• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 3] Pokemon AS Shiny Run

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
So....this challenge is one that I'm going to possibly hate later down the line. Now then the rules I'm giving myself.
1.I cannot progress through the game till I catch everyone shiny Pokemon within a route. (Not counting the national dex.)
2.If I cannot find the evolution of a pokemon down the line I have to catch a duplicate of it before progressing. (EX: Have to catch two Poochyena on the first route before progressing. Pokemon that need to be traded might wait for a while since I still need to connect my internet to it.)
3.By the end of the game I should have a full shiny dex of each route to complete the challenge.
4. (Optional/if I feel like it.) I have to get the National Dex before I enter the elite four and champion fight and get every single shiny once again, as if I am replaying the game. Once finished I'd select the 6 Pokemon that took the longest to get and use them to beat the elite four and champion.

So with those rules stated lets see how far I get in the game and if I can actually complete the challenge or not. Of course the first Pokemon to hunt is the starter....I might stall with this one since I am not a fan of soft reset hunts, but can't start the challenge till I get the starter.

*Current Targets*
252.gif

~Dex~
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
And just after 200 SRs I got the shiny Treecko who I named Chris cause he always reminds me of a Christmas tree. Regardless I got one of the shiny and possibly one of the time consuming hunts. So now I'll have to battle May so I can get Pokeballs and also be able to use the Dexnav. If this wasn't what happened then I might've had to have done Random Encounters on both Route 101 and Route 103 which would've been tedious since I would have had to gotten 2 Poochyenas along with the other Pokemon. But, yeah once I battle May and get everything I'll be able to now hunt for the rest of the Pokemon.

*Current Targets*
261.gif
262.gif
263.gif
265.gif

~Dex~
Spoiler:

Chris
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
So....I know I've been dead for a while....but here is what I have so far! Just.......one mon.....sadly....But I will try to get the rest!

*Current Targets*
262.gif
263.gif
265.gif

~Dex~
Spoiler:

Poochyena
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
So....it's been a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time since I gave any sort of update to this. And all I can say is I lost a bit of motivation to do this as I was too consumed in trying to multitask multiple things which, sort of failed. But, we're not here to talk about that, we're here to talk about an update! So...I can safely say I am still on the first route, surprise. I know, if I had been on top of this challenge, I would have beaten the second gym at this point. But, we're in the present, we're here and just continuing the encounters. And speaking of encounters, the current target, Wurmple, is being difficult. With a maxed out dexnav of 999 and a total encounter of 1066, this is bringing me flashbacks to Shellder in Lets Go at a chain of 500. And just like Shellder, I have yet to gain either of them and put them on the sideline. But, there is a bright side to things. Like with how many Poochyena, Wurmple, and Zigagoons we've battled, we have managed to evolve Treecko into Sceptile and Poochyena into Mightyena. So we have some form of progress. But, sadly that is all the progress I can report on. So until next time, I will hopefully give another update when we get a Wurmple or give another update within April 8th of 2023, just to be on brand of no progress and late reports. Until then, more encounters and maybe a Starly will appear before then or possibly a new journal for a challenge that I may start on.

*Current Targets*
261.gif
263.gif
265.gif

~Dex~
Spoiler:

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I just want to say that I have a lot of respect for you just for attempting this challenge. I don't have the patience to do this at all, granted I do enjoy shinies lol. Keep it up, I wish you best of luck, I look forward to your future updates!

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
WE HAVE AN UPDATE!!!!!!!!!! After a total of 1393 Dexnav encounters, we have finally found our lovely, purple Wurmple! I did not expect him to take this long nor was I expecting to get it anytime soon with how many encounters this little bugger has been taking. But, honestly I was expecting this as well as the previous time I hunted Wurmple, it took around 800+ Dexnavs. So still on brand with the long encounters for this little bug and honestly I was thinking to do this hunt last. But, alas we got our purple bug and now just onto the golden pup and the orange trash panda! And I was hunting the trash panda in between the Wurmple and....every time it'd get the +10 level boost, each one of the dexnav stats would be at the max. And I was over here thinking, am I going to get an egg move, 3 star, level 15, hidden ability shiny Zigzagoon way before I get just a single no iv, no egg move, basic ability, low level Wurmple. But, turns out I got the no iv, no egg move, basic ability, level 5 Wurmple first! So yeah....and within just a few days of the last post! So yay! Now just the last two and we can hopefully move onto the next route! Course I'm debating on going to the route with Wingull just to get that out the way or move onto the route with Lotad, Surskit, and Ralts. Either way, I will do whatever on the first route to gain the last two shinies! Oh and one more thing.....does anyone know whether or not I can soft reset the Latios/Latias during the Team Aqua/Magma fight when you first encounter the eon duos?

*Current*Targets*
261.gif
263.gif

~Dex~
Spoiler:

wurmple
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Awesome!
The Latios and Latias in ORAS are NOT shiny locked, so good luck hunting them when you get there :)

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
Ah thanks! Though I was wondering if the first time you encounter them, if they could be shiny hunted right there and then. Cause if so then.......yay.....that's going to be a fun hunt XD And I also uh...forgot the 4th optional rule that I put and if I go through it, that means Wurmple is most likely a member I'd be using for the elite 4 and champion fight XD

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
WELP WE GOT ANOTHER UPDATE PEOPLE! HEAR YE HEAR YE, WE GOT A SHINY POOCHYENA AFTER 25 DEXNAVS! I'm just.....I'm just shocked at how fast Poochyena showed up. Not only is it a high level dexnav, but also with the egg move Me First! Which, isn't really the best, but this makes the second shiny Poochyena now that have egg moves when found! And here I thought I was going to save Poochyena for last since I have already found one so it may be a while till the luck lines up! But, I guess the Wurmple curse has been lifted from the game and is opening the gateway of the shinies. Now lets just see how long Zigzagoon will take and whether it will be just as much of a saint as this Poochyena has been with time and short encounters. Until then, the hunt for the first route pokemon continues! Until next time!

*Current*Targets*
263.gif

~Dex~
Spoiler:

Poochyena
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
Seeing these updates really makes me want to shiny hunt.

I got a shiny Mudkip through soft-resetting some time ago... I'll have to check if I still have the save file or traded him out for a clean playthrough...

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 22, 2022
Holy crap you're attempting this on a 3ds and not an emulator with speed up? Your mental fortitude is incredible. Hopefully you dont get tired of playing pkmn after this run lol, wish you the best of luck!

Also shiny treecko is the best shiny hoenn starter 👌

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
Yeah, just taking the time with doing everything on 3ds, since when I started the challenge I had no clue how to really emulate 3ds games and I would often do it at school, at the time, so I couldn't really use an emulator ^^" So yeah! I hope that I don't get tired either, but thanks for the luck!

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
AND WE HAVE OFFICIALLY MADE IT PAST THE FIRST ROUTE!!! After a while of hunting Poochyena, Wurmple, and Zigzagoon, we have officially captured each one of them! With the count for the dex totaling 5 now! Though we have managed 6 shinies, as the search for Zigzagoon resulted in our Goldie Locks, the Play Roughing Poochyena that showed up after the first DexNav of the day! I was not expecting for it to come, but that is the first duplicate shiny I have and might be an omen to come. Whether it be good or not, I take it as a sign for some luck to come my way! Though lets hope we can carry that luck onto the next route, that is if I decide to go on the Route above Oldale Town or to the left, since I would like to get Wingull as soon as possible to get rid of a Pokemon I need to get later on, but at the same time I can hunt it on the route after we go through our Dad's gym. But, whatever I decide on, we have official made a significant start to this challenge!

*Current*Targets*
N/A
~Dex~
Spoiler:

Ziggy Zig
Spoiler:

Goldie Lock
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
Four scores and 350 dexnavs so far and I have yet to capture the elusive shiny WIngull. Of course I do not imagine ever stopping the hunt, but I do wish and hope and pray that this Wingull, the green winged birb , will show itself soon, hopefully under 500 Dexnavs or at least not as many as Wurmple has taken. As the rate I'm going at, that may as well be a few months till I gain such a rare creature. But, until then, the hunt continues and the updates shall continue as well. Whether I have something to show or empty handed, I will not let this personal challenge go without updates, to be beaten by the stress of the idea or of thinking of how to update. But, uh.....yeah have nothing so till then, lets get Wingull!

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
Hello hello everyone! I am happy to report that today, we have managed to find and capture the green winged Wingull! After about 591 Dexnavs we got our own shiny birb! I was not expecting it to have appeared today, but that is shiny pokemon for ya! Honestly might keep going with my method of 50 Dexnavs a day since it only takes about an hour while doing huge chunks of shiny hunting ^^ But, that is aside from the point. If being honest, I was expecting a shiny Poochyena to come first before the Wingull, but I was happily proven wrong! And with this, we have Route 103 completed! Well, the land dwelling Pokemon completed that is! We may need to hunt in the water for Tentacool and Wailmer and possibly Corphish, but that is a worry for another day! What we will focus on next is the next route, going for a shiny Ralts, Lotad, and Surskit! Which, out of the three, I am looking forward to hunting Surskit since I've never had a shiny Surskit before. And I'm not looking forward to Ralts since that is one of the only few shinies I have failed since I was afraid it had teleport the first time I hunted it. So....yeah might make Ralts the first thing I hunt or the last with Lotad being happily sandwiched between the two!

*Current*Targets*
lotad.gif
ralts.gif
surskit.gif

~Dex~
Spoiler:

Wingull
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
My god. You are absolutely off your rocker for even thinking of this, and I respect you immensely for it.

Congrats on all the shiny babies you have already caught/resetted for, and best of luck finding all the ones yet to come. 🥺

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
So a tiny update/rule change to the challenge. Something I sort of maybe forgot about was trade evolutions which....I currently can't do right now. My DS isn't set up to the internet as of now, but I may not do that for a while. So as of now, for this challenge, I will not be evolving the Pokemon that require trade evolutions. What I will do instead is still hunt for the base Pokemon and nickname it that pokemon (i.e. Rhyhorn would be Rhyperior). I was debating on either doing that or just not count the pokemon entirely and just go for like Rhyhorn and Rhydon, but not worry about Rhyperior, but that would sort of go against the challenge. So yeah! Quick tiny update on that matter, now back to Dexnaving the Ralts, which I forgot....I need 4 of these things so.....yay....

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
Hey hey hey! Y'all, we just got ourselves another crewmate in the collection! We managed to obtain a shiny Lotad after 3 Dexnav encounters today, for a grand total of 105 dexnavs in total! I was pretty shocked, but at the same time not really as I had the weird sense of getting the shiny today! But, that marks one pokemon down on this route, 5 more to go! Lets just hope that Surskit and every Ralts will be this friendly. If not then.....we're going to be in some troubling stalemate till they eventually show.

*Current*Targets*
ralts.gif
kirlia.gif
gardevoir.gif
gallade.gif
surskit.gif

~Dex~
Spoiler:

lotad
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
So I have an unfortunate announcement to make. I have encountered a shiny Ralts! How is that unfortunate? Well.......it had Teleport........yeah..........onto the next Ralts I suppose.....

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
So I have an unfortunate announcement to make. I have encountered a shiny Ralts! How is that unfortunate? Well.......it had Teleport........yeah..........onto the next Ralts I suppose.....

Noooooo! I'm so sorry this happened to you. I also understand your disappointment, as I have myself lost a shiny Ralts due to Teleport.

Just curious, have you looked into whether any of the Mons you have can learn a move that blocks escape? You should probably have one handy, because Ralts is not the only Mon in this game that is hell to catch due to Teleport - there's also Abra.

Back