• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Why dislike Gamemaker?

remer

The Warrior
Years
Seriously,why do most dislike gamemaker when it comes to making pokemon fan games?I have seen many commenting that gamemaker is bad for making pokemon games.Why so?I myself use gamemaker 8 but don't see a problem in it.Can anyone explain why?

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 15, 2024
I've never heard of this debate. People use essentials because it is a premade engine?

Last edited:

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
It's as simple as "Rpgmaker" is specialized to do just that, make rpgs. And the core functions it has, and what Pokemon has, are largely the same.

Gamemaker on the other hand is designed to develop any genre of 2d game, it's generalized. That not only means it's harder to develop a kit for, as you have to code things from the ground up that Rpgmaker provides out of the box, like maps, movement, or text systems. But it also means that it's just more a pain to use, as you'll constantly be encountering things that serve your game no purpose.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 26, 2023
Well i don´t know if any of you know Pokemon Reloaded. It's made in Gamemaker i think, it's not a turn based game. But it's one of the best fan made projects i've seen.
A fresh new take in Pokemon games for sure, with a lot of work behind.

Last edited:
Years
In short, if anyone is suggesting to just use RPG Maker and Pokémon Essentials above GameMaker, it's because most of back-end work on the core features has already been completed. You need to consider many of the users in the community here are not software developers. The combination of RPG Maker and Pokémon Essentials allow them to quickly get their fan game ideas up and running. To my knowledge, there isn't an equivalent engine available for GameMaker.

remer

The Warrior
Years
So,its just about an engine,which is already equipped with basic programming and all.So,maybe GM will also be preferred if someone made a similar engine to essentials for GM.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 14, 2019
So,its just about an engine,which is already equipped with basic programming and all.So,maybe GM will also be preferred if someone made a similar engine to essentials for GM.

Whatever is easiest to go from idea to completed game will be preferred

If there's a notable detriment to an alternative, most would likely go back to what they know works

Delta231

A noob
Years
Everything has its own advantages and disadvantages. It also depends where you are using it as well.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Seriously,why do most dislike gamemaker when it comes to making pokemon fan games?I have seen many commenting that gamemaker is bad for making pokemon games.Why so?I myself use gamemaker 8 but don't see a problem in it.Can anyone explain why?
I've never heard of anyone specifically disliking Game Maker. I believe RPG Maker is more used simply because of Essentials.
A very popular Pokémon fangame from the last decade, Pokémon GoldenSky, was developed using Game Maker.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 26, 2023
If Game Maker had a base that was so easy to work on like the one in essentials, yes it would be the best. There are a lot of graphical limitations in RPG Maker XP. But that base doesn´t exist, so nobody will waste time in making everything from the ground up there if they want just to make a normal pokemon game. The creator of Pokemon Reloaded did it because he changed the battle mechanics to make it an action rpg. If anybody can share an "essentials" for Game Maker it's him. But i don´t know if he wants to.

Last edited:

remer

The Warrior
Years
I've never heard of anyone specifically disliking Game Maker. I believe RPG Maker is more used simply because of Essentials.
A very popular Pokémon fangame from the last decade, Pokémon GoldenSky, was developed using Game Maker.
It was voted out for fangames most of the time.That is why i used 'dislike' instead of 'hate'.Yes there are a few countable ones made with gamemaker,most with new battle styles and all as we can make it new from top to bottom.As for engines,the only one i have heard about is Pokemon World for GM 8.1.It is a fact that it is hard to script from the beginning without a base.So maybe,it is the base that matters after all.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
It was voted out for fangames most of the time.That is why i used 'dislike' instead of 'hate'.Yes there are a few countable ones made with gamemaker,most with new battle styles and all as we can make it new from top to bottom.As for engines,the only one i have heard about is Pokemon World for GM 8.1.It is a fact that it is hard to script from the beginning without a base.So maybe,it is the base that matters after all.
I'm sorry, could you tell where it was 'voted out'?
I'm not doubting you, just haven't participated in Pokémon fangaming communities for years, and am drastically out of the loop.

remer

The Warrior
Years
I'm sorry, could you tell where it was 'voted out'?
I'm not doubting you, just haven't participated in Pokémon fangaming communities for years, and am drastically out of the loop.
I cannot exactly point out where I saw it.But I am sure I read about it somewhere which had a discussion about making Pokemon fan games and the easiest way to do so.It was not given a good opinion mostly due to the lack of an engine.

Last edited:

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
RPG Maker XP is more preferred because it has a already made engine that's been worked on, developed, and improved with every new generation of Pokemon for the last 8 years or so.

if there was an engine for game maker, i'm sure plenty of people would be using that too.
But, hardly anyone would do it, since there's a more well known engine, already up for use on RPG Maker XP.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 14, 2020
Is there any sort of monster catching game already programmed for GameMaker that others can build upon? Similar to essentials, but for GM instead.

Years
I've been using game maker studio 2 to work on a mystery dungeon fan game, since I already had it and didn't have to buy RPGmaker (Pokemon Essentials wouldn't really help me since mystery dungeon's mechanics are completely different than the main series mechanics anyway). It's actually a very enjoyable IDE to work with, uses a scripting language similar to JavaScript/C/Java, and it's perfect for making 2D games. It also supports cross-platform development.

Last edited:
Back