, or would it seem like a bit too much of an info dump?

Last edited:

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • So as were talking about steam punk settings and I just finished Django Unchained and Inglorious Basterds has anyone tried a western or war setting in an rp? And not like a fantastical setting but, a more realistic one

Years
  • There was actually a really cool sounding western x pokemon crossover in the works a while ago but in never actually came to fruition unfortunately. There was heaps on interest in it though so perhaps a more realistic western RP would garner similar attention - although I don't think as much as the cross over.

I think you would probably have more luck with a war if was well written enough.

Sephear

Years
  • I would love a western RP myself, it's one of my favorite settings. And there's so much to work with there too.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I've never really been a fan of Westerns, but it seems like a cool idea to have a western/pokemon splice. Combining Pokémon with other genres is always interesting, I know steampunk and medieval get done a lot - but I think it would be cool to have some hyper-futuristic pokémon roleplays, or perhaps a Grecian/ancient mashup as well.

So many possibilities meep

A new challenge awaits you.

Last edited:
    Years
  • So a different thread got me wondering this...

Combat is a pretty integral part in a lot of the RPs that come through here, be in a Pokemon Journey RP, the One Piece RP, Yokai Academy or any number of others. My questions to you are

1. Do you think combat/action is needed to make most RPs interesting?
    2. Do you prefer to write action posts or others?
    3. What are some combat-based and non combat-based RPs you have enjoyed participating it? (meaning action as a main focus, and action non-existent or of lesser importance). Why?
    4. What are some action-based posts you particularly enjoyed reading and writing?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Not needed, but it definitely helps. With action it gives an obvious ~event~ and a break from dialogue/monologue writing. It's a bit of a double edged sword though, because it can be difficult to make sure your fight is balanced and your character isn't overpowered.

No, I don't think so. I prefer describing interesting sequences of events or short action/fight posts. When things drag on for too long I start to bore myself.

3. What are some combat-based and non combat-based RPs you have enjoyed participating it? (meaning action as a main focus, and action non-existent or of lesser importance). Why?

I really enjoyed reading the action in Guilded Halls, a couple of small fights as well as action-orientated fights was cool. I also really enjoyed writing for NPCs in The Avatar RP SB and I hosted - since they were mostly one-off posts it was fun to integrate the fighting with quirks and hints at the character. SA:O roleplays are also great because of the variety in battles you can have.

Pokémon RPs tend to focus mostly on battling, but also lots of different styles of battles (double battles and using joint posts, for example).

I haven't been in any non-action roleplays, really. I like roleplays that have elements of action but don't rely too heavily on them :).

4. What are some action-based posts you particularly enjoyed reading and writing?

There's plenty of fantastic action posts in the Monster Art Online roleplay. :3 They tend to be snappy and direct, rather than long, descriptive and (dare I say) boring.

Years
  • Thought I would use this to ask something a bit unusual for this type of RP forum.

I'm homebrewing a Mario RPG (not the computer type) with a friend. We are nearing the stage where we can start playtesting, and I would like to see if I can start a Play-By-Post (the term for how you guys RP) RPG here. Now everything will be up to standard, except one thing:

As a GM I must occasionally ask for rolls in this system and describe things. On some posts (but not all) I will need to break the 200 word limit for say, calling for one of the rolls; I cannot go on forever describing a situation the players will find themselves in, and to call rolls I will need to make them clear instead of burying them under text the players may miss. Otherwise the RPG will be perfectly up to the rules. Can I do this, or barring the rule exception being disallowed, could I use the RP's OOC topic for this?

Would anyone be up for a Mario RPG for that matter? If there are no takers then this post might as well be useless.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    In the past, we've let short OOC posts made by the GM slip by in the IC thread for things like notifying players of levels gained, pokemon caught or settings etc. Guess Skymin or Magic have to confirm if this is okay nowadays though.

Years
  • The method Red's described was a pretty effective one when she put it into effect in Echo. So if the mod's are still okay with that sort of thing I figure it would probably work quite well in your RP also FourCartridge.

I'm kinda curious to see how a mario RP would work actually xD

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    As a GM I must occasionally ask for rolls in this system and describe things. On some posts (but not all) I will need to break the 200 word limit for say, calling for one of the rolls; I cannot go on forever describing a situation the players will find themselves in, and to call rolls I will need to make them clear instead of burying them under text the players may miss. Otherwise the RPG will be perfectly up to the rules. Can I do this, or barring the rule exception being disallowed, could I use the RP's OOC topic for this?
    The rule is only 100 words ;)

In the past, we've let short OOC posts made by the GM slip by in the IC thread for things like notifying players of levels gained, pokemon caught or settings etc. Guess Skymin or Magic have to confirm if this is okay nowadays though.
    I've always been okay with it. I think when I wrote the rules I wrote it as "all IC posts must be 100 words". So any posts which are in character. Though when I was writing Apollo, I tried to keep all individual in character replies over 100 words haha just so I wasn't being a bad influence ;)

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
    Years
  • Oh, is it that time again to see what RPs people would be interested in? If so, then I'd like to test the waters (once again) to see what everyone would think about a Megaman Battle Network RP. So, would anybody be interested? It would basically be set after the games, in an alternate outcome that does not lead to Starforce. WWW would return, and some students of the special Netbattling academy, simply known as SciLab Academy, would combat the threat with the guidance of their ever so awesome teacher, Mr. Famous (who no one has actually have ever heard of). They're would be a lot of story driven extracurricular activities that really don't have much to do with the academy, but classes are still likely to occur and would probably have benefits.

Edit (to show that I'm sorry for derailing the questions):
    Gimmepie said:

1. No, I really don't think it is needed, but I feel that it is too enticing to not want to include it. Granted, Action is really enjoyable and can be some of the best parts of an RP, but I don't think it is required.
    2. Action posts are really fun, especially when doing a JP and you either get to know the collaborator or you are already familiar with them. That being said, I find just as much pleasure writing posts that develop plot or inquire into the RP's setting/universe.
    3. Sadly, I don't think I've been a part of non combat-based RP, with possibly the sole exception being a brief stint in Youkai Academy. Some of the more enjoyable Action RPs that I've been in would probably be SA:O Sanctuary and Vale Institute, but since I'm a GM of Vale I feel that it would come off as bias towards my own product (which it isn't).
    4. There are two instances that I can clearly remember writing, though one literally happened only two/three days ago. The first was this huge fight scene in SA:O Sanctuary where my character, Nirvana, had stolen the boss loot and publicly killed the player known as Saito. Many of the other characters that were present took part in trying to retrieve the loot from Nirvana, but ultimately had to bribe him. The other time where I can think of an extremely enjoyable writing was a JP with Lord Sephear in Vale. It was a grand magical fight between two first day students, that ultimately led to Jack's (Lord Sephear) victory. The creativity behind spell application was really unique, as the science based magic had proper, logical, and unusual usage, but still managed to fit each character's personality. Sure, that's just my opinion, but that is what made it fun.

Also, have I mentioned that anybody and everybody reading this should consider joining Vale? It's awesome, so you really should. ;D

Last edited:

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
    Years
  • Guys, guysguysguysguysguys

Free cookies for anyonewho joins SOULBOND!
    *Note: All Cookies are merely metaphorical and are not actually tangible, edible, or existent.

... But seriously; we could definitely use more players, and there's no limit in character capacity. Alongside this, there are no reserves. Simply post a completed character! Though, I do appreciate it when people tell me beforehand that they're going to be working on a character.

SOULBOND is a Human/Pokemon pairing, in which the two are connected in mind and soul. In battle, the Human feels the Pokemon's pain, and the Pokemon can feel the Human's pain. If the Pokemon faints, so does it's paired Human, and vice versa. The two have a mental connection and speak telepathically to one another, and can even feel the emotions of their bond. However, being separated from their bond is known to have serious consequences, which worsen over time and lead two death within weeks of separation.

This RP will take place travelling through Kanto, in a relatively dark-yet-exciting take on the region and it's mobster group, the Rockets. Nothing of their plans has been revealed yet, but it will be explained further in.

Stingray

Space elves FTW
    Years
  • 1. Do you think combat/action is needed to make most RPs interesting?

Most... yes likely, but you really just need a good conflict/story for the characters to work toward. This doesn't always have to be combat related, but those are the easiest ones to do.

A mix... depending on my mood and what other characters are doing. Too much of one gets boring.

Um errrr.... I'll get back to you on what RPs because my favorite was an old one from years ago that I forgot the name to. Reason I liked it so much was a mix of the GM being good and the characters worked together to a degree. So everyone wasn't finding their own separate battle but everyone was actually fighting together. Its fun to play off other people's posts.

Ones with enough detail and creativity to be interesting without dragging on too much. Also ones were several players are playing off each other's actions.

Years
  • I should probably answer my own questions xD

Honestly, for the most part I find I can get bored without some sort of drama or action in an RP for extended periods of time and combat is just the most diverse and interesting method that remains easy to pull off. So yeah, not all RPs need consistent combat to be interesting but a lot of them do.

Action posts are a lot of fun to right. I'd say a really well done action post and really well-written emotional ones are my favourites. But I struggle with the latter so I guess I have to say yes I prefer action posts for the most part.

The only RP I have been a part of that was 100% not an action RP was Connections, which I GM'd with Resolution. I really enjoyed the characters and interactions people brought to it but circumstances and inactivity from some got in the way of it taking off. I have thought about rebooting it at some point vut active and enthusiastic players was hugely important.

Yokai Academy is excellent because it has a really well done balance between action and demon high school drama. There's a lot of variety, the non-action posts tend to be hilarious whilst the fights can be really intense and great reads.

Most of the RPs I have taken part in have been action based really, and most have also been ones I GM'd... and not wanting to drop any more of my own old RPs on the list I'll leave it here.

Oddly enough one of my favourite fights to write - even though it technically was spread over several posts - was one in which my character got his magical ass handed to him: Allister vs Raka in Yokai Academy. It was really fun to simultaneously showcase how powerful fairytale are (via Raka a character Geras controls) as well as Allister (my characters) smarts and determination. I was amazed by how much fun writing about a major loss for one's character can be and it has served as an excellent device for character development now that we are further through the RP.

I particularly enjoyed reading the Solo fight from that RP also. It was really emotional and dramatic. Yokai Academy is an excellent RP haha.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think I like both action and not action in RPs. Mostly, I prefer when things happen, but it doesn't need to be a battle or fight of some kind. Just some story movement. Conversations and feelings and thoughts are all good, but... Well okay, that's a kind of action too I guess, as soon as characters do stuff. But not necessarily combat.

Sephear

Years
  • 1. Like many other people here I'm going to have to take the middle-ish road on this one. I don't think action is completely essential to an RP but it certainly helps, I know I personally enjoy writing fights a lot especially when the other RPer and I can agree on what happens.

2. Character development is ultimately my favorite thing to do in any Roleplay, so I love posts that are just conversations and feelings, but action has huge effects on character development too so I love IT ALL.

3. I can't think of any actionless RPs I've been in but that's probably just because of missed opportunities from me being a dummy, as far as action-packed RPs go I have a lot of love for both but there's a particularly soft spot in my heart for the Reburst REboot. The zany seemingly random events and the creative freedom we all have there as Roleplayers makes for an amazing experience when I get inspiration for a post and stay up till 3 in the morning obsessively cranking out a giant post.

4. I really enjoyed the battles I wrote in Reburst and I also had a great time recently working on the battle between Jack and Zane in Vale. It ended up particularly satisfying because neither Colony nor I were worried about who won for the sake of winning, we just came up with plans for what our characters wanted and reactions, and the whole time we were constantly discussing the science behind the various spells to cooperatively decide the outcome. I also loved reading many of the battles in Youkai Academy especially the Allister/Raka battle and Solo's battle against the other students.

With the legitimate part of the post out of the way it's time for some shameless advertising: Sekirei: Wings of Fate is still drastically short on people, but even so things are finally starting to happen and we'll keep it going strong while we wait for new members. If you love super-powered beautiful people, wanton violence in the middle of huge cities, or you're a sucker for mushy stuff and love stories GET YOUR BUTT OVER THERE. Uncle Sephy wants you! *Dons magenta/black top hat and points dramatically at everyone.*

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back