• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Why play gen I (again)?

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    For everyone here who has picked up the eshop releases, why did you do it? If you recall playing RBY in the past, what drew you back in? If you never played it before, why did you want to try it now (as opposed to or in addition to newer games)?

For me, I guess it's primarily nostalgia. I have so many great memories of the older games, and I wanted them in a format I could play on a modern handheld while lying in bed (i.e., not just on the computer). It's fun to think about things competitively now, too, as I didn't know anything about the metagame when I first started. (Admittedly, I have no one to play with locally, but it's fun to think about anyway and try out different Pokemon.) I love the newer games, too, but there's something soothing about the simplicity of the older games and the memories they bring.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2016
    I play pokemon silver on my GBC every 2-3 years, just for that feels.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    I wanted to see how it was to play again, the answer is its stood up well. The graphics are awful but the base gameplay is as fun as ever, id still love to see a full proper Gen 1 remake with gen 6/7 capabilities.

Its opened my eyes as to how good we have it now though and I sorely miss infinite use TM's, EXP share and infinite bags etc.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I bought Yellow through the eShop mainly because one of my friends had already expected me to buy it, and he wanted to trade his Kadabra to me to evolve it.

Other than that, there really wasn't much of a reason for me to buy the games. I still have working cartridges, and I wasn't really all that interested in replaying through the Generation 1 games. (If I hadn't lost my FireRed cartridge, I wouldn't even be playing Blue for the Nuzlocke challenge I'm running.)

Though it is nice to see where the franchise started from, and all the features that I now miss from the newer games.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    ^ Cloyster is able to learn the said move as well. X'D

Seriously though, aside from the nostalgia factor, (re)playing the classics is a great reminder to how our franchise has evolved throughout the years, from the graphics to mechanics. Speaking of mechanics, Gen I's and Gen VI's differs so much, which add certain charms to the classic gamess, easily making them worth to play (with again)! (:

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I bought Yellow because I've never owned a copy of that version before and I've never finished a Gen 1 game. I also bought it because I want to see how transferring Pokemon from that gen to Sun/Moon will work.

Reactions: Sun

The Real AAA

Guess who's back!
    Years
  • I still play red, gold, sapphire, firered and sometimes pearl once or twice a year recently i started heartgold but didnt finish it

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    Well why not? Seriously NIntendo screwed up when they prevented the ability to transfer your original Pokemon to the Saphire and Ruby. In fact all my Pokemon was deleted. Because of that all I have left over are the babies I backed up on my stadium 1 and 2 files. Seriously I love Pokemon it is great and enjoyable game to play. Even the card game had something fun about it ( even if it is another game with pokemon graphics ) Why I still play? IDK because it was that fun. I miss the animation and art from the original games. They looked so holesome and beautiful. Nowadays the pokemon looks lacking and pointless. I mean the "Crystal" version with the animated graphics was a plus and all but after my game deleted I just gave up on Pokemon to be honest. Nobody could take down my lot at all. Why don't I go online and play? Because that is like $500 for a blasted setup or more just to play this game online with you folks. Also a solid internet connection as well. So that is like almost $1000 out of my pockets just to play online with people nowadays. Will I get back into it? maybe and IDK, as long as I could play from the Saphire and Ruby games and time machine those but again I WANT MY ORIIGNAL POKEMON. Also the movesets and learning was different. I remember when Dragonite could go to 659 ATK and learn fly and thunder. Even Pigdeot could learn thunder. I could go on and nobody believes me but it was so fun the original games. I even took out people with cheating pokemon or the Missingno Lv256 with my lot. It was insane but we had some fun times. Nintendo does not want it's original players on this game. Look at Mario. He went from a joe average to a high pitched weirdo. Pokemon itself originally was meant so that Nintendo could sell dolls ( action figures ). Again I prefer the original games as well.

Years
  • You should play Yellow again because of the retro music tbh. And because Pikachu follows you around (; When I played another game after Yellow, I felt lonely in the world because no pokémon followed me wherever I went.

Guest123_x1

I bought the Virtual Console releases of all three Gen. I games because I traded in my copies of Blue and Yellow for the Game Boy ten years ago, and wanted a way to legally play these games again (instead of doing so by PC-based emulators), on actual Nintendo hardware. I also wanted to relive the childhood memories I had playing these games back in the early 2000s.
    Though the actual experience isn't exactly the same by playing R/B/Y on my 2DS as opposed to my Game Boy Color, playing on the 2DS/3DS Virtual Console is better in a way-the 3DS screen is backlit, and you don't need to be constantly near a source of light or have a worm light like some would have attached to their Game Boy (though the screen will appear dim if you're in too bright a location).

Bay

Years
  • Like many others here, it was to relive the first games again. For me it had been over ten years since I last played the first generation games, so it was fun going back memory lane. I'll admit you able to transfer your Pokemon to Sun and Moon was another deciding factor, same as AliceBlaze.

Qinshi

Gym Leader
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2016
    I bought the red version back in the days, to play on my gameboy.
    Played mutiple times through it.

Than 2 years after the release of pokémon red, my gameboy cracked (hit the screen with my knee).
    Never owned a gameboy again (was expensive as a teenager).
    Now i work, have money. So yeah, i decided for nostalgia reason to buy it on my new nintendo 3ds xl.

The music really brings me back to the 'good old days' of playing pokémon.

Bot

Robot con sentimientos
    Years
  • I want to play those virtual games... I would like to remember Pokémon Red, the sprites and a lot of things of the first games. To be honest, for me, first gen is really interesting.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • Didn't have any ways of playing the game immediately without pirating, and it was cheaper than getting a random gameboy and cart so I figured why not? I ended up enjoying my first playthrough in at least six years, even if I think it's aged poorly.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • I'm thinking about buying Blue even as I type this (that was the first Pokemon game I had and had beaten before I lost the gameboy and cart - I do have Red and Yellow, but their batteries are long dead)...

While the games are glitchy af, have broken typings, mechanics, and distribution (Bug, Psychic, Ghost, Ice, and Dragon being the primary offenders), and have annoyances (boxes, HMs, no running)... There's a certain charm to the simplicity of it all. Nowadays, everyone's obsessed with meta, EV/IV, shiny coloring, and other factors that take away from just raising Pokemon as they come and having fun with the ones you like. Back in Gen 1, the game didn't hold your hand and you had no clue whether a move you replaced with that one TM would be awesome or a dud. You just did the best you could with the Pokemon you raised and you didn't let the fact that a Pokemon didn't have perfect IVs and shiny and pokerus bother you.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2016
    I bought it to play it. People say it aged poorly but looking at it looks fine. A game that aged poorly is MGS ps1

Back