• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Leaving dogs in cars

Years
  • When (if ever) is it okay to leave a dog (or other animal) inside a car? What should happen to people who leave animals inside? Is it okay to break open a car window to rescue an animal?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    It's one thing if you're going to be gone for just a bit. But like with little children, you're not supposed to leave them alone in a vehicle (in an unsafe manner) for long stretches of time, as said child or pet is likely to sustain injury/death or be kidnapped since they basically are totally dependent on people to....like basically live really, and the owner of the child/pet is responsible for them.

Breaking open the car is a bit of a sticky situation in some ways, as you're destroying or damaging someone else's personal property, and what constitutes the child/pet being in danger will vary between people or it may be difficult to prove that there was a real danger. But, y'know, at the same time there's the potential that something may be dying in there.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • In the UK the law states that:

You have a lawful excuse to commit damage if you believe that the owner of the property that you damage would consent to the damage if they knew the circumstances.

The first course of action would be to call the RSPCA and let them inspect it, if necessary they will call the police. If it's life or death call the police. If neither can arrive quickly enough it's up to you to decide whether or not to break the car. Taking photos can help your case though, as it can be classed under criminal damage.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    When (if ever) is it okay to leave a dog (or other animal) inside a car?

My answer to this question is, "if you have a choice to take them, take them." As an owner of a 6-pound Chihuahua, I rarely ever leave him in the car, and if I do, the windows are cracked, and if it's really hot, the air conditioner is on and I keep an emergency water bowl on hand so he doesn't dehydrate. This may not be necessary with bigger dogs, but at the same time, it's generally just not advisable to leave them in the car. Like babies, they can overheat and dehydrate very quickly.

What should happen to people who leave animals inside?

Tricky question. Their punishment would be based on whether or not they intended to do it (or whether or not prosecution can prove they intended to), the severity of damage to the dog, and the animal abuse laws in the country/state.

Is it okay to break open a car window to rescue an animal?

I will pretty much always say yes. If you see a dog that is clearly dehydrated or physically in pain or crying out in a car, break the window open and break it wide. To me, I'd be willing to face the charges if it meant I saved a dog's life.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • In Florida this can be an issue I've heard of a few cases of fathers leaving their kids in their car going to work and forgetting about them. Its really sad. I wouldnt say its abuse unless its intentional of course because its just a mistake and I think its justified to break into someone's car to save the kid. For a pet, I dont know.

Back