• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    How do you join an rp and how do they exactly work
    Hi Garison! You will find the basics here: The Rules [New Players, Click Here!]

You can check the Roleplay Library or the Check to See if Your Roleplay has been Accepted (v.2) threads to find a RP to your liking, or just browse the Roleplay Lounge and read the opening posts and see if there are spots open. Or you can create your own RP, but it's generally recommended that you join a few here first to get a feeling for how we do things on PC's RP Corner :3

If you have any further questions, you can VM me or the resident mods Skymin and Magic, or just post here again since most RPers here are really eager to help out!

Years
  • @Garison - Just to add a little bit to what Red's said, and hopefully to answer a bit more of the "how they work" part of your question; I tend to look at it like collaboratively writing a story. Each person has a character (or characters in some cases) that they control - whose part of the plot they are responsible for - and writes for that character so that the end product is that everyone's efforts with their own character blend together to become a single story of sorts. Perhaps that isn't the best way of explaining things but that's how I look at it anyway, you'll pick it up pretty quick just by taking a look at the active RPs.

Which gives me an idea for another question (everybody groans collectively here).

How exactly do you look at RPing like this? Do you view it in a similar way to me, or do you have your own unique outlook?

Oh yeah, and before I forget. I'm bringing out a new RP really soon (It has begun once more! Maybe.)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Haha, gimmepie, you'll always be the GM who juggles the most RPs, won't you? :3

I agree with you on how RPing works here, btw. It can of course differ a bit from RP to RP, but in general that's how I view what we create here. That's kind of why one-liners and script style isn't allowed here, I suppose; it gives the story less flow. If you want to do that stuff, you're probably better off RPing over a chat client or something.

In other news, the Roleplay Library is updated. Quite few new RPs over the last month. Hopefully that means there are a lot of active ones already!

New This Month - the RPs that have been accepted by the mod since roughly one month back.

Fort PokePower

Muffins forever
    Years
  • How exactly do you look at RPing like this? Do you view it in a similar way to me, or do you have your own unique outlook?
    I look at it in the same way you do. Those are pretty much the exact words I use when I try to describe RPing to people I know XD

disciplish

supreme meme machine
    Years
  • @Garison - Just to add a little bit to what Red's said, and hopefully to answer a bit more of the "how they work" part of your question; I tend to look at it like collaboratively writing a story. Each person has a character (or characters in some cases) that they control - whose part of the plot they are responsible for - and writes for that character so that the end product is that everyone's efforts with their own character blend together to become a single story of sorts. Perhaps that isn't the best way of explaining things but that's how I look at it anyway, you'll pick it up pretty quick just by taking a look at the active RPs.

snip

How exactly do you look at RPing like this? Do you view it in a similar way to me, or do you have your own unique outlook?

Generally I look at it the same way [and that's how I have to explain it to everyone who immediately thinks that roleplaying = LARPing; nothing against it but that's not what I do D;] as well as a bit differently. I look at it sort of the same way Durarara[!!!] is put together, where you start out with a bunch of little stories that eventually fuse into one huge one. I say that because usually at the start of a roleplay each player is isolated or not really connected to one another besides what the plot forces them to be [unless you have a JP for your first post, among other exceptions] but later on all the characters begin to mesh together and interact to the point where it becomes one big story.

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
    Years
  • First of all, welcome! I do hope you're able to find RPs here that you enjoy~

On that note, there are a couple fantasy RPs about, though the only one I've really taken time to look at is Adventurers in Training. Also, I will be making my own fantasy within the next couple of weeks, and it just so happens that it centers around humans who have bonds with dragons.

thanks for the welcome C:

oh sounds pretty interesting! no human-dragon hybrids though, right? :C (or dragons with human forms, maybe?)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Fort loves his dragons ;3.

Kenneth/Gimmie I think you two have it dead on. I view an RP as a kind of collaborative story, where characters start off quite independent and separate but gradually bond with each other and the story becomes -theirs- as a group.

Garison

The Grey Waves
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    Generally I look at it the same way [and that's how I have to explain it to everyone who immediately thinks that roleplaying = LARPing; nothing against it but that's not what I do D;] as well as a bit differently. I look at it sort of the same way Durarara[!!!] is put together, where you start out with a bunch of little stories that eventually fuse into one huge one. I say that because usually at the start of a roleplay each player is isolated or not really connected to one another besides what the plot forces them to be [unless you have a JP for your first post, among other exceptions] but later on all the characters begin to mesh together and interact to the point where it becomes one big story.

Hmm I think I get it now
    . Thanks.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    We now have a planning/review thread. Please use this thread to post character SUs and upcoming roleplay plots for feedback and further ideas.

Please avoid posting these kind of things in the discussion thread.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
    Years
  • What about advertisement for existing roleplays? Where does that fall? Nevermind this, spoke a bit too soon.

Also, shouldn't the Planning thread be stickied alongside this thread, rather than in the Lounge?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I put it in the lounge since (a) it has no stickies there and (b) that's where the majority of people go to post an OOC/character.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
    Years
  • Good point(s); this seems like a good move, since now each thread is a little more specific in what can happen in them.

There may be some editing required on the first post of this thread if you haven't edited out anything that may belong in the other thread. If you have, ignore may ramblings ^^;

disciplish

supreme meme machine
    Years
  • @Garison; No prob man, see you around!
    ---

I don't think this should fall into the new thread, but if it does sorry in advance. It'd probably wouldn't actually be a bad question to put in the new one, but it seems more oriented for general RPs than a specific one/advice on a specific RP.

For everyone out there, what characteristics do you think an RP has to have to, well, make it? I mean like, what qualities set up a roleplay to fail or to be successful?

Years
  • @Kenneth - Being SV's and Raikiri's.

In all seriousness though, I think that really there's a lot of factors. The plot has to be good, the GM(s) needs to be good and good characters and activity from those who join is essential. There's a lot of tiny factors (including luck even) that determine whether or not an RP is a success or not.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think in general most stuff would still fall into the RPD ^^ The new thread is rather for feedback on characters or specific plots. I guess?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Questions and stuff is all still here! I have edited the first post, to be clear, it's just plot feedback / character feedback in the review thread.

Everything else is here.

v I edited the first post before you mentioned it ;)

Last edited:

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • Each day that goes by I feel more and more distant from my beloved rpc.... :'(

Anyways... has anyone ever considered a sports rp? and before I get bombarded with a bunch of "that would never works" hear me out.

So I think that this would only work in two different situations.

1. Basketball. Rpers control their own character on their own individual team. The other 4 or maybe 5 if you want to write with a sixth man, would all be NPCs. Games could be JP and they could just be up against another NPC team. I feel like i'm leaving stuff out, but i'll just edit if i remember.

2. Individual Sports. Cross Country, Track (i think this would work the best), Cycling, Golf, everyone would be on a team ,but it's not like football or other team sports where everyone has to work together at the same time

So what do yall think? Do you think that a sports rp could ever work?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back