• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST: 20 Years of Pokemon Snapshots

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
  • 20 YEARS OF POKEMON SNAPSHOTS

What does this event involve?

Main Contest
    DO NOT ENTER POKEMON GO SCREENSHOTS FOR THIS ENTRY
    Time to bring out your cameras and boot up your camera phone apps! The GT Photography Contest is back!
    Since it's the 20th anniversary of Pokemon this year, we'll be doing something a little more special!

Participants are challenged with taking photos and combine them with Pokemon images/ sprites to create Pokemon Snap/ GO-like photography. Entries will be judged based on photo quality, edit quality, uniqueness of idea etc.

Your photos can be taken on anything that is able to take a photo! So don't worry if you don't have the fanciest DSLR camera out there - you're phone will be just fine!

Bonus Pokemon GO Contest
    TBA

Rules

• Do not steal other peoples work and claim as your own.
    • Always leave a link to the pokemon render or sprite you use.
    • The maximum size for the photo is 1000 x 1000
    • You MUST put your photo in a spoiler!
    • Only insert Pokemon that are OFFICIAL art or in-game sprites. You may NOT use art work that is created by other artists.
    • Your entry must contain 1 or more pokemon in the image.
    • Any photo taken previously can be edited and used for this competition.

Judges

zappyspiker, Nina & Forever

Schedule.

Competition Begins Friday 12th July
    Entries Closed Wednesday 20th July Time: TBD
    Judging: Thursday 21st July Time: TBD
    Results Out: Friday July 22nd Time: TBD

Prizes.

Every person who participates in the contest will get an emblem! But there will be more for those who go the extra mile.

PokeSnapshot Participant
    This member participated in the 2016 GT14 20 Years of Pokemon Snapshots event
    pudsUJ1.png

PokeSnapshot Runner-Up:
    So close, yet so far! This member was the runner-up for the 2016 GT14 20 Years of Pokemon Snapshots event
    ZVikzeo.png

PokeSnapshot Winner:
    This Snapshot Master took away first place in the 2016 GT14 20 Years of Pokemon Snapshots event.
    iKRf9Gl.png

Examples.

ykQhiWc.png
    gTXmw7n.png

Spoiler:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I just went out on an adventure this weekend, saw this thread, and thought why not!

Sources
    Spoiler:

My Entry //
    Spoiler:

Good luck to all :]

Years
  • My judgements! Look out for the rest, but here's my thoughts!

acatfrommars

There's just something about that dude in a Hawaiian shirt that is just the funniest to me~
    I like the editing of the photo itself in terms of blues vs the reds, but I feel like Moltres could have been brought into the image a little more. The other problem is with depth, in that the moletres doesn't feel like it's really inside the image. It should be maybe a bit farther off, smaller, and maybe rotated to look like it's swooping down since it's so very close to the surface of the water. I like the image itself and the position of the man, but the technical implementations of the pokemon need to be stronger.

Battle Girl Spoony

(My choice for runner-up)

I think the concept is really adorable! Having real squirrels jumping around makes it a cute picture! The only thing though is that the original picture is a little blurry! It could use some sharpening and a little bit of color correction. In that way, the Emolga have not been properly adapted to the lighting and depth of the image. Making the one is the back slightly blurry, while maybe make the on in the top be flying behind the feeder might have been a way to make them more intergraded into the image. The Emolga running away is I think the more proper size of it should be in comparison to the squirrels, but the one in the bench in bigger than that one in the foreground. While the technically application and the editing of the photo isn't stellar, I really do the love the concept of this one.

Kaori

(My winner choice)

Very beautiful! It was a good choice for the pokemon to not be the most prominent element, it helps them fit in. I didn't even see the weedle at first! The only issue I have is that that Milotic tail is MIGHTY large compared to to the side of the river. Like bigger than Nessie, I'm not sure if Milotic is really that big? Other than that, it's blended really well, and there are appropriate lighting/color adjustments on al of the pokemon. I'd like to see a bit more blending for that Milotic tail under the bushes infront of it in the way that the oddish is behind the rock to really sell it to me, but it's already a very great work! Conceptually it's very strong as the inclusion of a human really solidifies the pokemon in the wild.

Infinite

This is a very good technical work! It's a wonderful photo for the Mega Alakazam as well as just a nice photo in general. The editing and effects make it really unique. The pokemon is integrated into it's environment in a way that makes sense, however, not in a very exciting way. It's technically good and makes a nice image, but it's not very exciting.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Awesome job everyone :)

Battle Girl Spoony
    Concept wise this is my absolute favourite. Does anyone remember that little garden just outside of Striaton in Black and White? This captures it perfectly. However the actual garden (in b2w2 at least) has wild Stunfisk roaming it at night. So for that reason I'd have preferred Emolga. But I get why it was chosen so gj. Image wise it's more blurry than I'd have liked. It's also too dark personally, to properly match the game I would have shot it about 3pm on a sunny day, with or without the squirrels. It would be captured the magic a little more. If you weren't going for that vibe it's OK, though, because it worked out well :)

acatfrommars
    This image reminds me of Instagram filters. I get why you used those colours but you could have gotten the same effect using a more natural colour approach. I would have moved Moltres a little closer to where the light is coming from but I believe he's looking at Moltres so props to that.

Kaori
    Hey my girl. I believe it. I believe he's really photographing Milotic. I do agree on it being a little larger but it's otherwise great. I'd have moved Celebi somewhere out of the way though so you can barely see it (as it's mysterious) good job otherwise though.

Infinite
    I really like the effect you used. I totally get the location but in contrast to pink and yellow... it looks a little odd. The black element to the left is also a little distracting too. I would have brightened both sides too. I think to really make it stand out you could have shot it from below. That would have given Mega Zam a position of power over the viewer which would have made it pretty compelling.

So with that said, for me both Kaori and Battle Girl Spoony are my joint winners as they reflect the concept the best. :)

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years

• MY PICKS

acatfrommars
    The first thing I thought of when I saw your photo was the image of Ash watching Ho-Oh flying through the sky.
    I do like your choice of Moltres since it stands out on the photo and your eyes are drawn immediately towards it. The choice of Moltres combined with the person in red feels like an instant connection between the two and doesn't shove them aside as being unimportant. Although as mentioned, the positioning of the moltres would have done better within where the light was shining most and I do wish the quality of the moltres didn't end so pixelish, but overall a well done!

Battle Girl Spoony
    I really enjoyed this concept ! I really liked your integration of Pokemon with real animals - it made your concept seem both fun and enjoyable! Choosing Emolga as your core pokemon to edit in was a great choice works with your rodent theme. I do wish that the emolga edits and the squirrels felt more together since aside from small creatures running around. The emolga were very light in comparison to the rest of the environment/ squirrels and I wished the squirrels would have been able to stand out a little bit more than be just background. There wasn't much of a focal point, but it kinda does work with the concept. Quality of the photograph did need a bit of work since it's quite blurry, but other than that nice job!

Kaori
    This stood out to me as both my favourite concept and best in terms of edit quality. The one thing I really enjoyed about this piece is how you managed to incorporate the sprite within the original photo to change the meaning and story of the photo as a whole - no longer just a photographer but a photographer capturing the beauty of the Pokemon world. Your choice of pokemon and the mix of using both front and back sprites was quite different and well executed - do also like how they're almost looking at the photographer too! I do like how the milotic tail was made a little more blurry to show it in the distance, but wished it was slightly smaller. The weedle was a bit of a hit or miss with me since it felt a little separated from the rest of the characters in the photo, but overall a fantastic entry!

Infinite
    This entry gave me great feels of great satisfactory and felt really pleasing to look at. Your choice of location works with your choice of Pokemon making it feel that Alakazam is meant to be there. Positioning and sizing of Alakazam on the photo, where it was placed within the environment and the colours of the Pokemon mixed within the photo felt at one with the rest of the composition and soothing to the eye. Although simplicity is nice, the photo however does feel quite safe. It made me wish more was done to make both Mega Alakazam and the overall photo stand out a little more. Great Entry though - I really enjoyed it!

My pick for winner goes to Kaori and a tough tie for runner up for me went to Battle Girl Spoony and Infinite.

OVERALL WINNERS

PokeSnapshot Runner-Up: Battle Girl Spoony
    So close, yet so far! This member was the runner-up for the 2016 GT14 20 Years of Pokemon Snapshots event
    ZVikzeo.png

PokeSnapshot Winner: Kaori
    This Snapshot Master took away first place in the 2016 GT14 20 Years of Pokemon Snapshots event.
    iKRf9Gl.png

Congrats to both winners! And thank you to acatfrommars and Infinite for entering! You both also had really awesome entries! And a huge thank you to Nina & Forever for helping host and judge the event!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Congrats, Kaori! I loved that picture! ^^

Didn't expect to place so that was a nice surprise, thank you! :)

Really enjoyed the event and everyone's pictures! Thank you for hosting! :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Yeah I don't have Photoshop or Lightroom anymore so I kinda just slapped it together just for fun. :)

Back