• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Practical vs. Fun Gifters

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    When you pick gifts for family and/or friends, do you gravitate towards getting things that are practical and useful, if a bit boring, or something fun or even silly (ie. gag gifts)?

Another part of the question is how do you feel about outright asking people what they want (that way you know for sure they will like/use it)? Do you think that's more or less thoughtful or does there need to be some element of surprise in gift-giving? How do you feel about gift cards?

And conversely, do you like to be surprised more or do you like it when people ask you what you want? Does it put you on the spot to be asked and would you default to saying you don't want anything or pick something inexpensive?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I cater my gifts to the individual person. So if they prefer practical, I provide practical, if they prefer something a bit more fun, I try to get them something more along those lines. I don't generally ask people what they want, but if I'm unsure of exactly what to get someone then I'm not bashful about extracting some examples from them if I can - I know some people that are hard to buy for or that go out of their way to be hard to buy for.

I like pleasant surprises but I'm also fine with people asking me if they need to. Honestly though, I much prefer giving gifts to receiving them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    My friends are all nerds, so I'd rather make their gifts something fun for them. Fun doesn't always mean gags or novelties.

Getting practical gifts is more of a family thing. Like, your mom will get you socks, etc.

To do that for a friend would be like admitting "Yeah, I had no idea".

I have gotten tools or gloves, etc, however, which have practicality in a lot of areas in my life.

So, I just get whatever feels right. Practical is fine, but it's gotta have more flair to it. I like getting something that makes someone's day or was something they REALLY needed. That's how I show I care.

Last edited:

Kai

Wayfarer
    Years
  • My gifts usually consist of both unless it's an ordinary useful item or a spontaneous joke gift.

Indirectly asking is fine but outright asking sort of ruins the fun and diminishes the surprise factor.

Usually I end up getting unexpected gifts, which is fine by me. When asked, my gift request is usually so quirky that only a dedicated gift giver could fulfill it. If the gift is obscene or clearly beyond the means of the person giving it than I'll turn it down. Just about everything else is acceptable.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    My main goal with gifts is just to make the person smile, so I go for whatever would make them happiest.

Also straight up asking someone what they want... idk. I think there are more subtle and roundabout ways to go about figuring out what I or someone else wants. If you're getting a gift for someone, chances are you know their interests, at least a little. Though there are always those people that are incredibly difficult to please so those are the people I buy gag gifts for

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • The gift is customised to suit the person as an individual, while also trying to be practical (easy & cheap $) from my side.

Back