• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is mega Tyranitar worth using?

2Fruit

Aka 2Fruit
Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2019
    I've seen players use all sorts of mega evolutions. I've seen Mega Pidgeot, Sableye, Charizard, Blastoise, Swampert, and Latios, and even Mega Manectric. But I hardly if ever see mega Tar. Why is that, when mega TTar has:

164 attack
    150 defense
    A huge movepool
    Dragon dance to boost it's power
    Sandstorm to boost it's special defense and deny focus sash

I know it's got a 4X weakness to fighting, but is that enough to make it a bad pokemon?

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • As a major proponent of the T, I can confidently say that it works. With significant support. Tyranitar's not gonna take a Technician-boosted Mach Punch from you-know-who and it doesn't get priority of its own, it can't take a Low Kick from just about anything that gets access to that move, and running it as a Mega prevents you from using Mega Venusaur, which is the natural answer to most things that threaten it, AND it sacrifices Chople Berry to hold a mega stone (another thing that can make it viable) AND for the most part, the D-Dance set is predictable and easy to play around because it's a de facto set. I had a hard time even running it with Baton Pass support. In hindsight, and in testing, I think it might work with a defensive Volcarona for support. But there are still some shared weaknesses to account for there, so... I dunno, I'll see.

It's a surprisingly technical Pokemon to master for something with such high stats, and that makes it impractical for a lot of players who can run a Lando-T or Terrakion with much more ease.

It's easier in Doubles though, because redirection makes it easier to set up a D Dance, and then for the most part it's game over.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Surprisingly, regular Tyranitar overshadows Mega Tyranitar because there's now a huge opportunity cost in using its Mega form when better Megas like Metagross, Gallade, Gyarados, Charizard, Lopunny, Diancie and Altaria are available. Also, some of these Megas make it even more difficult for it to use its trademark Dragon Dance set because Altaria and Charizard have better defensive typings to make setting up easier, while Tyranitar is cursed with 7 relatively common weaknesses.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • personally think megatar is bad/was always bad, how trouble with a huge number of defensive pokemon and just can't threaten bulky builds at all. hippowdon, clefable, slowbro (most of these don't run crunch), ferrothorn (if no fire punch), chesnaught, sableye-mega, etc. give it much trouble, and bulky offense teams often run keldeo and/or scarf landorus-t which function as nice checks, among other things (prankster-wave and even stuff like cb scizor or mmeta which needs to be weakened to be put into fire punch range). also, relying on stone edge and its poor accuracy SUCKS.

all that said, it's perfectly usable and has some decent matchups. it can set up on almost all of the tier because its bulk is so good. it just isn't a great hole puncher. there are superior megas.

Years
  • It is rather unfortunate that this Mega Evolution has so little separating it from its normal counterpart. Mega Scizor is one kind of in the same boat and not one you see often either…

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • It is rather unfortunate that this Mega Evolution has so little separating it from its normal counterpart. Mega Scizor is one kind of in the same boat and not one you see often either…

You're wrong about that. Mega Scizor is bulkier than its regular form, which is why it sees more use, and unlike Mega Tyranitar, Mega Scizor has the typing to make use of its increased bulk.

Back