• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cambridge Analytica and the following #deletefacebook movement

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    What do you guys think about Facebook selling your user data to companies like Cambridge Analytica? Are you motivated to delete your account?

It kinda worries me, and while I think my data may have flown under the radar when it comes to Cambridge Analytica's endeavours, I don't particularly want to test how long I can fly under that radar. I'm motivated to delete my Facebook account, it's just so useful for keeping in touch with people. Tough spot to be in. :\

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Don't a lot of companies and organizations sell your info to others, or am I thinking of something else?

Guest123_x1

The overload of crap that Facebook has been pulling and continues to pull on its users over the years, including this news, is one reason why I deleted my Facebook account four years ago.

What really irks me is that these tech giants like Facebook, Google/YouTube, Amazon, Microsoft, and Twitter loudly complain about ISPs selling customer details, yet these aforementioned companies sell user info themselves and somehow it's perfectly okay for them to do so. They also loudly complain about how ISPs are allowed to throttle and block lawful content without Soros-backed "Net Neutrality" classification of ISPs as landline telephone "common carriers" (like the old Ma Bell from decades ago), yet these web platforms (especially Google/YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter) themselves censor lawful content that they deem to be "fake news" (e.g. anything that isn't pro-Obama, pro-Hillary, pro-gun control, pro-globalization, anti-Caucasian, and whatever else is the 'in' thing), even going so far as to terminate accounts that they don't like for "TOS/community guidelines violations".

My wish is for Facebook's stock to crash to zero in a flash. IMHO, those a-holes totally deserve it.

Last edited:

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • I don't know what makes people so surprised about this case. None of this is new. Facebook has been selling user information since the dawn of time. Of course there would be someone using it nefariously.

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
    Years
    • Seen today
    dunno what y'all should do

also interesting: search mark zuckerberg on wikiquotes and look at '04

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    What do you guys think about Facebook selling your user data to companies like Cambridge Analytica? Are you motivated to delete your account?

Facebook was not the one to sell to Cambridge Analytica. Someone wrote a quiz app on Facebook that prompted users for access to their profile info, under the guise of academic research. The individual who wrote that app was then the one who sold this info to CA.

Like many people said, Facebook making money off of you is nothing new. Targeted and creepy ads have been around for a while and Facebook is not the only player in the market (though it's certainly one of the biggest and most influential).

The problem was with not enforcing a policy on collected data after it left Facebook, and not following up with the third-parties involved to make sure that everything was actually deleted after being requested to do so.

It kinda worries me, and while I think my data may have flown under the radar when it comes to Cambridge Analytica's endeavours, I don't particularly want to test how long I can fly under that radar. I'm motivated to delete my Facebook account, it's just so useful for keeping in touch with people. Tough spot to be in. :\

The overload of crap that Facebook has been pulling and continues to pull on its users over the years, including this news, is one reason why I deleted my Facebook account four years ago.

Just a sidenote: no one should carry the assumption that Facebook will actually delete any of the information they have on you right now if you delete your account, nor that deleting your account will have any real impact on Facebook's ability to track you. And there's no guarantee that Cambridge Analytica is the only group of people to have thought of doing something like this.

What really irks me is that these tech giants like Facebook, Google/YouTube, Amazon, Microsoft, and Twitter loudly complain about ISPs selling customer details, yet these aforementioned companies sell user info themselves and somehow it's perfectly okay for them to do so. They also loudly complain about how ISPs are allowed to throttle and block lawful content without Soros-backed "Net Neutrality" classification of ISPs as landline telephone "common carriers" (like the old Ma Bell from decades ago), yet these web platforms (especially Google/YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter) themselves censor lawful content that they deem to be "fake news" (e.g. anything that isn't pro-Obama, pro-Hillary, pro-gun control, pro-globalization, anti-Caucasian, and whatever else is the 'in' thing), even going so far as to terminate accounts that they don't like for "TOS/community guidelines violations".

I'm not sure where to begin with this, but I'll try with this: this has nothing to do with net neutrality and net neutrality is completely unrelated to explicit and enforceable privacy policies, which is what this story is about.

But since you managed to somehow loop net neutrality into this, you're also assuming that net neutrality applies to content of private companies. Net neutrality is important because ISPs are the only point of internet access in today's world. ISPs should therefore not be favouring particular types of content because they are the only way to access information on the web.

Private companies like YouTube and Facebook are not the only websites on the internet, do not enforce a monopoly of their service in any particular region or country, and are free to control content hosted on their platform in whatever way they see fit. If YouTube suddenly decides to ban videos about puppies, that is 100% within their right as a private platform and nothing stops someone else from creating a platform that allows puppy videos. This is, contrary to popular belief, not a violation of free speech or as you say, "lawful content".

It's interesting that you mention 'fake news' when your rhetoric is entirely based on misinformation and mixing up concepts.

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Don't a lot of companies and organizations sell your info to others, or am I thinking of something else?
    I don't know what makes people so surprised about this case. None of this is new. Facebook has been selling user information since the dawn of time. Of course there would be someone using it nefariously.
    To be fair, most people aren't surprised. But given the circumstances surrounding Cambridge Analytica and Facebook, it may seem like a big deal because a bunch of former Facebook executives are leading a moral crusade about it all.

To quote Eli Schiff:
    The "technology isn't neutral—ETHICS!" crowd isn't against the panopticon, the social credit system, social media witch hunts, platform censorship, targeted advertising via data science etc. They are 100% for all of these things. They just want to have a monopoly on their usage.
    In 2018, some former Facebook executives are suddenly having a big moral crisis about the reality of Facebook's fundamental disrespect to people's privacy, despite profiting massively off of it not even half a decade before. Nothing says conflict of interest like a sudden bout of hypocritical PR, right?

It's pretty difficult to say what exactly is going on here, but if you were scratching your head as to why this suddenly matters to some rich folks all of a sudden, you know that something doesn't add up here. And while it's unknown what the real reason for all of this is (because we're not political hustlers or facebook execs), it is pretty clear that it is not because they suddenly care about the public's privacy. There's too much wrong with the circumstances for that to be sensible.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I don't get it, facebook sucks plain and simple, I realized this years ago. Why is it still around?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm curious to see how things go in Europe with GDPR - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

I know at least one person who works in a non-social-media tech company that says all their business is going to follow the guidelines that Europe is demanding so that they can stay in business over there while not having the headache of following different policies here in America. Feels like I should give thanks to our friends across the Atlantic. I wish we could have something like that here.

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2018
    I don't think Facebook is selling our data. CA has used some kind of program that can crawl everything we posted on Facebook, and analyse that data to predict the social behaviour and desire, in a way that benefits 1 party of the election.

Back